Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Cancels Albany-area Toys for Tots Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1481646  by Otto Vondrak

Surprised/not surprised.

https://wnyt.com/news/no-toys-for-tots- ... k/5015460/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Marines call it a catastrophic move that will affect approximately 40,000 children and their families who relied on the festive delivery of donated gifts -- including winter coats and gloves.

-otto-
 #1481687  by NaugyRR

That seems like kind of a scummy move on Amtrak's part. I get that they're trying get their finances straightened and focus on running a railroad, but still this just seems wrong.
 #1481706  by BobLI

Can the moderator move this topic to the Amtrak forum for more national exposure. I’m hoping CP Rail can step up and run this train. That would be a good PR move for them.
 #1481738  by Dick H

Here is the website of the TFT Organization. It shows details for 2017
and does not mention the 2018 Train has be killed by Amtrak CEO
Delta Dick. For those posters from NYS, please contact your US
Senators and Representatives. Delta Dick had killed the annual New
River foliage train, but WV Senator Manchin has intervened and the
train will run this fall,
 #1481739  by Greg Moore

BTW, in the social media reactions I've seen almost universally this appears to be a bad PR move. Even the folks, who seem to be somewhat opposed to Amtrak (based on their comments about taxes, etc) seem to think this is a really bad idea.

I suspect this will end up being one of those penny-wise, pound foolish moves, and wouldn't be surprised if it gets reversed... or even Senator "I've never seen a camera I didn't like" Schumer put language in some bill to make this happen.
 #1481745  by gprimr1

A terrible PR move, a terrible decision, and a terrible way to announce it saying "It's not our business model."

Even speaking as someone who supports some of the changes coming to Amtrak, this is a bad decision.
 #1481774  by electricron

Whereas I'm not against Toys For Tots, why has Amtrak limited their participation to just the Albany area? Why not everywhere Amtrak provides services? Here's the rub, why should Amtrak treat Albany any better than Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas, Eugene, Fargo, Greensboro, Hartford, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Memphis, New York City, Orlando, Philadelphia, Quincy, Richmond, Seattle, Tampa, Utica, Vancouver, Washington D.C., and Yuma?
 #1481777  by Backshophoss

The Marines deal with a whole lot of people to pull off the Toys for Tots campaign,this was the "best fit" for Amtrak and New York State.
The run to the border on the Adrondack route was done with the blessing of CN/D&H.
IT was in the same "tradition" as is done now by CSX on the former Clincfield RR.
This is community outreach type deal,that Mr Anderson has turned his back on!
 #1481781  by electricron

Backshophoss wrote:The Marines deal with a whole lot of people to pull off the Toys for Tots campaign,this was the "best fit" for Amtrak and New York State.
The run to the border on the Adrondack route was done with the blessing of CN/D&H.
IT was in the same "tradition" as is done now by CSX on the former Clincfield RR.
This is community outreach type deal,that Mr Anderson has turned his back on!
Best fit??
Here's just a little history of the TFT Foundation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toys_for_Tots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't see anything about real to life trains within the history of the Foundation at all.
Don't change the act of giving to an act of riding. It doesn't matter how the toys get collected and distributed, what matters is that they do get to where they need to be by Christmas....
 #1481785  by SouthernRailway

Dick H wrote:Here is the website of the TFT Organization. It shows details for 2017
and does not mention the 2018 Train has be killed by Amtrak CEO
Delta Dick. For those posters from NYS, please contact your US
Senators and Representatives. Delta Dick had killed the annual New
River foliage train, but WV Senator Manchin has intervened and the
train will run this fall,
Chuck Schumer will almost certainly try to get free PR, yapping in front of a TV camera, due to this. No need to contact him.