Railroad Forums 

• Strange Amtrak service in the '90's

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1521352  by Greg Moore

gokeefe wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:53 pm This is a strange service. I've read about this train before but didn't realize it was running as a single coach.

This has to be the smallest train (by number of seats available) ever run by Amtrak.
Hmm, I think River Cities also counts. One engine, one coach at times.

And there was one as I recall that ran during the MHC era that had a single coach so it would qualify as a passenger train, but no one really road it.
 #1521356  by The EGE

The original iteration of the Clamdigger (a New London-New Haven commuter run), which lasted only until January 1972, was also a single RDC.
 #1521367  by David Benton

Greg Moore wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:05 pm
And there was one as I recall that ran during the MHC era that had a single coach so it would qualify as a passenger train, but no one really road it.
The Janesville-Chicago train? The butt of a lot of railfan humor (mostly centered around its main cargo,catfood) and probably the worst of Warrington's "Express" initiatives.
 #1521407  by Anthony

David Benton wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:54 am
Greg Moore wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:05 pm
The Janesville-Chicago train? The butt of a lot of railfan humor (mostly centered around its main cargo,catfood) and probably the worst of Warrington's "Express" initiatives.
I still don't understand why that train didn't go on to Madison, WI and the WSOR tracks (Fox Lake to Madison) weren't upgraded. If they did those two actions, the train would've done 1,000 times better, and might still be running today.
 #1521426  by mtuandrew

When you’re going 30 mph on Class 2 track it’s a lot easier to stop and flag an intersection for your eight-axle train :P and so many of the Janesville Javelins were multi-car freight trains with a coach as an afterthought.
 #1521465  by R36 Combine Coach

David Benton wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:54 am
Greg Moore wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:05 pm And there was one as I recall that ran during the MHC era that had a single coach so it would qualify as a passenger train, but no one really road it.
A mixed train that was intended to serve the GM Truck plant (expedited deliveries). Quite a irony given GM's alleged NCL and "Roger Rabbit" conspiracy on rail transit lines.

Also the Kentucky Cardinal (to Louisville) was a mixed, usually with one or two boxcars and a coach tagged on.

Other than Northern Ontario and Manitoba, any other mixed trains in the 21st century?
mtuandrew wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:05 pm When you’re going 30 mph on Class 2 track it’s a lot easier to stop and flag an intersection for your eight-axle train :P and so many of the Janesville Javelins were multi-car freight trains with a coach as an afterthought.
"Kenosha Javelins" would be more fitting than Janesville. (Calling Rambler fans...)
 #1521498  by CHTT1

There were lots of mixed trains on Amtrak during the the "express and freight" period when Amtrak tried to achieve profitability by adding MHC boxcars and flexi-vans to long distance trains as well as the oddities such as the Lake Country Limited. That program, run by Ed Ellis, failed because it somehow didn't make any money.
 #1522213  by Roadgeek Adam

On top of that, the Lake Country Limited lost the most money per passenger for fiscal year 2000 at a whopping $512 per passenger. The then-full length Sunset Limited would be second at $272. It was averaging 5-6 passengers when it started. The summer of 2000 got it to a dozen, but it fell back down. Just never worked out.

The similar Kentucky Cardinal fared better but not much better, at a loss of $168 per passenger.
 #1522746  by Ridgefielder

TomNelligan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:04 pm
gokeefe wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:53 pmThis has to be the smallest train (by number of seats available) ever run by Amtrak.
It was certainly an anomaly for the Northeast Corridor, but as a historical point I can think of two other single-car Amtrak runs from the 1970s. At that tine, some off peak New Haven-Springfield shuttles consisted of just a solo RDC per my photos linked below. I've also seen photos from Amtrak's early days of the Harrisburg-Baltimore-Washington section of the New York-Kansas City National Limited running down the Port Road as a GG1 with a single through coach. Of course that train didn't last very long.

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=242369
http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=242368
A GG1 and a single coach? Thing must have moved like a bat out of hell.
 #1522767  by gokeefe

The 90s were definitely a period of oddities at times, Mail & Express initiatives, the National Chief transcontinental proposal, multiple types of unique trainsets operating throughout the system, heritage cars still common, oddball seasonal services (Cape Codder). And then right in the middle of all that Amtrak is able to get funding for electrification between New Haven and Boston, an accomplishment we hardly ever discuss here.

At the same time Amtrak also made the decision to pursue service to Portland in cooperation with the State of Maine. This would require arrangements for a second Boston terminal along with an operating agreement with a new host railroad. Amazing how much they got done in those years.
 #1522833  by Tadman

gokeefe wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:12 pm ... And then right in the middle of all that Amtrak is able to get funding for electrification between New Haven and Boston, an accomplishment we hardly ever discuss here.

At the same time Amtrak also made the decision to pursue service to Portland in cooperation with the State of Maine. ...
Agreed these were two huge wins that we don't acknowledge much because one is a new corridor and one is electrification of a prior corridor. Could you imagine today's ridership with diesels to BOS? NO way...