Railroad Forums 

• Ticketing to be non-refundable, non-changeable

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1535815  by daybeers

First off, the new fees won't take effect until May 1 due to Coronavirus concerns like some of the U.S. airlines are doing. While the page says only change fees, people on another forum have reported being able to cancel their trip without a fee for a full refund, even from the website.

I don't understand how anyone can say this is a good change overall for Amtrak. While it might help their bottom line short-term, this is another change that fails to take into account long-term effects, a policy being adopted widely across companies as of late to increase profits while driving away customers. I believe one of the big pros to Amtrak over a plane or bus ticket is that it is refundable (sometimes for a fee) and changeable, only having to pay a possible difference in fare. That difference can already be a significant amount, especially if one originally bought a low bucket Saver fare and wants to change their departure day of. I would imagine a loyal Amtrak passenger wouldn't be happy with the fee and would simply choose another transportation mode on their next trip.

We don't know how much fares will decrease because of this change, but would it be worth it? Time will tell whether lowering fares while increasing penalties has an effect on ridership and revenue. I project both to suffer, though we may never know as Amtrak's ridership goes up every year.

With the reduction in amenities, OTP not improving and in some cases declining, travel times often much longer than driving and only comparable to flying in very few places, and an Amtrak administration that couldn't care less about LD travelers, Amtrak needs this positive policy in place.
 #1535848  by gokeefe

daybeers wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:38 amWhile it might help their bottom line short-term, this is another change that fails to take into account long-term effects, a policy being adopted widely across companies as of late to increase profits while driving away customers.
The current ridership levels for Amtrak and record airline passenger statistics do not support the "driving away customers" thesis at all.
 #1535849  by bretton88

gokeefe wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:04 pm
daybeers wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:38 amWhile it might help their bottom line short-term, this is another change that fails to take into account long-term effects, a policy being adopted widely across companies as of late to increase profits while driving away customers.
The current ridership levels for Amtrak and record airline passenger statistics do not support the "driving away customers" thesis at all.
I bet no one but the hardcore amtrak riders will notice the change in fare policies. We're so conditioned to how the airlines do it anyways.
 #1535851  by exvalley

gokeefe wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:04 pm
Bingo. Anderson knows this, which is exactly why he instituted the change.
 #1535852  by Arlington

Supply is fixed. Demand is growing. Prices will rise.

They eliminated AAA and student discounts. People complained, ridership rose, financial performance improved.

the cheap seats will still be there they will be just slightly less attractive for purchase, and won't result in Lost inventory for no revenue anymore.

Both the discount elimination and the refund ability change are evidence that fares are in some ways exactly right, but that the mix is wrong, and that discounting and easy access to discounts are no longer necessary to attract customers.
 #1536017  by Suburban Station

Arlington wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:46 pm Supply is fixed. Demand is growing. Prices will rise.

They eliminated AAA and student discounts. People complained, ridership rose, financial performance improved.

the cheap seats will still be there they will be just slightly less attractive for purchase, and won't result in Lost inventory for no revenue anymore.

Both the discount elimination and the refund ability change are evidence that fares are in some ways exactly right, but that the mix is wrong, and that discounting and easy access to discounts are no longer necessary to attract customers.
Supply doesnt have to be fixed. The discounts were irrelevant and more importantly, ridership only began to grow when amtrak introduced buy one get one saturdays and share fares which have much broader appeal and application. Amtrak needs more supply on the NEC in particular, they are walking away from money.
 #1536099  by STrRedWolf

Suburban Station wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:53 am
farecard wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:18 pm Not all airlines. I fly SWA largely because I can & do cancel/reschedule flights.
Worth noting, Swa is the largest domestic airline by passenger volume . I like to fly them, they are not the cheapest but they are flexible and easy to deal with.
Comparing SWA with Amtrak... for some longer distances from a hub city (BWI to PIT), Amtrak is cheaper if you’re willing to trade time for cash. There’s a point where Amtrak is untenable — unless I really pad the vacation out (BWI to San Jose, aka SJC) or make the trip the vacation.
 #1536108  by justalurker66

mtuandrew wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:13 pmMaybe it’s just that the changes haven’t taken effect yet -
Now being March 8th, the original article said the changes would take place March 1st (your post was before March 1st).

My recollection was that the "Saver" fares were already non-refundable. Today they are listed as refundable within the first 24 hours.
"100% refundable within 24 hours of purchase; no cancel fee; no change fee"
"24 hours after purchase: Non-refundable, no changes or upgrades allowed"

The next step up is "Value":
"100% refundable 15 or more days prior to departure; no cancel fee; no change fee"
"14 or less days prior to departure: 25% cancel fee or 15% change fee"
"Change fee waived for Select Executive members"
"Unreserved: 25% cancel fee 1 hour after purchase; no change fee"

"Flexible" offers "100% refundable prior to departure - No cancel fee - No change fee" for those who need it. Each step comes with a higher price and becomes "sold out" closer to the actual travel date.

It seems like a fair way to control ticket hoarding.

No change fee through April 30th thanks to COVID-19 ... which is a good reassurance for people who are worried that their travel plans might get cancelled. As long as the lower fare is not "sold out" the remainder of the ticket policy applies.
 #1536109  by farecard

STrRedWolf wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:25 am Comparing SWA with Amtrak... for some longer distances from a hub city (BWI to PIT), Amtrak is cheaper if you’re willing to trade time for cash.
I use the Capitol Limited WAS<-->CLE regularly because it is cheaper than SWA and it has changeable ticketing. And nobody weighs my luggage or searches it looking for too big a tube of toothpaste.
 #1536422  by danib62

farecard wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:51 pm I use the Capitol Limited WAS<-->CLE regularly because it is cheaper than SWA and it has changeable ticketing. And nobody weighs my luggage or searches it looking for too big a tube of toothpaste.
Gotta love that very competitive 2:53 AM arrival and 1:54 AM departure...