Railroad Forums 

• Safety

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1528956  by SouthernRailway

I told a group of friends that I'm taking an Amtrak long-distance train overnight soon. One (who is European) looked shocked and said, "Is that safe?!" I explained that I'll be in a sleeping car, with a private room.

I've never heard any issued about safety, and I guess there is some possibility that someone could enter my room while I'm in the dining car, but unlikely.

Has anyone ever had any safety issues in a sleeping car in the US? If so, can you lock your room (from the hallway side) when you're not in it?

Thanks.
 #1528972  by WashingtonPark

You can't lock the doors from the outside so take anything really valuable with you, but I've been traveling long distance 40 years and have never heard of a problem or had one myself on any train I've ridden.
 #1529005  by gokeefe

Safer than the second class sleeper trains in Italy which I have heard tend to have issues with thieves. So, "yes" very safe and safer than some options in Europe no less.
 #1529008  by Greg Moore

I've never had an issue in coach or sleeping car with items being stolen.

That said, I tended to be careful to not leave stuff alone in coach between station stops if I could help it. (I figured if something was missing when I got back I could at least alert the conductor before the next stop).
With sleeper, I'm less worried since there's less general traffic in the cars.

YMMV of course.
 #1529019  by MACTRAXX

SR:

Which train are you taking your overnight Amtrak train trip on?

Amtrak overnight train consists have traditionally been run with coaches and sleeping cars separated with
the lounge and/or dining cars in the center of the train. Passengers from the coaches as example can walk
from that section of the train to the dining and lounge cars but do not have access to the sleeping cars.

All sleeping cars have a car attendant working a specific car or cars in the sleeping section of the train. If
you have any concerns or specific questions about your accommodation it is best to address it with them
around the start of the trip.

Amtrak sleeping cars are a safe and restful way to travel.
Keep us posted on your trip...MACTRAXX
 #1532450  by Tadman

I'm sure a determined thief could make out quite well on a train, but there are much more attractive options. For one, once everything has been lifted, you'd have to hide them until a destination is reached and then get back home. It seems much more attractive to grab a few laptops at Starbucks or bust into a BMW in a parking garage.

Also, this is a bit like the "don't outrun a bear, run faster than your friend" scenario. All you have to do is make your stuff less attractive than the cabins or seats around you. Don't leave an ipad or laptop laying around when you go to the diner. Hide your iphone charging cables, they're distinctive. Don't put all of that stuff in one bag when you hide it, as thiefs can easily snatch one bag and roll hard. I often leave my suitcase full of clothes in plain view and open so it's obvious just clothes, then put my briefcase under the seat or in the closet, which means they'd have to get in there and spend time looking for it.