Railroad Forums 

• Trip Report: Los Angeles to Seattle onboard the Coast Starlight

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1622990  by Jeff Smith

Here's a decent guide to riding the Starlight: https://www.thrillist.com/amphtml/trave ... ight-guide
Your Guide to Riding One of Amtrak’s Most Scenic Train Routes Along the Pacific Coast
Amtrak trains provide a variety of seating accommodations depending on the route. The Coast Starlight includes Lower/Upper-Level Coach Class, a Superliner Roomette option, and four different Superliner Bedroom options. Of note, unlike flying, Amtrak offers ample space in Coach. As for choosing a lower or upper-level seat, that all depends on your disposition. While seats on the upper level may offer a better view, they also experience heavier foot traffic as the train’s throughway among cars. Meanwhile, the lower seats are closer to the restrooms and any larger luggage you may be traveling with.

Roomette and Bedroom options are considered First-Class and come with a dedicated attendant, complimentary lounge access, priority boarding, and complimentary meals. The bedrooms also offer much more space as well as private restroom and shower access in your car.
I was fortunate enough to snag a sleeper car via the Roomette. If you’re comfortable with a communal restroom and shower, which I am, the Roomette is perfect for a solo traveler in search of a main character moment, which I was. Outfitted with everything from outlets to a selfie mirror, but not Wi-Fi, it was the perfect place to disconnect for an unforgettable experience. The views kept my eyes glued to the window for almost the entirety of the trip save for nighttime, which obscures parts of Oregon and Northern California, but not before I was treated to snowfall that called to mind a Narnia adventure as we passed through pine-filled mountain ranges. That said, if you’re not in a coast-side sleeper, your best bet for the best views is to find a seat on the right side of southbound trains and the left side of northbound trains or to head to the observation car, which offers floor-to-ceiling views of everything along the way. Wherever you find yourself, the move is to sit back and relax as the train weaves its way through the overwhelmingly beautiful tapestry of America, providing ocean views that will literally make you cry. Yes, I did sob. Don’t worry. The train slows down along the water so you can fully take in the beauty, let go of your emotional baggage, and dry your eyes with the provided tissues.