Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Station Experience

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1546340  by Traingeek3629

Here in the Northeast, there luckily aren't many Amshacks. Certain stations, such as Windsor Locks CT, definitely need an upgrade (it already gets good ridership) but there aren't many total dumps I can think of off the top of my head.
 #1546342  by njtmnrrbuff

Windsor Locks is slated to get high level platforms at a location about a mile up the right of way.

In PA along the Keystone Corridor, Elizabethtown Station with the high level platforms is very nice! That on top of a nicely restored waiting room. High level platforms continue to be built along the Keystone Corridor.
 #1546347  by R36 Combine Coach

Westernstar1 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:14 pm For example, Santa Barbara Calif. has had a homeless problem, at their Amtrak station, for years. Of course, a big problem for Penn Central Stn and Union Stn in Washington, DC . A few years ago, there was a homeless guy living
in a tent atop the Amtrak station in Antioch, Calif. In other words, I think too many Amtrak stations are not
"family friendly".
Newark Penn Station also has a homeless issue, though the facility is well managed under
NJT auspices.

As for travel experiences, NYP is not particularly friendly, given trains and track assignments are often only posted
10 minutes before scheduled time, leading to a frenzy. At HOB, for example you can arrive early, find your track
and relax on board until the departure time. Do other NEC stations (terminals such as WAS and BOS) allow "pre-
boarding"?
 #1546427  by Greg Moore

I agree that the Amtrak Station experience is not always great.
BUT, one of the things to keep in mind is that Amtrak doesn't own many (most?) of their stations. They're owned by the communities they're in or by private owners and Amtrak rents from them.
And unlike many businesses, Amtrak can't simply pick another location, they obviously need something on the tracks, ideally with some parking.

Yes, obviously stations that Amtrak owns, like NYP could be improved upon.
And fortunately, NYS is upgrading its stations, Albany was replaced close to 20 years ago, Schenectady has been replaced, Buffalo being upgraded, Rochester rebuilt, and Niagara Falls. I'm probably missing 1 or 2.
But, NYS has decent ridership.

I think in many communities it's a chicken and egg problem. "We have 1 train a day in each direction, barely anyone rides it. Why should we improve it?" and then of course, "Why should I ride the 1 train a day when the station is a dump and the train only comes at 3:00 AM".

One idea that occurs to me, if Amtrak is serious about increasing corridor service, tie it to certain station improvements and requirements. "Oh you want the 2 new trains a day to stop at your station? Great. For a town your size you need at least 5 parking spots, clean bathrooms, etc."

I will say, I've been fortunate, most of the stations I've stopped at I would say have been quite nice. Perhaps the smallest I've stopped at in years was Klamath Falls, and that was quite nice, but also daylight service. Had it been 3:00 AM, I might feel differently.

So, for many communities, I don't expect much of an improvement unless they get a local cheerleader.
 #1546452  by NaugyRR

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Westernstar1 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:14 pm For example, Santa Barbara Calif. has had a homeless problem, at their Amtrak station, for years. Of course, a big problem for Penn Central Stn and Union Stn in Washington, DC . A few years ago, there was a homeless guy living
in a tent atop the Amtrak station in Antioch, Calif. In other words, I think too many Amtrak stations are not
"family friendly".
Newark Penn Station also has a homeless issue, though the facility is well managed under
NJT auspices.

As for travel experiences, NYP is not particularly friendly, given trains and track assignments are often only posted
10 minutes before scheduled time, leading to a frenzy. At HOB, for example you can arrive early, find your track
and relax on board until the departure time. Do other NEC stations (terminals such as WAS and BOS) allow "pre-
boarding"?
I'm almost always on an Empire train, so I know to park my butt along the escalator across from Dunkin' thirty minutes/+ before departure, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

#1546573  by Westernstar1

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:25 pm
I will say, I've been fortunate, most of the stations I've stopped at I would say have been quite nice. Perhaps the smallest I've stopped at in years was Klamath Falls, and that was quite nice, but also daylight service. Had it been 3:00 AM, I might feel differently.
I'm glad for your positive report of the Amtrak depot in Klamath Falls, Mr. Moore.

I have been, for some time now, thinking of taking the Starlight from N. Calif. up to Klamath. There is a "Point" bus service that will pick you up at the Klamath Falls Amtrak depot and take you to points west, such as Medford and Ashland. My destination would be Medford, Jacksonville, Ashland, and possibly a rental car to McCloud, Calif. There is a 2 hr wait, at the Klamath Falls Amtrak depot, before the westbound Point bus leaves. On the way back, about a 3 hr. wait until the Coast Starlight, southbound, arrives at Klamath. I'm hoping the Klamath depot would be ok for the long wait. Also, are there nearby restaurants you can recommend within walking distance of the Klamath station?

Richard
Last edited by mtuandrew on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: fixed a quote error
 #1546597  by shadyjay

Traingeek3629 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:10 pm Here in the Northeast, there luckily aren't many Amshacks. Certain stations, such as Windsor Locks CT, definitely need an upgrade (it already gets good ridership) but there aren't many total dumps I can think of off the top of my head.
Yeah, especially in New England, we really lucked out with keeping original stations and not relying on Amshacks. In fact, the only ones built in New England were Springfield and Worcester, and both of those were replaced with restored Union Stations. There are only a small handful of "platform only" stations.

The only station that I can think of in New England that could be improved is Brattleboro. It's one of the busiest stops on the line and the present cave station (in the basement of Union Station) shares a platform with a driveway and blocks a major road during station stops. Because of the lay of the land, you're below the grade level of the main downtown area. Not sure what location would better suit it.

After a brief closure in Mystic (when the C of C moved out), the station is accessible to patrons again, though not staffed. Westerly is sort of still open but more as an art exhibit gallery, since Amtrak pulled the agent. Its a nice old station, well maintained, and should have staffing again.

Hartford Line stations were rebuilt south of Hartford 2 years ago. Meriden's 1970 PC-era station was torn down (no loss) and Berlin's historic station burned down. There are nice platforms and "up and overs", ticket machines, but no buildings. You can wait in the overpass/foyer.
 #1546659  by Greg Moore

Westernstar1 wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:06 pm
Greg Moore wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:25 pm
I'm glad for your positive report of the Amtrak depot in Klamath Falls, Mr. Moore.

I have been, for some time now, thinking of taking the Starlight from N. Calif. up to Klamath. There is a "Point" bus service that will pick you up at the Klamath Falls Amtrak depot and take you to points west, such as Medford and Ashland. My destination would be Medford, Jacksonville, Ashland, and possibly a rental car to McCloud, Calif. There is a 2 hr wait, at the Klamath Falls Amtrak depot, before the westbound Point bus leaves. On the way back, about a 3 hr. wait until the Coast Starlight, southbound, arrives at Klamath. I'm hoping the Klamath depot would be ok for the long wait. Also, are there nearby restaurants you can recommend within walking distance of the Klamath station?

Richard
I honestly don't recall. We got a rental SUV from Hertz (we actually arrived early and the Hertz rep got it ready early and drove it over from the airport. So we didn't explore much.

Once we had our SUV though we spent some time in Klamath Falls (stayed with a friend). We did do dinner at Thai Orchard Cafe.
 #1546681  by mohawkrailfan

NaugyRR wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:42 pm
R36 Combine Coach wrote: As for travel experiences, NYP is not particularly friendly, given trains and track assignments are often only posted
boarding"?
I'm almost always on an Empire train, so I know to park my butt along the escalator across from Dunkin' thirty minutes/+ before departure, lol.
That organized queuing is relatively new, though. Until 2015 or so, 281 and 283 were announced by surprise just like the NEC and NJT trains. It was painful.