Railroad Forums 

• Retirement Plan

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1530440  by Westernstar1

I retired 13 years ago, at age 63. For a long time, I thought of a continual Amtrak excursion around the perimeter of the US (more or less). I then asked myself, "how would I do this?" I've been thinking of a round trip, from Sacramento, as follows:

Sacramento-Seattle-Chicago-New York-New Orleans-Los Angeles-Sacramento.

Six Amtrak trains, counting the Starlight twice. I would never ride coach for such a long trip. If I booked a roomette for each train, I think the cost would be somewhere around $ 3350.00. Kind of a lot, but if you consider that a one-way trip on the Rocky Mountaineer can run that much, maybe not.

However, if the trip was broken up for sightseeing, add on more cost. For example, a day or two in Glacier Park, the overnight waits for 3x/week trains such as the Cardinal and the Sunset Limited. Also, overnight stays waiting to hop on the next Amtrak. The hotel and motel costs would quickly add up.

If cost is not an issue, it still represents a lot of train time. Probably resulting in a lot of train cabin fever. Also, Amtrak food quality would be a definite concern.

I guess the answer would be to take the train segments during different years. But still, a continual US perimeter train trip does have a certain appeal.

Any thoughts?

WS
 #1530448  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Great Northern #27, Western Star, as a 78yo to a 76, I think the big question is "are you up to it"; will it be enjoyable, or will it be an endurance contest?

I know for me it would be the latter. Can you handle being away from home for that length of time needed? I don't think I would.

I guess I should throw out a disclaimer; I "rode 'em all" during the 60's when I was in my 20's. There is nothing Amtrak could put on the rails to equal what was found on the Super, Century, or Meteor.

If of interest, over at the Worldwide forum, at a topic titled European Night Trains, I have shared if during a planned seven day trip to Salzburg during August to consider if at my age (health: at a December doctor visit, his parting words were "I have patients that need me; you're not one of them") I'm up to doing a two night joyride to Rome on Night Trains. The discussion has been both "just do it" to "think twice".

Another thing to consider is to what extent you are adventurous, or are you like me for whom "the best surprise is no surprise"?

Food for thought.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1530459  by lordsigma12345

I am doing Springfield MA - Chicago - Emeryville in June followed by Los Angelas - Chicago - Shpringfield two weeks later. I’ll let you know how it goes and how I do. It will be my first greater than one night trip. That’s probably a lot of continuous travel. If anything break it up with some sight seeing at various points to get a break from the train.
 #1530461  by Arborwayfan

I did Champaign-Chicago-Portland (via Pioneer)-LA-San Diego-Fullerton-Chicago (via Desert Wind)-Chicago-Champaign just before the Pioneer and the Desert Wind came off in 1997. I rode coach except when I could upgrade on board (cheap in those days) but ate in the diner until I felt too full for a big meal sometime east of Salt Lake City on the way home. The train time was fine -- I was 23 and I guess pretty durable :-D but I appreciated a night with friends in Chicago, motel in Portland with time in the city and the woods, a couple nights with a friend in LA, ditto in San Diego.

If the places you choose to stop and sightsee leave any daytime-only legs for your trip, you could do them in coach.
 #1530483  by bratkinson

I've been doing multi-night trips on Amtrak since '75 when my parents decided to winter in Florida. Initially, my 'big trip' each year was MKE-CHI then the Lakshore or the Broadway to NYP or PHL, then the Silver Meteor to WPB. In '79, I started getting 'serious' about lengthy trips, and caught the last North Coast Hiawatha to SEA, then on to LAX, NOL(on the 'through' sleeper that spent the night at NOL), WAS, and back to CHI & MKE on any of several routes. '79 was also when my job allowed me 1 or 2 trips per month to/from customers, usually flying out, and taking the train back, sometimes 2 nights to get home, leaving the customer on Fridays.

I managed to take 7-10 night trips in roomettes annually since initially retiring in '99, with as few nights as possible in a hotel. Last April was 9 nights (of 11) mostly on AGR points - 9429 miles. This year, a week after Easter, I'm off on an 8566 mile, 8 nights (of 10) jaunt 100% on points. I decided not to do the CHI-NOL-WAS leg again this year as I swore off the CONO due to unusually rough track (worst I've ridden in a good number of years) and the sleeper up front and no baggage car.

At 72, I'm still in good enough shape to be gone for extended periods without problems. Last year, I spent 24 nights in a roomette. I think I have it down to a 'science' of how and what to pack, and make use of a hotel laundromat facilities about 1/2 way through. That way, I pack only 5 shirts, etc, and put it all in an airline size rolling carry on plus a gym bag. I really don't care if my clothes look wrinkled, I'm on vacation (from retirement!). Since Contemporary Dining and its revisions started on the eastern trains, I eat before boarding (or take it to go) and have another 'to go' meal for breakfast...usually a grinder/sub.
 #1530517  by J.D. Lang

Back in 1976 I did an around the country trip by purchasing a 30 day USA-Rail pass that Amtrak used to offer back then. It was $150 for unlimited coach travel back then. I started in New Haven Ct., went to DC. where I transferred to Southern’s Crescent (Southern still ran that train with their thoroughbred pride) to NO. I then took the sunset to LA. I upgraded to sleeper for that portion. I then took the Coast Starlight to Oakland where I stayed with some friends in Berkeley for a couple of days before continuing North to Seattle. From Seattle I took the Empire Builder to Chicago (upgraded to sleeper), then the San Francisco Zephyr to Cheyenne were I spent a few days with friend in Scottsbluff NE., then back to Chicago then NY and New Haven. I was only 25 at the time so I had the endurance for that marathon plus I was between a job change at the time. It was a wonderful adventure especially the domes, full diners and lounges and the many people that you meet on the train. The Crescent was an exceptional train run with true southern pride. I’m glad I did it back then because I don’t think I could do it today at my age.

I haven’t been on an Amtrak LD since around 1992 but I am planning an “Experian” trip this May to go from New Haven to New York then Lake Shore to Chicago for a couple day stay then either the Cardinal or Capitol Limited to work my way back to New Haven.

As others have said I think if you don’t have any time constraints then frequent layovers would be the way to go. That was what made the USA-Rail pass so convenient back then.
 #1530534  by Westernstar1

Mr. Lang:

I was thinking of an Amtrak Rail Pass. However, I wish they would allow you to book sleepers as part of the Rail Pass.

I would like to see Amtrak offer sliding discounts with the purchase of multiple trains all at once. For example, a discount for a combined Starlight and Builder trip if purchased at the same time. A sliding discount if the one-time purchase included more routes. No restrictions with regard to time (no 15, 30, & 45 day plans). I guess it would be ok if they restricted the plan to a one year window.

I believe, at one time, the Amtrak Rail Pass included trips on a Canadian VIA train. Can you still do that?

WS
 #1530536  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. Atkinson, Lang, Western Star, and for that matter, me; a factor that need be considered when planning a "marathon" is how, at "our age", will you take to being "homeless"?

It would seem that these itineraries you all have in mind (as well as that I outlined for myself over at Night Trains) would be just that. You'd be on the street with no place such as a hotel room, or even a rented auto, to call your own, and possibly no alternative to lugging (well, guess that is wheeling nowadays) your luggage about with you.

I know for myself, I don't like it one bit. The last time in this life such happened to me was during '90 (age 48) when I was such in Berlin when the hotel kicked me out at High Noon, and my train to Aachen did not leave until Midnight (well, 2359 or 0001 as there's no Midnight on the railroad). Yes, the hotel did check my bag, and the weather was OK, but that is still a long, long, stretch being a street person.

For my proposed itinerary @ Night Trains, I'd be on the street in Munich from likely Noon to 8P when the Night Train to Rome leaves. Then following day in Rome from about 9AM to 6PM when the return train to Munich leaves. I'd even be nervous about leaving my bag somewhere, such as the Airport, lest something get "planted" in it. They still ask the "silly questions" overseas, and I'd like to answer them straight with "packed it myself" and "never out of my sight". The Nat Geo TV series "Locked Up Abroad" is scary when some naïve young kid gets something "planted" in his/her luggage and finds themselves looking at the show's title.

This physiological point I believe is worthy of consideration.
 #1530555  by WashingtonPark

Having gone between LA and Philadelphia several times I can tell you that diner or contemporary. the limited and mediocre Amfood offerings get real old, real fast. Plan out where you might be able to pick up some food on Amtrak stops, preferably crew change points, and pick up a few meals for the train. A collapsible cooler is a great thing to have. Purchase some ice along with the food. Keep in mind that before you know it Amtrak will probably run out of everything but tilapia with their omega 6 fatty acids or some kind of a vegetarian mashup. Their feeling seems to be that coach customers don't hit the diner for dinner and you've already paid for yours so you'll just have to settle for any left over stuff that people don't want when they have a choice. You need to want to ride it for the scenery experience. If you're doing a long outing for the diner experience you are going to be sorely disappointed.
 #1530566  by J.D. Lang

Westernstar1 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:25 am Mr. Lang:

I was thinking of an Amtrak Rail Pass. However, I wish they would allow you to book sleepers as part of the Rail Pass.

I would like to see Amtrak offer sliding discounts with the purchase of multiple trains all at once. For example, a discount for a combined Starlight and Builder trip if purchased at the same time. A sliding discount if the one-time purchase included more routes. No restrictions with regard to time (no 15, 30, & 45 day plans). I guess it would be ok if they restricted the plan to a one year window.

I believe, at one time, the Amtrak Rail Pass included trips on a Canadian VIA train. Can you still do that?

WS
I was lucky about being able to upgrade to a sleeper enroute. Back then they always seemed to have at least one room open. Probably next to impossible today because they always sell out of sleeper space well ahead of time because of a lack of equipment. I like your idea about the sliding discount for multiple bookings at once, wish they would do it. I don't know about via.
It would seem that these itineraries you all have in mind (as well as that I outlined for myself over at Night Trains) would be just that. You'd be on the street with no place such as a hotel room, or even a rented auto, to call your own, and possibly no alternative to lugging (well, guess that is wheeling nowadays) your luggage about with you.
Mr. Norman in my case I'm only going on a minny "Experion" trip so my only layover is Chi-town staying at a hotel while there. I pack very lite so getting from station to hotel and back shouldn't be a problem.
Having gone between LA and Philadelphia several times I can tell you that diner or contemporary. the limited and mediocre Amfood offerings get real old, real fast.
That's one thing that I'm afraid of. Flex dining isn't going to be like eating in a Southern Railway diner or even on an Empire Builder trip that I took in 91. Their chief's strawberry shortcake was something to kill for.
 #1530639  by WashingtonPark

J.D. Lang wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:24 pm
Westernstar1 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:25 am
Having gone between LA and Philadelphia several times I can tell you that diner or contemporary. the limited and mediocre Amfood offerings get real old, real fast.
That's one thing that I'm afraid of. Flex dining isn't going to be like eating in a Southern Railway diner or even on an Empire Builder trip that I took in 91. Their chief's strawberry shortcake was something to kill for.

The deserts come in a plastic cup now, like at the gas station quick stops