Railroad Forums 

• Detroit OTP woes continue

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1535039  by east point

The south of the lake track proposal is very important to get on time performance. However what about passing sidings ? Either use one NS track as a passing siding with the obvious potential for more delays or the additional cost of several 10k passing sidings every 10 miles or so. ?
 #1535106  by WesternNation

east point wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:15 pm The south of the lake track proposal is very important to get on time performance. However what about passing sidings ? Either use one NS track as a passing siding with the obvious potential for more delays or the additional cost of several 10k passing sidings every 10 miles or so. ?
I'm sure Amtrak is looking at double tracking their ROW if they procure it. I know one of the other major projects they're looking at is double-tracking the entire AML (or at least the western end from Porter to Kalamazoo) so eliminate the need to set up meets in Lawton, Dowagiac, Niles, or Chesterton. This should help to improve OTP, at least a little bit, since trains won't be having to stop for meets now.

I'm also wondering if pre-departure inspections are not catching everything that could be an issue, causing the copious amounts of "mechanical-related" delays for AML trains. That, or the Chargers are having teething troubles that aren't being reported to the Section 305 committee who bought the equipment...
 #1535108  by Gilbert B Norman

Grief; when one considers that there once were ten main tracks along the Lake (4ea PRR and NYC; 2 B&O) there ought to be room for two Amtrak. Yes there is now a power X-msn line, but still...

So, if MDOT is serious about providing viable, and expanding, rail transportation, time to get a building. Failing that, I know one, i.e. me, who will continue to be on the 94 where "I'm the master of my fate; the Captain of my soul".
 #1535137  by mtuandrew

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:42 pm Grief; when one considers that there once were ten main tracks along the Lake (4ea PRR and NYC; 2 B&O) there ought to be room for two Amtrak. Yes there is now a power X-msn line, but still...

So, if MDOT is serious about providing viable, and expanding, rail transportation, time to get a building. Failing that, I know one, i.e. me, who will continue to be on the 94 where "I'm the master of my fate; the Captain of my soul".
Ten along the lake, plus more inland (MCRR, Wabash, IHB, CSS&SB, GTW... even the Rock and EJ&E had track out to Gary.) It’s extremely shortsighted that Amtrak didn’t get a 2-track ROW out of the Penn Central debacle - worst that would have happened, if NRPC had been discontinued, is the government would have had space for another highway for your Lexus.

I hadn’t thought about equipment reliability. Tad once mentioned how a probable bad-ordered car in Michigan service led to a misunderstanding with an over-officious conductor - are there spare trainsets in Pontiac if the designated one isn’t ready to roll?
 #1535148  by WesternNation

mtuandrew wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:26 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:42 pm Grief; when one considers that there once were ten main tracks along the Lake (4ea PRR and NYC; 2 B&O) there ought to be room for two Amtrak. Yes there is now a power X-msn line, but still...

Ten along the lake, plus more inland (MCRR, Wabash, IHB, CSS&SB, GTW... even the Rock and EJ&E had track out to Gary.) It’s extremely shortsighted that Amtrak didn’t get a 2-track ROW out of the Penn Central debacle - worst that would have happened, if NRPC had been discontinued, is the government would have had space for another highway for your Lexus.

I hadn’t thought about equipment reliability. Tad once mentioned how a probable bad-ordered car in Michigan service led to a misunderstanding with an over-officious conductor - are there spare trainsets in Pontiac if the designated one isn’t ready to roll?

Negative. As far as I am aware, only two consists remain overnight in PNT: one of them is for 351, the other for 353. There might be a spare engine, but no coaches. There just isn’t room for a third consist out there. I’ve always thought that spare equipment could be staged at NBU or NLS since NLS has the maintenance of way depot and yard and there’s another yard between NBU and MCI. I frequently see track panel cars or ballast hoppers in NBU when I take 351 into Chicago and there’s still plenty of room.

Another option is to open a light to medium maintenance facility in Detroit once MCS is reopened...assist with the growing Detroit economy, spare equipment available, and honestly it just makes sense instead of having to ferry BO equipment to Chicago or Beech Grove.
 #1535157  by east point

Spare equipment probably 3 years in future depending on how many Amfleets and Horizons are still operational at that time. That wag based on present deliveries and commitments for both present service and proposed future service listed on Amtrak's publicized plans.
 #1535159  by David Benton

For the younger generations, their phone is their master, Facebook or whatever the latest in thing is the captain of their souls. They don't want to drive , serious downtime .