Railroad Forums 

• SELECTED ON TIME PERFORMANCE 11/1/19 THROUGH11/30/19

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1527357  by shlustig

Results for this period are:

TOTAL TRAINS = 1201

ON TIME = 494 (41%)

LATE = 707 (59%)

AVERAGE DELAY = 49"

Of the late trains:
51% were 29" or less late;
22% were 30" to 59" late;
18% were 1' to 2' late;
9% were more than 2' late; and
<1% had no arrival time shown.

BY ROUTE, WITH ON-TIME % AND AVERAGE DELAY:

CAPITOL LIMITED
#29 - 33% - 51"
#30 - 33% - 56"

CARDINAL (WAS)
#51 - 92% - 33"
#50 - 23% - 1' 42"

PENNSYLVANIAN
#43 - 36% - 24"
#42 - 25% - 17"

LAKE SHORE LIMITED
#49 - 21% - 1' 20"
#48 - 33% - 56"

LAKE SHORE LIMITED (BOSTON / ALBANY)
#449 - 79% - 25"
#448 - 21% - 1' 04"

CITY OF NEW ORLEANS
#59 - 93% - 1' 08"
#58 - 83% - 45"

CRESCENT (WAS)
#19 - 3% - 1' 38"
#20 - 17% - 1' 28"

DETROIT CORRIDOR
(W) - 4% - 49"
(E) - 9% - 51"

ST. LOUIS CORRIDOR
(W) - 66% - 27"
(E) - 56% - 48"

BUFFALO CORRIDOR
(W) - 12% - 38"
(E) - 60% - 30"

KANSAS CITY CORRIDOR
(W) - 54% - 39"
(E) - 49% - 34"

98% of the scheduled trains were reviewed in this period, the exceptions occurring on the short corridors and the routes of the Pennsylvanian and the Lake Shore Limited due to weather conditions and operational problems.

Services which improved in both measured categories included the westbound Cardinal, Pennsylvanian, Lake Shore Limited, and BUF Corridor along with both directions of the City of New Orleans and the Capitol Limited.

Of the 63 trains which were more than 2' late: the Crescent accounted for 14, the Lake Shore Limited for 12, the Capitol Limited for 5, and the Cardinal for 2.

Of the total delay minutes in this period: the DET Corridor accounted for 24%, the BUF Corridor and the Crescent for 15% each, and the Lake Shore Limited for 14%.

An in-depth review of the DET Corridor revealed that for the 3 round-trips daily:

WESTBOUND
6 departed PON late;
41 lost time PON to DER;
90 lost time DER to PO (Porter)
17 lost time PO to CHI; and
44 made up time PO to CHI.

EASTBOUND
5 Dp. CHI late;
45 lost time CHI to PO; 79 lost time PO to DER;
9 lost time DER to PON; and
67 made up time DER to PON.

Despite the padding in the schedules, substantially more time was lost en route than could be recovered.

When checking the Amtrak Twitter delay reporting, it is apparent that an increasing number of delays are due to mechanical problems. Also noted were the multiple delays due to freight train congestion or interference on a route that has only limited portions which involve through-freight operations.

It is obvious that there is no evidence of any substantial efforts by senior management to reduce the number of avoidable delays. Whether this is due to corporate indifference or a serious lack of ability remains open to question.
 #1527671  by shlustig

daybeers:
The publicly available delay information does not detail the types of equipment which cause the delays. Perhaps we have a viewer who is familiar enough to provide some information. There is no doubt that the number and frequency of mechanical delays coupled with the lack of cooperation from the host carriers to provide emergency power on a timely basis have increased the length of the delays to extreme limits.

rct: While the performance does seem to be improving somewhat, there is a long way to go to match the performance of 3 years ago:
Dec. 2016 - #43 @ 77% & 32"; #42 @43% & 11"
Jan. 2107 - #43 @ 90% &17"; #42 @ 62% & 14"
Feb. 2017 - #43 @77% & 25"; #42 @ 77% & 9"

Undoubtedly, some of the delays to #42 have been due to the ongoing conditions at NYP which have caused both major and minor disruptions to normal operations..
 #1528626  by ryanch

Curious about two things. First is about the Detroit corridor. I'm guessing that you're tracking 3 trains/day in the Detroit corridor. So does that mean 100% of westbound trains lost time from Dearborn to Porter? Or maybe there were a handful of Thanksgiving extras? Either way, the showing isn't great, but if it was 90 out of 90, wow! Or is there something I'm misunderstanding?:
WESTBOUND
6 departed PON late;
41 lost time PON to DER;
90 lost time DER to PO (Porter)
17 lost time PO to CHI; and
44 made up time PO to CHI.

EASTBOUND
5 Dp. CHI late;
45 lost time CHI to PO; 79 lost time PO to DER;
9 lost time DER to PON; and
67 made up time DER to PON.
Is it possible to determine where the Wolverines are losing time Dearborn to Porter? (In another thread, someone had mentioned that Amtrak switches to freight tracks briefly in Battle Creek, with the thought that that might be responsible for delays. But I note that Amtrak dispatches for the entire run from Porter to Dearborn, so if there's any delay there, it's only because Amtrak is allowing it.

So what IS the problem in Michigan?

Second question is how do you actually get the information? I might be interested in looking at some things, so I'm wondering where to look.

Thanks.
Last edited by ryanch on Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1528628  by ryanch

Ha! I'm looking at the Amtrak Track Your Train function right now, and it shows an inbound Michigan Services 355 that theoretically:
  • Left Pontiac on December 9th.
  • Will arrive in Chicago at 10:57 pm
  • is 17 minutes late (it's 4:16 pm in Chicago now)
It also shows an Illinois Service train headed for Homewood that is sitting at 18th St., clocking as 7 minutes early. It's not even 7 minutes from Union Station! It would have had to leave the station before its scheduled departure to be 7 minutes early sitting there.

Not sure the tracker is entirely reliable.

Edited -- to remove an earlier comment about the Homewood train heading west. That was the back-up move on the St. Charles Air Line, which is a real, but annoying, brief move westerly.

Still, there is also a St. Louis train sitting outside Union Station, which departed St. Louis on October 29th. Those folks are gonna be surly when they finally get off in Chicago.
 #1528665  by ryanch

I'm not being political, but there are times when you can point at a specific politician and know with absolute certainty that they are the cause that Amtrak trains run late.

For instance, tonight -- Train 355 lost 29 minutes and 354 lost 47 minutes waiting on Presidential security arrangements in Battle Creek. Amtrak's twitter discretely called it "law enforcement personnel activity."

364 is the one that got slaughtered -- 3 minutes late in Kalamazoo, now 2 hrs. 42 min. late heading into E. Lansing.

Even if you dispatch your own railroad, sometimes there's nothing you can do.
 #1528815  by shlustig

ryanch:

The DET Corridor figures cover the 3 scheduled round-trips. I take the information from the Dixieland Amtrak Status site as it is much more user-friendly than the Amtrak site.

Since Porter is not shown on the schedules, I use the times at the 1st station stop east of Porter and compare to the times at the 1st station west of Porter.

While there may be some "congestion" at Battle Creek where the line joins the former GTW briefly through town, the number and length of delays is all out of proportion. Except for this one small section, AFAIK there is no mainline freight service between Porter and Dearborn.

The other problem in reviewing performance is the lack of specific information on the Amtrak Delay Alerts. If I can track down specific causes that are not attributable to Amtrak or the host carrier, I drop that train from the overall calculations.