Railroad Forums 

• Riding Coach - Would You Or Wouldn't You?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1540571  by Gilbert B Norman

Admittedly, this topic is inspired by one similar and active at another site. But since no one here or anywhere is doing much in the way of riding for any reason at this time, there must be time to share thoughts, particularly if overnight, whether saving the $$$ precedes any measurement of comfort or any possible "experiential" enjoyment.

I think any around here who have followed my material over the past twenty one years know my thoughts. How say someone else lead off.
 #1540577  by Tadman

I have been in the situation of riding coach overnight in the past. In most cases I was a broke university student and Amtrak coach was a cheap way to visit friends over Christmas break or summer. One time I had to do it on the Caledonian Sleeper as I forgot to buy a ticket and there was only one seat left on the whole train, in coach.

I don't mind Amtrak coach for 6 hours or so, and more is possible if I can get up and move around a bit, maybe enjoy a non-smoking smoke break on the platform. It's a tough bet overnight, especially as there is no way to keep one's seat-mate out of one's space if he or she starts nodding off and sliding in the wrong direction. I would rather fly late or early than do this again.

The Caley was a different story. I was in a 1-facing-2 and despite the lack of available tickets, nobody showed up. The headrest had large wings as most BREL Mk3 do, and a padded/upholstered center armrest. After using blinders and earplugs, it wasn't bad. I'm not itching to do it again, but I would if I had to.

Similar experience on Trenes Argentinos. Most trains have one sleeper car, 3-4 business class, and 6-8 coach, plus diner and "furgon" which means van - baggage and HEP. The fares are kept very low, I think my overnight coach ticket was $17. The seats were 1+2 and very comfortable with a huge center armrest and headrest wings. I slept quite well other than the attendant disappeared and the temp went way up. Much as I love travel by train there, the fares are so low that it loses gobs of money and even the gov't doesn't want to pour money down that drain. Something is wrong when my airport taxi costs more than my entire overnight fare.
 #1540580  by Gilbert B Norman

Thank you Mr. Dunville, for leading the discussion off.

My rule is simply "no dough? no go". If there is to be a family emergency in the New York area, I'd be "expected" to fly - cost of a "walk up" ticket notwithstanding.

So any Amtrak travel I have had/could do is discretionary. Why submit to any kind of "Masochist Express"? I'm same with air travel - don't need to go overseas badly enough to be seated aft of "the curtain".

Elitism? maybe. But how about a 78yo guy, who has no NEED to travel anywhere, and gets "agitated" if deprived of his customary level of creature comforts.
 #1540584  by NH2060

I’ve done this twice between Boston and DC. Took 67 down and went to sleep slumped in my seat but going back on 66 the train was empty enough that I was able to stretch out across both seats. Going down it was hard to get sleep but the return trip was a lot of fun and quite comfortable :-)
 #1540589  by Pensyfan19

Depends on how far you are traveling and what equipment you are on.

I took coach for Amtrakto go somewhere short a few times, such as NY to Philly. Especially with the new refurbishment, the Amfleets are pretty comfortable for coach. Horizon coaches or pre-refurbishment Amfleets or Horizons might be a different story.

For somewhat longer trips, such as Boston to Portland or NY to Niagara Falls, I would do business class in order to be comfortable for the long ride(especially if the seat is next to the café car like during my trip to Niagara Falls)
 #1540598  by andegold

I would prefer not to and certainly I can afford to fly so I wouldn't. However, just as coach fills up/sells out on many trans-global flights in excess of 8 hours I'm sure that many of those same people would endure coach on a train for 24 hours. Would they do it for 36 or 48? I doubt it.
 #1540601  by CNJGeep

8 hours is my hard limit for an Amfleet I or a Horizon.
Maybe 12 in an Amfleet II or a Superliner.
Anything longer is Roomette Time
 #1540615  by Greg Moore

I'm a cheap bastard. For personal reasons, for close to 2 decades now I've had reason to be in Georgia in February.
Typically I've taken coach down and sleeper back (usually using points). One night I can manage.

The downside of coach: I just can't quite get comfortable. The seat's not quite flat enough and if I lay on my back, my head isn't comfortable. I did find two pillows, one in the small of my back and one for my head really helped. I always brought a sleeping bag so generally was warm. I would eat in the diner because I wanted a real meal .

The upside: there was something "alive" about the hustle/bustle. Since I was generally in the "Atlanta" coach, once we left DC, there were very few folks getting on or off, so not much disturbance that way, but you could sort of feel a low level energy which I appreciated. I found at times in a sleeper, it could almost get lonely!

Sleeper on the way back got me comped meals (so I'd usually get the steak,I've had 2 of top 5 or so steaks in my life on Amtrak... oh those were the days) and a shower. And... yes, sleeping was easier and I'd often setup the roomette in what some have called an "office config" with the bunk prepared for sleeping, but laptop, etc below for work.

Best "coach" trip to Atlanta though was the year they had Business Class. No one next to me so I could get up as I needed and not bother anyone and plenty of room.

Honestly, I'd do business class to Atlanta again in a heartbeat if the price were right.

So... yes, for limited times I'll do coach, but do prefer sleeper.
 #1540616  by troffey

Pensyfan19 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:23 am Depends on how far you are traveling and what equipment you are on.

I took coach for Amtrakto go somewhere short a few times, such as NY to Philly. Especially with the new refurbishment, the Amfleets are pretty comfortable for coach. Horizon coaches or pre-refurbishment Amfleets or Horizons might be a different story.

For somewhat longer trips, such as Boston to Portland or NY to Niagara Falls, I would do business class in order to be comfortable for the long ride(especially if the seat is next to the café car like during my trip to Niagara Falls)
The Downeaster runs two and a half hours Boston to Portland. While your coach threshold is your own determination, that isn't a very long trip at which to set the bar. I agree for a trip like NYC to Niagara Falls (timetable eight and a half hours) it makes a big difference.
 #1540619  by Gilbert B Norman

Tadman wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:31 amOne time I had to do it on the Caledonian Sleeper as I forgot to buy a ticket and there was only one seat left on the whole train, in coach.
Once, on a trip to New York on the Lake Shore, back when it mirrored NYC #2 - Pacemaker - schedule, they had to set out my Sleeper in Cleveland- and "no room in the Inn" otherwise. I "tucked it out", but "not exactly" of mind for more.

Overseas, during May 1990 Madrid to Sevilla, my Wagon Lit Bedroom "wasn't". I was ushered back to a four bunk Couchette. So here I was; top bunk, bag between my legs, wallet and Passport in back pocket against the wall, and "not the faintest" about my "roommates". Turns out "nice guys" two Spaniards, a Dutchman, and me. The Dutchman played "terp" for us ("we're a small country; we hsve to know everyone's language"). It ended with warm felt farewells.
 #1540623  by bdawe

While I haven't had enough free time to justify overnight train travel in recent years, I'm fine with making 30-hour coach journeys, though I've come to conclude that my back and joints take to discomforts better than most
 #1540633  by Arborwayfan

I road coach from SLC to Mattoon last summer with my daughter. I didn't sleep that much, but I saw a lot more of the scenery than I would have in sleeper. Two reasons: I was awake more, and you can see out both sides of a coach. I like sleepers in principle and tend to sleep well, but I do always have a little nagging feeling that I'm missing the show. So, yes, I'd take a long trip in coach again. But I might bring two pillows instead of one.