Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Service Suspended NYP-NHV

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1552021  by Gilbert B Norman

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/amtrak-ser ... d-nhv.html

A CSX freight derailed somewhere in The Bronx, resulting in the suspension of all Amtrak service NY-New Haven.

Here's media coverage:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/traffic/tran ... t/2607252/

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/4698 ... nts-point/
 #1552041  by RRspatch

Doesn't look too bad to me as neither of Amtrak's two tracks (concrete ties) appear to be effected. The only thing I could think of is if that box car leaning against that catenary structure knocked the wires out of alignment.

Edit: A post in the CSXT sub forum mentions wires down. I guess that box car hit that catenary structure pretty hard. They're a lot of catenary poles on the PRR section that have some good size dents in them from encounters with derailed cars over the years.
 #1552054  by Rockingham Racer

BandA wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:02 pm Why didn't Amtrak just re-route to NYG?
Probably because there's no contingency plan in place for that. That would be too forward-thinking and organized for the current Amtrak regime to consider.
 #1552059  by Jeff Smith

Why not run to Stamford and turn there? I can understand New Rochelle would be tough (I heard one NEC did terminate there). At least at Stamford you can transfer to an MNRR express to NYG and back, and not foul up the railroad too much.
 #1552100  by shadyjay

It would be nice if Amtrak could have the "route to GCT" option, but they don't.... nothing at least for a "short-term closure". The route into Grand Central utilizes catenary up to Pelham (a station or so west of New Rochelle), and then its third rail for the remainder. Amtrak doesn't own any electric locomotives that can operate off both catenary and third rail electric. I believe the last ones to have that capability were the NYNH&H's EP-5s of the 1950s, and they didn't last long. Sure, the electric MUs of Metro North's New Haven Line have that capability, but there is no locomotive that can do such today at present.

It is possible that if there were a prolonged closure, it may be possible to run Amtrak into GCT from New Haven, but you'd need the P32AC-DMs (diesel and third rail capability), and those are captive to the Empire Corridor in NYS where they're needed in/out of Penn.

From an Amtrak standpoint, it makes more sense to turn its trains in New Haven if they can't get into NYP. Amtrak has a yard, crews, etc there and trains can be turned there better than at some point on the New Haven Line, whether it be Bridgeport, Stamford, etc. A train can get out of the way easier in New Haven as well, whether it goes into the yard, put on a platform track, or brought up to Amtrak-only territory north of State St.
 #1552103  by WhartonAndNorthern

shadyjay wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:44 pm

It is possible that if there were a prolonged closure, it may be possible to run Amtrak into GCT from New Haven, but you'd need the P32AC-DMs (diesel and third rail capability), and those are captive to the Empire Corridor in NYS where they're needed in/out of Penn.

They'd also need to re-rig the third rail shoes as the Amtrak units are rigged for LIRR-style third rail for the Empire Connection and East River Tunnels and not MetroNorth style (underrunning?). M8's can change on the fly. P32's need to be "yarded."
 #1552110  by Acela150

As has been stated, no overhead into Grand Central.
Jeff Smith wrote:Why not run to Stamford and turn there? I can understand New Rochelle would be tough (I heard one NEC did terminate there). At least at Stamford you can transfer to an MNRR express to NYG and back, and not foul up the railroad too much.
No place to turn the trains around there. No wye or loop.
 #1552113  by 8th Notch

Rockingham Racer wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:55 am
Probably because there's no contingency plan in place for that. That would be too forward-thinking and organized for the current Amtrak regime to consider.
You do realize that it’s just not a simple task to turn around and say “oh hey let’s send the trains to GCT.” Amtrak does not control GCT, the equipment cannot just be sent to GCT, and not every crew is qualified to GCT.