• How does Amtrak determine car numbers?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by east point

WashingtonPark wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:04 pm
Usually odd numbered rooms are on the right hand side, but I don't know if that's a hard and fast rule.
Believe that is correct if the V-1s have the vestibule forward. Now for V-2s have no idea but maybe ? ? Someone let us know ?
  by east point

Need to modify last statement. Most east coast LD train are now having sleepers in front with the usual vestibule pointing toward diner and / or lounge? Anyway someone needs to confirm numbering of sleeper spaces as reference to the vestibule. That includes bag - Dorm if possible.
  by J.D. Lang

Thanks for all the replies. From looking at the room diagrams online the odd number rooms are on the right hand side if looking toward the vestibule. From pictures and vids I've looked at of 49 they all have the sleepers toward the end of the train with just the V-bag behind them with the vestibule forward toward the diner ahead of it. Looks like my room window will be lookin at rock cliffs and graffiti retaining walls instead of nice views of the Hudson. I'll call their 800 number and see if I can get an even number roomette preferably #2 or #4 as I do prefer the center of the car as Tadman notes.
  by exvalley

WashingtonPark wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:04 pm
J.D. Lang wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:32 pm Not exactly car numbers but I have a question about room numbers and hope someone may be able to help me out. I just booked a trip on the Lake Shore Limited (49) out of NYC for Chicago on April 20th. They gave me a car #4911 room #3 on a viewliner sleeper. I am hoping that my room number is a room on the Hudson side for the scenery. So the question is do they usually orient the car the same way out of NYC and if so would my number 3 be on the correct side. If not I'd like to change it now while there is still time. Thanks in advance.
Usually odd numbered rooms are on the right hand side, but I don't know if that's a hard and fast rule.
The overwhelming likelihood is that the odd number roomettes will be on the right (non-Hudson) side.

However... the odd number roomettes tend to have the toilet facing backwards, which means that if you want to sit facing forward you will NOT have the toilet right next to you.

My advice... stick with the odd numbered room and enjoy use sleeper lounge (aka dining car) for the Hudson view.
  by SouthernRailway

Thanks for all of the responses.

Quick sidetrack (bad pun):

Why does Amtrak now run sleeping cars at the back of its Eastern LD trains (in front of only the baggage car)?

I always thought the layout was locomotive-baggage-sleeping cars-dining car-whatever else.
  by Greg Moore

It has varied over the years.
With the LSL though, as long as the Boston Section has been running, they've been fairly consistent on being at the rear of the train.
This allows the Boston section, complete with its engine to be attached to the front of the train. This permits a single operation of attaching the cars and swapping out the dual mode engine.
  by Tadman

exvalley wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 pm
The overwhelming likelihood is that the odd number roomettes will be on the right (non-Hudson) side.

However... the odd number roomettes tend to have the toilet facing backwards, which means that if you want to sit facing forward you will NOT have the toilet right next to you.

My advice... stick with the odd numbered room and enjoy use sleeper lounge (aka dining car) for the Hudson view.
I just don't use the can in my cabin. I go to a coach or somewhere else. It stays shut the entire time and I pretend it's not there (nor do I touch it).
SouthernRailway wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:58 pm Thanks for all of the responses.

Quick sidetrack (bad pun):

Why does Amtrak now run sleeping cars at the back of its Eastern LD trains (in front of only the baggage car)?

I always thought the layout was locomotive-baggage-sleeping cars-dining car-whatever else.
LSL has two sections. In order to join them at the diner, which makes it easiest to walk through, they run the NYP section sleepers aft and Boston section sleepers-forward. The other ends of each respective train are the diner and lounge, where they are joined.

The traditional arrangement was power-bag-coach-sleeper, and Via still does this. It's to keep the high dollar customers farthest from the noise. For some reason Amtrak flipped that idea and usually runs sleepers behind the bag. I've never heard why. It's not fun riding in one of the forward cabins on the trans dorm on CNO or Eagle with no bag and one engine, that horn is a lot closer and louder.
  by Greg Moore

The reason sleepers were moved to the front at one point was given as less run-in and run-out when starting/stopping the train.

And honestly I've found that a bigger issue than the horn. But that's me.
  by J.D. Lang

That's why I'm going to take the LSL out of NY. Where I live taking 449 out of Springfield would have been a much shorter drive for me than driving all the way to New Haven and taking a regional to NYP to catch the LSL. With no more baggage car on 448/449 the sleeper is directly behind the locos. No way would I put up with all of that noise and horn blowing all night long plus having to walk 2/3 of the train to get to the FC diner/lounge.