Railroad Forums 

• Corona virus impacts on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1545891  by R36 Combine Coach

gokeefe wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:52 pmI think the point about smoking is very fair. That being said it is now moot because Amtrak has been "No Smoking" aboard all cars on all trains since ... 199X?
Banned on all LDs as of 11/1/04 (trains with Superliner smoker lounges). Auto Train had smokers' lounges for a few more years.

Some smokers' lounges were converted back to baggage coaches with the cargo compartment on lower level.
 #1545912  by gokeefe

Ok ... So just imagine Amtrak comes out with "No alcohol sales" due to COVID etc. It might not affect what they have now but wowsers would it be bad later.

Amtrak has none of the anxiety factor that air travel does ... As the saying goes, "Some birds were not meant to fly".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1545939  by Roadgeek Adam

gokeefe wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:04 pm Ok ... So just imagine Amtrak comes out with "No alcohol sales" due to COVID etc. It might not affect what they have now but wowsers would it be bad later.

Amtrak has none of the anxiety factor that air travel does ... As the saying goes, "Some birds were not meant to fly".

Heaven knows I understand that. Put me on an airplane and I turn into an anxietal mess. Literally any bit of turbulence and I'm on the floor expecting a crash.

As someone who has been in an Amtrak crash, I'd still rather take Amtrak than be on the plane.
 #1546079  by Ken W2KB

gokeefe wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:52 pm
Interesting question with regards to cannabis consumption on board. Federal jurisdiction for Amtrak PD but state law applies???

Legalization of cannabis the in few states that amended their statutes merely repealed and ended state enforcement of those states' laws. Federal law applies in every state and still prohibits cannabis which remains illegal in all states. Federal law enforcement can still enforce the federal law on Amtrak and everywhere in the US except on foreign diplomatic property.
 #1546425  by STrRedWolf

WashingtonPark wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:44 pm Any ideas on how this will affect AMTRAK trains between the Carolinas/Florida to New York Amtrak trains? https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/cor ... c/2292883/
Take what happened when Florida had the exact same order from NY/NJ... and flip it around.
 #1546649  by njtmnrrbuff

Does anyone know if more Northeast Regional and Empire Service trains will be brought back in the next month? In August, I am planning on taking an Amtrak daytrip somewhere-may go to Baltimore, Schenectady. I would like to go to Rhode Island from Newark NJ for a daytrip but right now, that can't be done.
 #1546667  by STrRedWolf

njtmnrrbuff wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:11 pm Does anyone know if more Northeast Regional and Empire Service trains will be brought back in the next month? In August, I am planning on taking an Amtrak daytrip somewhere-may go to Baltimore, Schenectady. I would like to go to Rhode Island from Newark NJ for a daytrip but right now, that can't be done.
It depends on how demand ramps up over the next month. Right now, there are trains running on both lines, and you should have service to RI right now (but not Vermont).

Keep an eye on the news to Baltimore. Things are slow to start back up in my neck of the woods, and the BLM demonstrations put a wrinkle into things.
 #1546669  by mtuandrew

I probably wouldn’t go to Baltimore - not because of protests, but because I’d like to avoid major cities! Of all the places though, BAL residents (at least outside of the Waterfront) appear to be masking and distancing better than average for cities that size.
 #1546670  by STrRedWolf

mtuandrew wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:39 am I probably wouldn’t go to Baltimore - not because of protests, but because I’d like to avoid major cities! Of all the places though, BAL residents (at least outside of the Waterfront) appear to be masking and distancing better than average for cities that size.
Maryland really clamped down on it early, and (Republican) Governor Hogan essentially said "I had it up to here with you idiots," locked the state down, and mandated masks. He hasn't lifted the mask order yet, and he's on the careful reopening approach. (No word on the 14-day mandatory quarantine from hotspots)

Lets face it. If he didn't screw up transit in Maryland, I'd vote for him for President. He's actually sensible.

But let's get back to Amtrak and the thread's topic.
 #1546683  by scratchyX

STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:04 am
mtuandrew wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:39 am I probably wouldn’t go to Baltimore - not because of protests, but because I’d like to avoid major cities! Of all the places though, BAL residents (at least outside of the Waterfront) appear to be masking and distancing better than average for cities that size.
Maryland really clamped down on it early, and (Republican) Governor Hogan essentially said "I had it up to here with you idiots," locked the state down, and mandated masks. He hasn't lifted the mask order yet, and he's on the careful reopening approach. (No word on the 14-day mandatory quarantine from hotspots)
But then, Ocean city , and some county areas (Harford, too), no masks, or distancing.
STrRedWolf wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:04 amLets face it. If he didn't screw up transit in Maryland, I'd vote for him for President. He's actually sensible.

But let's get back to Amtrak and the thread's topic.
 #1546723  by njtmnrrbuff

If I take Amtrak to Baltimore, I will likely be spending the majority of the time in the suburbs railfanning some of the local transit and may head with a friend to several spots along Amtrak's NEC in Harford and Cecil County. If I were to do that, I would end up taking Amtrak northward out of Aberdeen.
 #1546795  by STrRedWolf

njtmnrrbuff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:09 pm If I take Amtrak to Baltimore, I will likely be spending the majority of the time in the suburbs railfanning some of the local transit and may head with a friend to several spots along Amtrak's NEC in Harford and Cecil County. If I were to do that, I would end up taking Amtrak northward out of Aberdeen.
You'll be lucky to find an Amtrak that services Aberdeen. It's essentially a MARC station now.
 #1548587  by Gilbert B Norman

Quite the segment aired by CBS News regarding the state of COVID affairs on Amtrak. This piece includes short clips with Mr. Flynn. The reporter as good as asked him "why did you ever take this on?".
 #1548629  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:35 am Quite the segment aired by CBS News regarding the state of COVID affairs on Amtrak. This piece includes short clips with Mr. Flynn. The reporter as good as asked him "why did you ever take this on?".
My own quip to that question is "Someone had to get paid to do this job." :D

Some interesting tidbits. 15% ridership now, 60% of schedule service, air replaced every 4-5 minutes... but also airlines (at end of report) tightening up on mask requirements. To claim exception to the mask rule, you have to see the airline's doctor first -- a rule I like!