Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak New Gulf Coast Service - New Orleans to Mobile AL

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1510877  by gokeefe

ADMIN NOTE: Topic split off from Sunset East: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=163150

Late breaking news from the Gulf Coast ...
Amtrak is expected to return to the Gulf Coast within 24 months, linking a new passenger rail between New Orleans and Mobile.

U.S. Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., announced Friday the awarding of a $33 million grant from the Federal Railroad Administration to fund infrastructure and capacity improvements that will enable Amtrak’s Gulf Coast return.
The $33 million award through the Consolidated Rail Infrastructure and Safety Improvements (CRISI) program will go to the Southern Rail Commission (SRC), a 21-member group that promotes passenger rail service and pursues funding opportunities to support its mission.

The money will cover half the cost of the $65.9 million rail line project, which will also be supported by a combination of investments and matching grants from Mississippi, Louisiana and Amtrak.
Amtrak, meanwhile, said it’s committed to working with the SRC, CSX and the states in getting the service restarted within 24 months.
“At Amtrak, we believe services such as this one is what the future of passenger rail service looks like: safe, relevant, and reliable, connecting major markets such as New Orleans and Mobile,” said Joe McHugh, Amtrak’s vice-president of state supported services. “Amtrak endorsed this grant application because we believe this project makes sense for the Gulf Coast region.”
 #1510931  by gokeefe

With respect to Amtrak such an amendment wouldn't be legal regardless. Brightline or another private operator would be a different question entirely.

It is worth noting that this project continues to grind forward even in the face of adversity from a state level stakeholder. I find that impressive to say the least.
 #1510969  by electricron

gokeefe wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:45 pm
Amtrak is expected to return to the Gulf Coast within 24 months, linking a new passenger rail between New Orleans and Mobile.
The money will cover half the cost of the $65.9 million rail line project, which will also be supported by a combination of investments and matching grants from Mississippi, Louisiana and Amtrak.
Amtrak, meanwhile, said it’s committed to working with the SRC, CSX and the states in getting the service restarted within 24 months.
Have Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana allocated the matching funds yet? All it takes is one state to not commit cash into the train for it to fail.
 #1511007  by John_Perkowski

As long as it’s on UP System to Shreveport. Remember, KCS did not have to join Amtrak, so any new agreement with them will cost real money.
 #1511043  by Tadman

mtuandrew wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:24 am Here’s a thought: an Creole Limited from Tampa to Corpus Christi via Jacksonville and San Antonio. Dump the Sunset Limited east of San Antonio, or send it to NOL via Dallas and Shreveport.
Andrew, my head hurts! This is like a "whats the worst long distance train you can think of?" contest entrant.

How many hosts?
How many nights?
How indirect?

My entrant would be Winnipeg-Fargo-Owatanna-Boise-Winnemucca. I call it the "WOW"...

All kidding aside, Some of those city pairs aren't bad, but wouldn't you rather see 4x with a handful of reconditioned horizons and a cafe with food pre-ordered by passengers and stocked by Do&co? That's something a regular traveler could use.
 #1511047  by mtuandrew

Tad: two hosts (CSX/UP, not counting SunRail and any terminal roads).
3 days, 2 nights.
Very direct between Jax and San Antonio, San Antonio to Corpus Christi, and Jacksonville and Tampa. Between NOL and Tampa or NOL and Corpus, it wouldn’t really matter if you went an hour out of your way by train.
John_Perkowski wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:53 am As long as it’s on UP System to Shreveport. Remember, KCS did not have to join Amtrak, so any new agreement with them will cost real money.
Yup, that was one reason I would route via San Antonio. The other and bigger reason is that the Sunset Limited just doesn’t have good numbers and I’d like to make what seems to be an obvious travel pattern split at San Antonio.
 #1511083  by Jeff Smith

At most, bring it to Tallahassee or Jacksonville. I'm just glad this isn't a CoNO extension. Remember <cough> Virgin Brightline <cough>? There's no need to go any further south in Florida. I'll be surprised if Amtrak makes it much longer in Florida past Jax.
 #1511086  by WhartonAndNorthern

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:16 am At most, bring it to Tallahassee or Jacksonville. I'm just glad this isn't a CoNO extension. Remember <cough> Virgin Brightline <cough>? There's no need to go any further south in Florida. I'll be surprised if Amtrak makes it much longer in Florida past Jax.
On the contrary, I can see them paying to run the Meteor over Virgin/Brightline from Orlando to Miami. Complete the DC2RVA improvements and you can knock a 27 hour trip down to less than 24 hours. Maybe even reduce the number of sets required to run the Meteor.
 #1511090  by Philly Amtrak Fan

Tadman wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:09 pm
mtuandrew wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:24 am Here’s a thought: an Creole Limited from Tampa to Corpus Christi via Jacksonville and San Antonio. Dump the Sunset Limited east of San Antonio, or send it to NOL via Dallas and Shreveport.
Andrew, my head hurts! This is like a "whats the worst long distance train you can think of?" contest entrant.

How many hosts?
How many nights?
How indirect?

My entrant would be Winnipeg-Fargo-Owatanna-Boise-Winnemucca. I call it the "WOW"...

All kidding aside, Some of those city pairs aren't bad, but wouldn't you rather see 4x with a handful of reconditioned horizons and a cafe with food pre-ordered by passengers and stocked by Do&co? That's something a regular traveler could use.
Nah, the worst long distance train already exists, it's called the Cardinal. I would say the WOW would be worse (I have never heard of Owatanna and barely heard of Winnemucca). I would like to see a direct train between Texas and Florida in some capacity as long as Houston still has a train.
 #1511094  by Jeff Smith

https://www.al.com/news/2019/06/rail-ad ... mited.html
When the transcontinental Sunset Limited last operated three-days-a-week voyages along the Gulf Coast 14 years ago, on-time performances and ridership numbers were both poor and stops into Mobile were often made late in the night.

Southern rail advocates say the revived New Orleans-to-Mobile route will be nothing like the Sunset Limited service that was interrupted when Hurricane Katrina wrecked the rail line in 2005. In fact, they say the new passenger service will be a first-of-its kind for the Gulf Coast.

“If anyone states any comparison to the Sunset Limited, they either have no clue what they are talking about -- or they do know what they are talking about and are misinforming,” said Wiley Blankenship, president/CEO of the Coastal Alabama Partnership and an Alabama representative on the 21-member Southern Rail Commission.

“Sunset Limited is a long-distance train,” he said. “This is a regional train with a short distance and a few stops in Mississippi.”
 #1511095  by Jeff Smith

Sunset East or CoNO extension: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=163150

Reference to previous Amtrak service not part of the Sunset: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Coast_Limited