Railroad Forums 

• Boston, MA - Cynthiana, KY

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1481175  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. High Green, I think I owe you something that could be called an apology. From the plan you had set forth involving "0-dark-30" arrivals, which could easily become "O-dark-whenevers", I made the assumption you were a twentysomething youngster who was not yet eligible to rent a car.

But after reviewing the comprehensive profile you have chosen to post, I realize I am quite mistaken with that assumption.

Please accept my sincere apology; but I still think alighting any train at those hours other than to get into a taxicab destined to a nearby hotel is some kind of "Assault Course".
 #1481189  by andrewjw

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Finslly, so far as my aversion to Southwest, I realize that their penalty free ticket exchange policy is a worthwhile draw for many, but I don't fly enough (one RT so far this year, one more next month - and if I don't show for that one, I'm out much, MUCH, more than any ticket exchange fee) to be too worried about that. But the "chutes and prods" boarding is "just too much", and even though United's ORD Terminal 1 is no paradise, I at least know my way around it - can't say the same about any part of MDW.
I maintain my dispute of this claim that their boarding is "chutes and prods" - any more than United's, or American's, or Delta's. Boarded all three of them and JetBlue in the past 9 months - you sure you're more informed? Some gate agent woke up on the wrong side of the bed 10 years ago, and you've held the grudge since. Could you please leave your personal airline preferences out of our railway discussions?
 #1481203  by R&DB

andrewjw » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:11 am
...please leave ...airline preferences out of our railway discussions?
Agreed!
I thought Mr Highgreen's original post made it clear (although not stated) that he was looking forward to a Cardinal excursion, not just 'get me there'. This board is after all railroad.net, not airline.net. If Mr HG wanted to fly he would not have posted here.
As far as the middle of the night arrival, Mr HG's family can easily know when #51 will arrive through Amtrak or Transitdocs and be on the platform awaiting that arrival. (Unfortunately Amtrak's published 11:52 pm arrival time at Maysville can only be taken as a rough guideline.)
 #1482037  by highgreen215

Thanks, guys, for all your thoughts and advice. You introduced a number of points that I had not considered, like the desireability, or lack of, of debarking in the wee hours at non-staffed stations while my ride to Cythiana may still be miles away. I'll take it from there, but it looks like the Cardinal will be my choice. Thanx again.
 #1482338  by R&DB

Gilbert B Norman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:11 pm

Mr. Highgreen, break out a Time Machine, set it back fifty yesrs, and you could take the L&N Flamingo straight from Cincinnati to Cynthiana:

https://www.american-rails.com/flamingo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The schedules for the Cardinal and Flamingo don't allow for a nice clean connection, but then tou do have a Time Machine to help with that. :-)
 #1482427  by highgreen215

Thanx Mr. Norman for the Flamingo link - guess I'm a few years too late for that convenient service. And my final leg driver was only 8 years old and in still in New Haven territory when the Flamingo vanished. Does any freight pass through Cynthiana these days? Maybe I could ride the rods.
 #1482491  by R&DB

Mr Highgreen asked:
Does any freight pass through Cynthiana these days?
CSX's CC Subdivsion runs through there from Cincy southward to at least Paris and is considered a 'Main Line' by OpenRailwayMap. I'm not familiar with their operations but some of the regulars on the CSX section of this forum might know.
As for 'riding the rods', not many of those left.
 #1487201  by Jeff Wagoner

The CC Sub is pretty quiet these days. Q541/Q542 are the only regular freights. There are a few locals, (one is C703) mostly towards Corbin I believe. There is a rock train that leaves the CC at Sinks and runs up the old Lebanon Branch to Mount Vernon. Coal is nearly dead, and as such, can be hit or miss. You might see no coal trains at all on one day, and then three the next. There is still the occasional K train as well.
 #1537099  by Gilbert B Norman

Rail unrelated, but it looks like Cynthiana has made the pages of The New York Times with regards to Covid 19:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/k ... virus.html

Fair Use:
.CYNTHIANA, Ky. — Closing in on a week after the coronavirus had descended on his small, rural community, James D. Smith sat behind a microphone in the WCYN studio on Main Street for his regular morning show, “Coffee Break Extra.” On his head, he wore a dark blue cap that said “mayor,” and in his eyes, the stress of the past several days.

“Everyone knows what’s going on,” the lifelong Cynthiana resident in his sixth year as mayor told listeners. “We’re keeping our hope up. We’re keeping our faith up. We’re keeping our chin up.”
The article has a photo including CSX trackage.
 #1537215  by hi55us

Myself as well as many other on here would definitely fly, check out the brand new terminal Delta has in Boston and fly nonstop to CVG.

If you want to stick with trains and want the best option, what I would do is not consider any of the above two options. I would take a daytime train from Boston to Roanoke, VA, train 171 leaves at 8:15am, gets into Roanoke at 9:55pm. Right down the street from Roanoke you have the Hotel Roanoke. Sleep for a night in a real bed. Then make the 6 hour drive the next day through the beautiful Appalachian Mountains with a one way car rental.

Your family wouldn't have to pick you up at 1am after The Cardinal is 2+ hours late (which does happen) and you'll get in at a reasonable time the next day for around the same travel time.