Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak GOP Charter Train hits garbage/dumpster truck in VA

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1459334  by adamj023

Heard on the news about an Amtrak train hitting a tractor trailer truck in Virginia. The difference here is that key congressional officials were apparently coming back from President Trump’s State of the Union speech which I watched last night who were onboard.

Anyone have any more details as to what happened?

ADMIN: Retitled for indexing
 #1459336  by John_Perkowski

Admin Note:

We will try to get news updates posted as we see them.

Here is a breaking news article from The Hill
 #1459337  by NJRAILNUT

Amtrak rep. released statement confirming no injuries to anyone on board train, however CNN reports one fatality on the ground (presumably somebody on truck).

They showed a pic of the leading engine, looks like a nasty collision (it was a heritage unit leading FYI, #145. There was also a trailing unit #4)
 #1459338  by glennk419

This train was a charter carrying members of US Congress to a retreat at the Greenbrier in WV. Impact was with a garbage truck. Lead unit is P42 Phase 3 Heritage unit# 145, trailing unit P42# 4. Lead unit derailed, rest of train remained on track. Train will be pulled back to Charlottesville for deboarding. Very minor injuries on train, one reported fatality on the truck.
 #1459341  by STrRedWolf

Nearest source: http://www.newsplex.com/content/news/Tr ... 64503.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
According to police, the crash occurred near Marymart Farm Road and Lanetown Road, west of Crozet.

The train was a specially chartered Amtrak train that left Union Station around 8:30 a.m. and hit a garbage truck around 11:20 a.m. just west of Crozet.
 #1459353  by Matt Johnson

Sounds like bumps and bruises at worst for those on the train, thankfully. The truck driver however didn't make it. I can't tell for sure if there are gates at the crossing based on the footage I saw but there are certainly lights and bells. Heritage unit 145 was leading the train and will undoubtedly be joining Heritage unit #66 at Beech Grove.
 #1459356  by Hux

The driver made it. Unfortunately, one of the trash men didn't as he and a co-worker were flung from the rear of the truck. In video on MSNBC the crossing gate was down.
 #1459357  by Cameron Wolk

Some online sources (social media) are saying the truck was literally parked on the tracks, I hope this wasn't an intentional act. Looking at the crossing itself I'm not too sure how the driver could not have seen or heard the train coming. I assume he also had no situational awareness like all recent incidents.
 #1459360  by jhdeasy

This accident will probably have an adverse effect on trains 50(30) and 51(31) which are scheduled to pass thru Crozet VA this afternoon. This is the Buckingham Branch RR.
 #1459362  by DanK

Not to make light or fun of the situation, but stupid is as stupid does.