Railroad Forums 

• SELECTED ON-TIME PERFORMANCE 12/31/19 THROUGH 2/29/20

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1532675  by shlustig

Results for this period are:

TOTAL TRAINS =1204

ON TIME = 615 (51%)

LATE = 589 (49%)

AVERAGE DELAY = 42"

Of the late trains:
60% were 29" or less late;
20% were 30" to 59" late;
14% were 1' to 2' late;
6% were more than 2' late; and
<1% had no arrival time shown.

BY ROUTE, WITH ON-TIME % AND AVERAGE DELAY:

CAPITOL LIMITED
#29 - 33% - 53"
#30 - 30% - 53"

CARDINAL (WAS)
#51 - 50% - 27"
#50 - 46% - 1' 02"

PENNSYLVANIAN
#43 - 53% - 27"
#42 - 40% - 18"

LAKE SHORE LIMITED
#49 - 47% - 45"
#48 - 73% - 24"

LAKE SHORE LIMITED (BOSTON / ALBANY)
#449 - 97% - 14"
#448 - 20% - 20"

CITY OF NEW ORLEANS
#59 - 93% - 1' 08"
#58 - 97% - 22"

CRESCENT (WAS)
#19 - 4% - 1' 36"
#20 - 4% - 1' 00"

DETROIT CORRIDOR
(W) - 17% - 36"
(E) - 20% - 48"

ST. LOUIS CORRIDOR
(W) - 73% - 21"
(E) - 69% - 50"

BUFFALO CORRIDOR
(W) - 22% - 26"
(E) - 75% - 21"

KANSAS CITY CORRIDOR
(W) - 64% - 1' 35"
(E) - 47% - 1' 03"

98% were reviewed in this period, the exceptions being due to programmed trackwork which curtailed the full operation of the Crescent and to scattered operational problems on other routes/

Services which improved in both measured categories include the westbound Capitol Limited and DET Corridor; eastbound Cardinal; northbound City of New Orleans; and both directions of the Lake Shore Limited, Crescent, and BUF Corridor.

Of the 39 trains which were more than 2' late: the Crescent and the DET Corridor accounted for 9 each, the KCY Corridor for 8, and the STL Corridor for 5.

Of the total delay minutes in this period: the DET Corridor accounted for 25%, the KCY Corridor for 16%, and the STL and BUF Corridors for 13% each.

While there is still much room for improvement, it is noted that this is the first period with 50%-plus OTP since the period covering February, 2017 as well as the lowest average delay in the last 27 periods of review.

Hopefully, Amtrak now has a senior manager who cares about OTP as well as the elimination the causes of avoidable delays.
 #1532684  by ryanch

shlustig wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:45 pm While there is still much room for improvement, it is noted that this is the first period with 50%-plus OTP since the period covering February, 2017 as well as the lowest average delay in the last 27 periods of review.
Yeah! I noticed!

If this can hold, it's a game changer I think. 51% on time and 80% within a half hour.

I would point out that you've titled this "through 2/29." I'd love it if these stats hold steady through the end of February! But perhaps you should edit that (or a moderator should.)

I've been pondering Amtrak for weekend family trips*, and time-keeping was a serious strike against. 80% of trains within 30 minutes (up from 70%) and only 10% more than an hour delayed (down from roughly 20%) makes me feel very different about this. Wow!

It's only one month. Let's see.

* (For our situation, the problem remains that Ann Arbor, my wife's alma mater, was #1 on our list. With only 20% of trains on time at 9:55 "our time," and the typical delayed train arriving at 10:40, we're looking at 2 kids under 10 yo likely getting to bed after 11:00, again "our time." Not great. Hopefully the Detroit corridor will see further improvement this month.)
Last edited by ryanch on Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1532685  by ryanch

Also want to note that 54% of lost time came on routes into or out of Chicago.

Finishing CREATE (and finding ways to stay timely till it's complete) should be among Amtrak's highest priorities.

We don't have a functioning hub right now. A lot of employee morale and Class 5 ill will cascades out from the problems within 50 miles of CUS. Fix that, and high standards will be much easier to maintain throughout the system.
 #1532687  by ryanch

I believe you mentioned in a previous post that Detroit Corridor westbound problems were as likely to occur in eastern Michigan as in IN/IL. That was troubling, since it implied Amtrak couldn't keep its own house in order, while trying to blame problems on its hosts.

Was that still true this month?

I would think that a few months of delivering your trains to your hosts on time might change their opinion about pushing you through.
 #1532759  by mtuandrew

exvalley wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:51 am I know that people like to find fault with Anderson, but as CEO of Delta he emphasized on time performance. It stands to reason that he is doing the same with Amtrak.
One hopes he has finally built the relationships with enough Class 1 COOs and passenger departments to convince them a fast Amtrak is in their self-interest.
 #1533227  by shlustig

ryanch asked about the delay locations:

90 trains each way:

On the WB side:
42 lost time PNT to DET 79 lost time DET to MCI 11 lost time MCI to CHI 53 made up time MCI to CHI

On the EB side:
54 lost time CHI to MCI 75 lost time MCI to DER 2 lost time DER to PNT 80 made up time DER to PNT

Some of the EB trains were late Dpg. CHI

There is an apparent excess of padding DER to PNT

If the EB final time was taken at ROY, the OT performance level would be markedly lower.

If CN controls dispatching PNT to DET and at BTL, they are possibly screwing Amtrak.