Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak to Long Island: MTA agrees to explore

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1497953  by njtmnrrbuff

[quote="dgvrengineer"]What does Gov. Cuomo have over Amtrak that they suddenly give up all their demands for bridge rehab and access fees for a stinking study on Long Island service?[/quote]

That's what I mean. If the study is intended for MNR to serve the East Bronx, don't mention anything about Amtrak service to LI. That's not relevant.
 #1497958  by east point

At one time Amtrak listed the Pelham bay bridge as needing replacement and being beyond recoverable repair and will last at most 10 years. Looking at pictures of the bridge it is understandable. What is needed IMHO is start now building a new lift bridge beside the present bridge and when completed plan to remove the old bridge and build a new one to provide for the 4 tracks needed from New Rochelle to Harold!
 #1497976  by EuroStar

ConstanceR46 wrote:Where would Amtrak even go in LI?
Someone on another board suggested Ronkonkoma with stops in Hicksville and Jamaica. Montauk is way too far and too sparsely populated to justify anything even though it has one advantage and that is the wye. A Ronkonkoma turn would require a new wye or consists with cab cars from Amtrak. If anyone is really trying to get this going the easiest trains to extend are the ones from Albany as long as they have an engine on each end. This is especially so given that NYState already subsidizes the trains to Albany. I am unsure about the demand from LI to Albany, but this is the state capital, so maybe there is enough. The person on the other board also pointed out that Ronkonkoma just got second track, is getting an expanded yard and a third track to Hicksville, so this is probably doable after the completion of those projects. Should it be done? I don't know. Is the demand there is the major question.
Last edited by EuroStar on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1498038  by eolesen

Considering the distance to Montauk is longer than several other Amtrak routes (e.g. NYP-PHL and CHI-MKE), it's not out of the question to see a splitting out of the LIRR's operation:

* LIRR runs within the footprint of the existing electrified territory
* Port Jeff Line finally sees electrification all the way to Port Jeff
* NYS takes the remaining dieselized territory i.e. east of Ronkonkoma/Babylon and assigns Amtrak as the operator

That would convert the LIRR over to all-electric fleet, and maybe even lower the fleet and crew costs for the diesel operations since those could be spread across both Empire Service and Long Island Services.
 #1498069  by Nasadowsk

eolesen wrote:Considering the distance to Montauk is longer than several other Amtrak routes (e.g. NYP-PHL and CHI-MKE), it's not out of the question to see a splitting out of the LIRR's operation:

* LIRR runs within the footprint of the existing electrified territory
* Port Jeff Line finally sees electrification all the way to Port Jeff
* NYS takes the remaining dieselized territory i.e. east of Ronkonkoma/Babylon and assigns Amtrak as the operator

That would convert the LIRR over to all-electric fleet, and maybe even lower the fleet and crew costs for the diesel operations since those could be spread across both Empire Service and Long Island Services.
I think when Amtrak was first formed, the LIRR Montauk line was actually eligible to be handed to them.

East of KO, third rail to RIverhead is a no brainer. Beyond that, there's really no good answer (DMUs, or abandonment. There really aren't any riders out there). Where you extend the rial to on the Montauk is a bigger question. But Port Jeff and Osyet Bay are almost prerequisites for any further extensions west, anyway. And realistically, it should be done no matter what - it's insane that the LI is running the amount of diesel services it still does. LI isn't a ghost town west of 110, and hasn't been for a few decades now. As for the OB - there's zero reason it should be a diesel line, the density right up to Locust Valley is heavy, and Glen Cove is starting to build up like crazy now. Port Jeff? That should have been done 20 years ago...

I could see Amtrak running a premium Hamptons-centered service, but not regular commuter. Anything they run will supplement existing LIRR services.
 #1498088  by DutchRailnut

One thing Amtrak has to consider is what services are available at turn around point.
I doubt they will get a bunch of car cleaners and mechanics all way in Montauk.
but the trains sure will need servicing after a 3 hour trip.
 #1498099  by NIMBYkiller

I'm normally all for improving convenience and expanding rail service, but this just doesn't make any sense. Maybe there's something I'm just not seeing, but outside of Fridays/Sundays I don't see much of a need for it. Yes, there are employment centers on Long Island (Nassau Hub, Lake Success, Melville, Hauppauge are the largest that come to mind) but the RR provides such frequent connecting service that I really think that Amtrak service isn't the best use of the limited capacity that will be available even after the extra track from Floral Park to Ronkonkoma is done. The only place east of Penn that makes sense to me is Jamaica for the sake of connecting to the most important airport in the area, and with the redesign of the track layout there, I believe there is going to be space just east of Jamaica to change ends (but the same problem with gapping at Penn, but it's not impossible to overcome). Even Jamaica is a tough argument to make given the congestion at rush hour. The only way I see full time Long Island making sense would be if it was done as per their Next Gen HSR suggestion where something connects from LI to CT or RI, which in that case, they'd probably have to use the old Central ROW (which works perfectly for a centralized Nassau Hub stop) to avoid main line congestion and probably also add a 3rd track to much of the main east of Bethpage just to keep things moving around the LIRR trains.
 #1498106  by geico

DutchRailnut wrote:yes but Amtrak engine is in lead, the restriction is for push/pull.
the new Amtrak cars are going to be push/pull.

and for all the fantasy about trains going to Boston or Washington, you really think Amtrak is going to plan engine swap ? or buy a * of long distance Dual modes ?
What difference does it make if the engine is in the lead or pushing? a 3rd rail gap is a 3rd rail gap. Yes the engineer will see it and momentum will help, but other than the 2 DM30s are needed for the number of cars on LIRR trains, in theory a DM30 could lead with 2 or 3 cars and not need a 2nd engine. Whats good for Amtrak should be good for the LIRR
 #1498108  by DutchRailnut

LIRR is not allowed in with single DM on a train no matter what length.
 #1498132  by Backshophoss

Now that the eastern end of the Montauk branch is under CTC/ATC.cab signal control with ACSES install in the near future,
could see Amtrak running to MY with a DC to Monatuk "Cannonball" during the summer weekends as was done when Amtrak went to
Cape Cod Ma. years back.
Get a local Oil dealer to bring in fuel,Merry Maids clean the cars,and Sunnyside sends some car knockers and Mech personel to take care
of minor problems on the consist.
The pair of P32dm's can turn on the Montauk wye.