Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1544550  by Tadman

photobug56 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:37 pm What's Ivy City?
All the yards in this link: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9151858 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Traditionally it was the split of B&O to Chicago and PRR to New York. Now it's CSX to Chicago and Amtrak NEC to New York. Since the station opened, the coach yards have been in the crook of that V, along with a wye. Metro also has a yard and shop there. I'm not an expert on DC, perhaps the Metro property was once B&O's passenger yard?
 #1545336  by mtuandrew

NaugyRR wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:31 pm I wonder what made them go with a two-tone Euro-style horn
Not gonna lie, I’d prefer a three-tone American chime if they’re willing to install one. Beyond the euphonics, the fact that it sounds more like a Toyota than a train makes it less safe - customers might well mistake the two at their peril. At least the dreaded mismatch doesn’t look too bad in this little Amtrak-official clip: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBV0pOljCyS ... 0dm6w2j9go
 #1545345  by Backshophoss

Put the 5 chime horns used by the P42's,sounds better than the "sick duck" horn that's currently mounted on the Acela II's
Do it right this time. This is not a M-9 or an Arrow II EMU'sI
Last edited by Backshophoss on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1545351  by Greg Moore

I don't want to resurrect the debate itself, but I will note on social media, such as book of faces, Amtrak is doing a great job promoting the testing of the one unit on the NEC. Which I think is great.

And honestly, it appears to be working. It seems to be generating a lot of excitement.
But... definitely a lot of comments on the horn and body shape. It is getting noticed.

That, and certainly lots of people saying "will this come to..." or "will it have sleepers?" So folks definitely want newer, modern trains and overall like this one.
 #1545355  by mtuandrew

Acela150 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:28 pm Are we still going on about the horn? Yes, it's not the traditional K5LA. Get over it. Amtrak isn't in the business of pleasing Railfans with the horn of a train. They're in the business of moving people where they need to go.
Understood. That’s why I framed it as a safety issue :P It’s the kind of thing that Amtrak should advertise, like “hey rich travelers, that horn isn’t from a Corolla, it’s actually your brand-new train so don’t step too close to the tracks” :wink:

I do appreciate that Amtrak is putting out press releases, snapshots, and video clips of AX-II though. They seem to have stepped up their social media game recently.
 #1545356  by Acela150

Greg Moore wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:27 pm I don't want to resurrect the debate itself, but I will note on social media, such as book of faces, Amtrak is doing a great job promoting the testing of the one unit on the NEC. Which I think is great.
They are doing a great job at promoting the testing. Much more then when the original Acela's were under test. But things are extremely different now then 20 years ago.
liftedjeep wrote:Last I heard, the set that was in Philadelphia had been taken to D.C. Does anyone know when and where along the NEC the testing will continue?

Ben
Last I knew, it came back to PHL. I haven't been past PHL in a few days to see if it's sitting in PCY.
 #1545481  by mcgrath618

Acela150 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:31 pm
Greg Moore wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:27 pm I don't want to resurrect the debate itself, but I will note on social media, such as book of faces, Amtrak is doing a great job promoting the testing of the one unit on the NEC. Which I think is great.
They are doing a great job at promoting the testing. Much more then when the original Acela's were under test. But things are extremely different now then 20 years ago.
liftedjeep wrote:Last I heard, the set that was in Philadelphia had been taken to D.C. Does anyone know when and where along the NEC the testing will continue?

Ben
Last I knew, it came back to PHL. I haven't been past PHL in a few days to see if it's sitting in PCY.
It is indeed still in Race St Yard. Hasn't moved very much, but lots of bodies doing inspection work in High Vis Jackets.
 #1546040  by liftedjeep

A soon to be retired Acela trainset in Penn Coach Yard at 30th St Station, resting a few tracks over from its replacement:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5346904

Ben