Railroad Forums 

• Joe Biden political ad features Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1550769  by StLouSteve

Some good Amtrak scenes including Horseshoe Curve and Superliners so obviously not all shot on the NEC.

Not posting for political reasons but because it is interesting to see a major candidate incorporating Amtrak into his campaign --reminds me of the role whistle stop train tours used to play in national elections:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/202 ... tion-2020/
 #1550779  by urr304

In 1992, Bill Clinton was on the cover of Railfan & Railroad with an Amtrak engineer's cap. Tha did a lot of good for trains, reference the 1996 [or was it 1995] cuts.
 #1550783  by BandA

Surprised to see in one of the puff pieces during the convention a photo of young-but-serious Joe Biden standing on a platform in front of a cab car with the worm logo on the front, presumably a brand-new Metroliner.
 #1550784  by bostontrainguy

I thought it was rather interesting that in his acceptance speech he spoke of infrastructure needs and never mention high speed rail. I don't think he even mentioned "rail" although he might have said "transit" but I don't remember anything about intercity rail. Maybe Amtrak Joe is long gone?
 #1550788  by BandA

By "infrastructure" he meant bike paths :smiley: Is there a party platform, or a campaign platform for "transportation infrastructure" for either candidate?
 #1550794  by STrRedWolf

Going to the candidate's sites...

Biden:
Transforming our crumbling transportation infrastructure – including roads and bridges, rail, aviation, ports, and inland waterways – making the movement of goods and people faster, cheaper, cleaner, and manufactured in America while preserving and growing the union workforce. Biden will also transform the energy sources that power the transportation sector, making it easier for mobility to be powered by electricity and clean fuels, including commuter trains, school and transit buses, ferries, and passenger vehicles. The resulting reduction in air pollution will save thousands of lives and millions in medical costs burdening families.

Sparking the second great railroad revolution. Biden will make sure that America has the cleanest, safest, and fastest rail system in the world — for both passengers and freight. His rail revolution will reduce pollution, connect workers to good union jobs, slash commute times, and spur investment in communities that will now be better linked to major metropolitan areas. To speed that work, Biden will tap existing federal grant and loan programs at the U.S. Department of Transportation, and improve and streamline the loan process. In addition, Biden will work with Amtrak and private freight rail companies to further electrify the rail system, reducing diesel fuel emissions.
 #1550798  by bostontrainguy

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:19 pm Going to the candidate's sites...

Biden:
Sparking the second great railroad revolution. Biden will make sure that America has the cleanest, safest, and fastest rail system in the world — for both passengers and freight. His rail revolution will reduce pollution, connect workers to good union jobs, slash commute times, and spur investment in communities that will now be better linked to major metropolitan areas. To speed that work, Biden will tap existing federal grant and loan programs at the U.S. Department of Transportation, and improve and streamline the loan process. In addition, Biden will work with Amtrak and private freight rail companies to further electrify the rail system, reducing diesel fuel emissions.
I hate to say it but if he gets in and puts back all of the regulations that Trump removed (like the full permitting and environmental reviews) he won't live long enough to see any of it.
 #1550800  by eolesen

I'm still looking for all the promises of the 2008 and 2012 winners' promises on high speed rail to materialize... if they didn't do it then, what makes anyone believe it now?
 #1550802  by David Benton

- 100 mph running on the Michigan line - done
- recreate (?), 100 or so Amfleet 's refurbished and back in service , done.
- track work on ST.Louis line , done.
- Start on Cakifornia hsr , Done.
-order for bi level corrido r cars,changed to single , getting there.
Talgo series 8 trtains , built , now going into service.
I think there only real mistake was labelling the projects HSR, California been the only real HSR in the projects (Florida ditched by R Governer).
 #1550813  by RRspatch

bostontrainguy wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:35 pm I thought it was rather interesting that in his acceptance speech he spoke of infrastructure needs and never mention high speed rail. I don't think he even mentioned "rail" although he might have said "transit" but I don't remember anything about intercity rail. Maybe Amtrak Joe is long gone?
We don't need High Speed rail in this country, at least not yet. What we do need is conventional speed rail (up to 90 MPH) with more regional and long distance trains. Build on what we have for now.
 #1550838  by mtuandrew

RRspatch: some markets do need it, even if we can’t see the need yet. The ones that need it most for congestion and environmental relief are getting it though: MIA-ORL, DAL-HOU, LAX-LAS, eventually LAX-SFO. Hoping Joe is ready to step in with either Federal backing or a buyout if Brightline or Texas Central throws in the towel on any of those routes.

ATL-CLT-RGH is the next big concatenated corridor that I think needs HSR. That said, it won’t be completed by 2024 even if a bill was placed on Joe Biden’s desk on day one should he be elected.
 #1550856  by west point

Although personally support ATL - CLT - RGH believe RGH - Richmond has more potential with the connection that will be available to / from the NEC. The "S" line could be completed by end of 4 yers that would give HrSR between RGH - Petersburg and 70 MPH on to wash. Not bad as one small step for quicker travel ?