Railroad Forums 

• Anderson possible changes: Dismantling LD, Corridor, Etc.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1466756  by Gilbert B Norman

Without being found guilty for dragging this discussion off topic, or at least too far, presumably the peril noted by Mr. MACTRAXX is covered by the insurance AAPRCO sells to their members. However, Messrs. Levin and Pins dare say do not have pockets described as "shallow".

Amtrak of course with its $300M pockets, with $20M out of their very own, has decided the potential liability arising from the ostensibly profitable but ancillary service handling Private Cars could "make for a bad day". It will be interesting to learn how the IG sees it. Should Mr. Anderson kill it, it will be from the bureaucratic philosophy of "play it safe". After all, Delta is not in the business of offering "nostalgia flights" aboard DC-3's (anyone wonder why the Confederate Air Force does not exactly give away flights on their B-29's?).

That same reasoning could well apply to whacking the Parlours - a move that has cost Mr. Anderson a grade or two around here.
 #1466849  by BandA

You also have to throw into the mix uncertainty of federal funding. How do you run a money-losing railroad when the budget subsidy isn't approved until six months into the fiscal year? You try to cut expenses & hope.
 #1466852  by BandA

Anderson should be judged on the accidents that have occurred under his watch and how they are handled and what adjustments are made. Six months are not long enough to be fully responsible for training & procedures though.
 #1466859  by Backshophoss

Believe AAPCO will remind the "Hardy Party" types to to at least "tone it down" and not let "guests" leave the car "3 sheets to the wind" drunk
to wander into the rest of the train there on or in certain yard locations.
 #1467090  by David Benton

Your all assuming this was Anderson's initiative. I would think it was more likely to have come from the legal dept after the congressmen ( its a wonder they haven't come up with a gender neutral term) crash.
 #1467097  by mtuandrew

David Benton wrote:Your all assuming this was Anderson's initiative. I would think it was more likely to have come from the legal dept after the congressmen ( its a wonder they haven't come up with a gender neutral term) crash.
They did, it’s Representative :P

Amtrak has a raw deal when it comes to liability, assuming payment comes directly out of its own budget. A legislative solution would be increased Amtrak OIG funding plus a liability cap, anything above which to be paid directly by the Federal Railroad Administration.
 #1467402  by Tadman

Per my remarks on another thread, this might be the smartest thing he's done.

The no-specials policy is likely designed to emphasize a cultural focus on core operations: maintenance, consistency, and timeliness. These are things that are really hit-or-miss at the railroad right now.
 #1467416  by Rockingham Racer

Suburban Station wrote:Prices on the NEC seem to have been lowered for advance purchase travel. Not an across the board decrease but the lowest farebucket is lower
Just like on the airlines.
 #1467582  by Suburban Station

Rockingham Racer wrote:
Suburban Station wrote:Prices on the NEC seem to have been lowered for advance purchase travel. Not an across the board decrease but the lowest farebucket is lower
Just like on the airlines.
Yes, Amtrak has been doing this for a while, perhaps just less aggressively. There are lots of things I don't like about airlines but filling seats is important in just not convinced kicking families off is a good idea for corridor services
 #1469899  by blockline4180

I'm very surprised this was not posted here as a new topic.
AMTRAK CEO: PHASING OUT LONG DISTANCE TRAINS IN FAVOR OF “CORRIDORS”.
Report – Richard Anderson, Amtrak CEO – Remarks to California Rail Summit and Questions and Answers
http://railpac.org/
 #1469911  by jbvb

Entirely consistent with what much of the GOP (Issa, Walker, Ryan etc.) have stated as goals for decades. I will miss them, particularly lines I haven't ridden like Spokane - Seattle, the City of New Orleans and most of the current Cardinal route.

Unless something changes this Nov. 6.