Railroad Forums 

• Corona virus impacts on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1536031  by Ken W2KB

Since this affects at least two threads, reservation change policy and Acela Non-stop trains, plus other impacts, I created a new thread.

Amtrak has reported that it is experiencing a drop in ridership due to Corona virus concerns, and thus will be reducing consists or frequency of trains. Reservation change fees are also being waived through April 30th.

https://media.amtrak.com/2020/03/amtrak ... vironment/
 #1536033  by TheOneKEA

How will this affect the commuter railroads that Amtrak operates? I know that the Maryland Emergency Management Agency is actively doing things to mitigate community impacts and I’m curious to know if they are in communication with Amtrak on these service changes.
 #1536036  by Backshophoss

This will depend how many conferences get killed as this spreads,the super sized South by SW
2 week conference was killed off by the city of Austin.
This could kill off the political conventions as well. :-D :-D (these are a moot point anyway this time around)

Figure on sets taken OOS to be disinfected on a regular basis
 #1536049  by John_Perkowski

What sort of filtration is on the HVAC systems of a railroad passenger car? Where are the filters? How often are they changed in normal times? What quality of filter is used? How often is the ductwork cleaned?

I can see the shops and the car cleaning forces expanding into a whole new area of maintenance.
 #1536079  by mark777

Unfortunately, and the same applies to air travel, demand dictates service. If demand drops, then Amtrak/ Airlines have to adjust the amount of seats needed to meet current demand. Unfortunately for the transportation industry, fear combined with lack luster information by the media and Government officials translates to a great loss of revenue, so many are forced to cut service. More cuts will come until the Coronavirus fear subsides.
 #1536097  by STrRedWolf

DC has a “presumptive positive” as of yesterday (Saturday), and surrounding areas are also getting cases.

Many major companies are already cutting down on travel. My workplace started their policy on it and declared some major cities as “too high-risk to allow travel to.” I’m surprised DC wasn’t on the list, but NYC is... all while I’m at a convention “in” (read: near Regan National Airport) DC.

We’ll see how MARC is affected.
 #1536144  by Backshophoss

Figure on the left(west)coast services taking hits,in Ca and the Sea-Tac metroplex.
Most commuter operators will ramp up "deep cleaning/disinfection" programs shortly.
What Amtrak started in Chicago and St Louis should be done system wide.
 #1536145  by mtuandrew

I’m keeping a weather eye out - my parents are set to visit DC later this week and take the Cap and Builder home on Sunday & Monday. Will send them with a cooler of food, just in case there’s problems with diner service.
 #1536160  by BandA

SouthernRailway wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:45 pm Why is Amtrak not filling every sleeping car room at a premium price?

You want to take a trip but don’t want to be with a crowd? Amtrak sleeping car. Duh.
Do sleeping compartments have their own separate air flows or is air recirculated?
 #1536185  by Tadman

I find the media is vastly overhyping this, but due caution and common sense should be used. Wash your hands, cough on your sleeve, quit shaking hands, etc... These are all really good ideas anyways, do we have to have a pandemic to encourge good hygiene? not really.

That said most friends with big public companies are facing a travel ban except those working for transports. I have noticed a few flights empty when they wouldn't normally be so.

I travel lots for work and have been wiping down my phone, laptop, ipad, and entire hotel room and rental car with bleach wipes, but I've been doing that with my phone for years.

Remember the old saying? "There are two types of people in this world, those that will tell you they text on the toilet, and liars"...

Be well, guys, and take care of yourself.