Railroad Forums 

• What's your next ride - Free up to $2000

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1538546  by Tadman

You can tell the lockdown is getting to me... Anyway on to the next discussion.

1. You've got a free $2000 and you have to pick at least two long distance trains.
2. One has to be in the US to keep this on topic to Amtrak, the rest do not.
3. Since we've all had the opportunity to see/show our maps, try to pick some new routes!
4. I don't think it's worth getting too detailed over the fares, so figure you can get a decent price a few months out to maximize your ride.
5. Obviously this is for the future when the COVID is gone and we are safe to travel, so China, Italy, Spain are fair game.
 #1538548  by Tadman

Oh hey this looks like a fun discussion, I'll go first.

1. Empire builder MSP-SEA - $600 roomette
2. Paris-Moscow sleeper - $1100 deluxe single room
3. Shanghai-Hong Kong - $150 deluxe soft sleeper

Somewhere on that list I'd like to squeeze in the Helsinki-Moscow Tolstoi or the Nice-Moscow sleeper.
 #1538560  by Jeff Smith

Tadman wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:17 am Oh hey this looks like a fun discussion, I'll go first.
LOL.

Empire Builder CHI to SEA via POR (Cascades). A couple days in SEA, then...

Coast Starlight SEA to LAX, spend a couple days in Anaheim, perhaps a side trip to SD and Tijuana because I've never been there. Then...

LAX to Nolo on the Sunset, because I've never been to NOLO. Couple days there, then...

Crescent back to NY. Last time I rode the Crescent was shortly after Southern folded their passenger tent, although it was still Southern crews south of DC.

Pretty much around the horn. Maybe LSL to complete it?
 #1538581  by STrRedWolf

Hmmm... Keeping to the tune... If we spec it out in September...
  • SEA to CHI - $742 Empire Builder
  • Overnight Chicago ($200 hotel room)
  • CHI to BOS - $720 Lake Shore Limited
  • Overnight Boston ($200 hotel room)
  • BOS - BWI - $84 Saver NEC.
May be able to tweak it further but I'd have to pay for the flight out no matter what.
 #1538582  by Gilbert B Norman

Far enough for me is the Culver's Drive Up inside my own automobile.

You couldn't get me on any public transport - train. plane, or bus today - and likely for another four months.
 #1538583  by mtuandrew

Oh so I have to look up fares now? :P

I’m gonna assume a roomette on the California Zephyr DEN-OAK, a quick ride on Altamont Commuter Express down to Fremont and back, a day trip on the Niles Canyon Railway, another roomette on the Coast Starlight OAK-POR, a jaunt on West Side Express, a Cascades ticket POR-VAN, and a Canadian berth VAN-Edmonton would come out under $2,000. If not, I guess I’ll have to make up the difference :wink:
 #1538594  by David Benton

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:50 pm Hmmm... Keeping to the tune... If we spec it out in September...
  • SEA to CHI - $742 Empire Builder
  • Overnight Chicago ($200 hotel room)
  • CHI to BOS - $720 Lake Shore Limited
  • Overnight Boston ($200 hotel room)
  • BOS - BWI - $84 Saver NEC.
May be able to tweak it further but I'd have to pay for the flight out no matter what.
I Don't think you need to account for hotel rooms etc . Just the train fares.
I think the Boss has blown the budget anyway... :wink: typical management...
 #1538604  by David Benton

Mine would be the lines I haven't ridden yet,
-Texas Eagle with side trips to Kansas city , and Oklahoma.
-across on the Sunset to NO, CONC up to Chicago.
- All the Michigan lines.
-Charleston to NYP on the Cardinal
-NYP to Montreal , part thereof.
- All the New England lines.
I'd be in coach , so under $ 2k , I think.
Just wish there were trains to do it all in daylite.
 #1538609  by Tadman

Regarding the budget, it’s for trains only, no need to figure hotels or air. Also, I ballparked some fares from Seat61 as the RZD website is not pricing many trains due to covid. The idea is less about beancounting and more about where you want to go.
 #1538731  by Wash

1: Tucked behind the last row of seats overnight on 67 (I have my reasons).

2: VIA rail Canadian in the most expensive accomodations I can afford with the rest of the $2k. I've wanted to take that train since I was in the first grade.
 #1538832  by Tadman

Ocean is on my short list as well, I had it penciled in for June until this darn virus showed up and won't leave.