Railroad Forums 

• Arriving at White River Junction

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1516338  by shadyjay

My o/s (Windows10) wants me to pay 99cents for a codec to view. Suggest posting on YOUTUBE in the future.

(Mods may want to put this in the Vermonter thread if they so desire, as I'm assuming its of 54/57 arriving into WRJ)
 #1516389  by bratkinson

2 Weeks ago, I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and it, too, didn't like playing most videos. Thank you Microsoft for screwing everybody up!

Maybe 4-5 years ago already, I was having trouble playing MP4's on my main Windows 7 computer after some 'update' messed things up. While I don't know exactly how Codec's work or what they do, I figured that was my problem. I ultimately found the K-Lite Codec pack.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... y3LssEnnis

Installed their 'Mega' version (It's free by the way), and never had any problems since. So, I downloaded it on my new laptop and have no problems playing any of the thousands of MP4 and other videos I copied over from my old laptop.

My main computer is still Windows 7. I will either convert it to double-boot capability or build a new desktop computer with Windows 10 and keep the Win 7 computer on my KVM, along with my XP computer, too. The cost of migrating/updating the 30 or so purchased software products for Windows 10 compatibility is too high for me to ever make Windows 10 my 'main' operating system.
 #1516575  by JoeG

That's why I got a Mac 7 years ago and never looked back. My Mac incidentally downloaded and played the video without anymore downloads, adjustments or fees. I just got tired of Windows BS. if you have a Mac you wont need to maintain several versions of the OS. I reboot every week or two and rebooting is way faster than with Windows. MacOS is basically Unix under the hood so it uses much less resources than Windows. And if you know Unix you can write shell scripts for it.
 #1517471  by daybeers

Saugatuck: as you can see, uploading a video as an attachment to a post creates issues, so it may be wise to upload the video to YouTube or Vimeo next time.

Otherwise, VLC is a free, open source cross-platform video player that will play pretty much every video codec and file type under the sun. Had no issue playing the video. Neither did the built-in Windows player, so I'm not sure what's different about your machines.

Bratkinson, I hope you're aware XP is a serious security vulnerability since Microsoft no longer provides updates for it and Windows 7 will stop being supported on January 14, 2020 if you have Service Pack 1, so it too will become a security vulnerability then as well.
 #1517741  by Backshophoss

The "K-lite" setup works fine on win 10,tied to the win media player,creates the "classic" style player.
A heads up the .mov file will play sideways on the player.(when viewed on a laptop PC :( )
 #1517745  by NS VIA FAN

Some nostalgia for your viewing pleasure…….The ‘Washingtonian’ arriving at White River Jct. in the wee hours of the morning back in April ’74.

Still the ‘Washingtonian’……but within a month t would be renamed the ‘Montrealer’ in the southbound direction also:

http://www.timetables.org/full.php?grou ... &item=0027
http://www.timetables.org/full.php?grou ... &item=0033

#1518031  by Allouette

Nice shots at WRJ. The ex-Sunset Limited 10&6 sleepers like 2684 were staples on the Montrealer in the 1970s and early 1980s. The Montrealer was one of the last Amtrak trains in the Northeast to get Amtrak crews - it was still possible to watch the CV crew (with CV hats and badges) hand off to a B&M crew (with B&M uniforms) for the section to Springfield until sometime in 1977.
 #1518038  by ExCon90

Rockingham Racer wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:24 am Based on the station listing to the right of the stairs, I would say "yes".
Definitely. The departure time in the 24-hour clock is a Canadian hallmark. I think CN started it way back when.
 #1518039  by Rockingham Racer

ExCon90 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:53 pm
Rockingham Racer wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:24 am Based on the station listing to the right of the stairs, I would say "yes".
Definitely. The departure time in the 24-hour clock is a Canadian hallmark. I think CN started it way back when.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that, also. We Americans cannot get used to using the 24-hr clock here for whatever reason.
 #1518042  by ExCon90

Somebody would just have to take the initiative; I suppose today it would have to be the airlines. Railroads already use it internally and I assume the airlines do also. It would be worth trying if only to see who comes out against it, for whatever reason.