Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak on-board employee: is there a rule book?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1543680  by SouthernRailway

Curious: I read that Pullman employees had a policy manual showing in excruciating detail how all aspects of their jobs needed to be done, including a multi-step list for how open a bottle of Coke.

Does Amtrak have the same thing?

For example, even though my regular train arrives way early in the morning and I can wake myself up, the sleeping car attendant knocks on my door 30 minutes before arrival and encourages me to move towards the vestibule at least 5 minutes before arrival if not more.

I assume that Amtrak has standard procedures but how detailed are they and upon request will a sleeping car attendant not comply (for example if I don’t need 30 minute notice to get off the train)?

Thanks.
 #1544849  by JimBoylan

I have electronic versions of Service Standards Manual for Train Service and On-Board Service Employees No. 5.1 April 30, 2010 and No. 6 April 30, 2011, each less than 7 megabytes. They were on the Internet years ago. I can send or post them if told where.
As for an actual Amtrak "Rule Book" for conducting transportation, not for how to treat passengers, I'm sure it can be found on the Internet in various National Transportation Safety Board accident investigation reports.
 #1545491  by SouthernRailway

Thanks, this is very helpful.

I see that the sleeping car attendants very rarely put a card in your room with your name on it, welcoming you on board. I was really impressed when one did that and I thought that it was just the one person going above and beyond. Now I see that it's a rule, rarely followed.

I'm also curious: when you board at a larger station, you interact with three people: (1) an Amtrak agent before you arrive on the platform, (2) a sleeping car attendant at the car door when you board and (3) the sleeping car attendant as the train departs. None of them scan your ticket; you have to wait for the conductor (person #4) to come by to do so. How is that efficient?

The last time I boarded a sleeping car, it was at a small station. I got on (and was greeted by the sleeping car attendant when I boarded and once I got settled in my room). It was late at night and I just wanted to go to bed. I waited about 20 minutes for the conductor and finally locked my door and went to sleep. Clearly the on-board staff just knew who I was and that I had a valid ticket, since nobody later asked me for it, and points for the trip posted.

So why can't one of the people you interact with when you're boarding, and who sees your ticket, keep track so that a separate visit by the conductor isn't necessary?
 #1545501  by Tadman

I, too, am surprised the nametag thing is a rule. I've seen it perhaps 5 times in 5 years and it was a pleasant surprise each time. Mostly CofNO and Crescent crews do it I think.

As for the "who scans your ticket" issue, I give up trying to figure that one out. I'm pretty sure it's a work rule that only the conductor can "lift tickets" but that's an out of date term now that most are scanned. It seems to me, especially at smaller stations, that the car attendant reports the head count on their car on/off and the conductor checks that against their iphone-like device. Most of the time it checks out and they don't do anything more.
 #1545717  by gokeefe

SouthernRailway wrote:I see that the sleeping car attendants very rarely put a card in your room with your name on it, welcoming you on board. I was really impressed when one did that and I thought that it was just the one person going above and beyond. Now I see that it's a rule, rarely followed.
They may not have the cards regularly in stock. I of course agree that it is possible this amenity is being neglected.

Here's my take on how I would write to Amtrak ([email protected]):

"Dear Amtrak,

I once had an attendant leave a welcome card in my sleeping car berth. I thought it was a really exceptional act and very thoughtful. As it turns out I've learned that this is supposed to be a routine part of your standards. I understand that attendants sometimes don't have the little cards in stock or perhaps your practices have changed but it seems like a very low cost way to make your very best passengers feel special. I always appreciate being acknowledged. Hope you all stay well. I'll see you aboard.

Sincerely,
SR"

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1545727  by Tadman

I don't know that I would take the time to complain about the lack of cards. But when one procedure is forgotten or neglected, it may be a sign than many procedures are forgotten or neglected. In the case of on-board service, it's congruent with the other common issues - awful boarding procedure, random break times for cafe, employees talking over each other on the PA, etc...

When there is no compliance with the handbook that's when safety risks grow significantly. I'm surprised there is no audit procedure where management rides and observes how crews perform according to the book.
 #1545732  by SouthernRailway

Thanks. I found the name card in my room to be such a nice touch that I'm not going to gripe about that.

I wrote Amtrak with some positive, constructive suggestions about Flexible Dining breakfasts a few weeks ago. I never heard back.

The staff on the Crescent is generally very nice. We're all human; I certainly screw up plenty, so I don't want to get anyone in trouble or anything.
 #1545758  by gokeefe

I would not be in the least bit surprised if they take another couple of weeks to write back. I'm sure they aren't watching that particular email queue very carefully right now aside from specific issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk