Railroad Forums 

• Engine assignments Alb - NYP

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1518095  by TCurtin

I'm curious about something. We live near the Hudson line and so often see Amtrak trains go through. Now and then I will see one with
two locomotives. Now, it's obvious that no train on that route requires two units for power so there must be some other reason,
such as evening out locomotive availability at one end of the route versus the other; or deadheading one of the engines to or from a shop.
Comments?

(Exception to the above: during the summer of 2017 when the morning Maple leaf and Adirondack were combined as a single train
NYP - Alb, it had two units and 11 cars every day, which was an impressive sight)

Question: is there any train in either direction that has two units predictably assigned? If you haven;t already figured this out, I'm asking
for photographic purposes.
 #1518145  by Backshophoss

#'s 48/49 (Lake Shore Ltd) normally has 2 units to/from NY Penn.
At times past,it was 1 electric motor to Harmon,then 2 E's to Alb
After Amtrak rebuilt their FL-9's ,2 from GCT to Alb,even after the move to NY Penn.
 #1518166  by Railjunkie

ALB to NYP will only have a single unit this includes the Lake Shore. If you should see two units on the Hudson, could be one is out for testing after servicing or possibly they need an engine in NY account something died.
 #1518173  by Greg Moore

Backshophoss wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:06 pm #'s 48/49 (Lake Shore Ltd) normally has 2 units to/from NY Penn.
After Amtrak rebuilt their FL-9's ,2 from GCT to Alb,even after the move to NY Penn.
This talk of Es and FL-9s makes me wonder if you're stuck in a time machine and posting from the past :-)
 #1518180  by electricron

Greg Moore wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:42 am
Backshophoss wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:06 pm #'s 48/49 (Lake Shore Ltd) normally has 2 units to/from NY Penn.
This talk of Es and FL-9s makes me wonder if you're stuck in a time machine and posting from the past :-)
tWhat did you think the phrase "At times past," meant? :(
You should not be wondering, you should have known you were in a time machine. :)