Dig the new rr.net Instagram account: @railroad_dot_net
Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman
EuroStar wrote: ↑Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:39 am In my opinion, the best and most attainable second use of the old Acela sets is on the Keystone corridor. I am not saying that it is going to happen, but anyone dreaming of a commuter agency or VIA buying the cars and making all necessary changes to run them needs a meeting with reality.They’ve been hell bent on making the entire Keystone Corridor high-level. This could work.
The pluses for the Keystone are:
1. The sets will stay with Amtrak and Amtrak already knows how to repair/maintain them.
2. Not all 20 set are needed, so there will be a source of parts available for a while from cannibalization.
3. No modifications for diesel or non-tilting is needed.
4. The current Keystone Amfleets can be redeployed elsewhere for capacity expansion.
The minuses are:
1. Need for high level platforms. Maybe they can build "temporary" wooden platforms ala "LIRR Third Track"?
In my opinion, from all possible second uses this is the one that requires the least amount of $$$ to implement (whether by Amtrak or someone else), but even this is likely to face hurdles that will prove insurmountable and yes, the most likely scenario remains that these sets are going to become paperclips ...
Ridgefielder wrote: ↑Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:42 pm What about selling them to Mexico, Brazil or some such country? Mexico City, at least, has lines electrified at 25kV 60hz AC.They cost so much more to operate and the margins are much thinner in those countries. Power to weight ratio simply doesn't work.
Pensyfan19 wrote: ↑Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:30 pm What about what I said earlier about downgrading the acelas to regional service to provide more trains between DC and Boston and to free up the amfleets for other routed across the country?Because these garbage trains require a lot of work and a lot of money to operate. It would be cheaper to replace them, and the new sets will be taking up the spaces in the HSR buildings in 3 cities so there would not be any room to take care of them without still building a new place to maintain.