Railroad Forums 

• Siemens Venture Single Level Cars for CA/IL/Midwest

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1547713  by lirrelectrician

From what I have heard the Siemens cars are going to replace everything on the San Joaquin trains and the bi levels will go to the other CA services.
I do have a question, sine Wisconsin North Carolina and Washington have gotten federal grants for new cars , are these to be ad on orders to the existing order or a whole new procurement process. Thanks in advance.

Mike Scholz
 #1547714  by Anthony

lirrelectrician wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:06 pm From what I have heard the Siemens cars are going to replace everything on the San Joaquin trains and the bi levels will go to the other CA services.
I do have a question, sine Wisconsin North Carolina and Washington have gotten federal grants for new cars , are these to be ad on orders to the existing order or a whole new procurement process. Thanks in advance.

Mike Scholz
That's good to hear. I'm not sure about the other states' orders, but I'm assuming its an add-on order. If the replaced bi-level railcars in California go to the Pacific Surfliner, they can move the one Horizon trainset on that route to potential new corridors elsewhere in the country, joining the displaced Horizons from the Midwest, as well as move the Superliners currently on the Pacific Surfliner back the to LD trains, adding capacity to those trains.
 #1547718  by eolesen

Anthony wrote:How much of the current rolling stock on the San Joaquin will the Caltrans part of the order replace? Will there be enough new rolling stock in the IDOT part of the order for the proposed Quad Cities and Rockford corridors as well as the existing Midwest corridors?
Cars for Rockford/Quad Cities are apparently part of the IDOT order. Probably the only part of that empty promise from Pat Quinn that will be delivered....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1547763  by Pensyfan19

Convenient update time! :P

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... nstruction
Fifty-one Siemens cars in the order for Amtrak state-supported service in California and the Midwest have either been completed or are under construction, according to the end-of-June report by the Next Generation Equipment Committee, which includes representatives of Amtrak, the Federal Railroad Administration, host freight railroads, manufacturers, and state and other operators. Cars for the Illinois Department of Transportation portion of that order are scheduled to begin shipments near the end of July. A total of 137 cars are on order, replacing the original order for 130 bilevel cars by Nippon Sharyo, which withdrew from the process when it was unable to produce cars meeting required safety specifications [see “Expensive questions surface with changed passenger car order,” Trains News Wire, Nov. 9, 2017]. The report also indicates the first Siemens Charger long-distance locomotive for Amtrak remains on pace for delivery in February or March 2021
 #1547783  by Anthony

eolesen wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:13 pm
Anthony wrote:How much of the current rolling stock on the San Joaquin will the Caltrans part of the order replace? Will there be enough new rolling stock in the IDOT part of the order for the proposed Quad Cities and Rockford corridors as well as the existing Midwest corridors?
Cars for Rockford/Quad Cities are apparently part of the IDOT order. Probably the only part of that empty promise from Pat Quinn that will be delivered....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FYI, Illinois Governor JB Pritzker revived both route proposals by funding them in the latest capital bill from 2019, though the Quad Cities route is further along than the Rockford route, as it was on hold for less time than the latter. In the bill, the Quad Cities route got $225 million in funding, while the Rockford route got $275 million.
 #1548654  by ST Saint

Some footage popped up of a San Joaquins set (filmed vertically). The whole set seems to be missing side skirts, which I assume will be added later? I don't have any other context for the video, but a glimpse into the future.

I wonder if anything will be done about the livery mismatch since they went with a different scheme since chargers inherited the version from the initial renders. I have to imagine the IDOT trainsets will match the chargers, but we'll see shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoA5nXyEQ6s
 #1548848  by Tadman

Interesting some have two doors, some have one that appears blocked off? And it looks like the doors are using the British system of contrast paint on the doors for _____-impaired people to find easier.
 #1548890  by bostontrainguy

dgvrengineer wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:07 pm It seems to me I read somewhere that each class of service has a different color door. Can someone verify this? I don't remember where I saw it.
Since all of these have the same yellow color door, I think you are thinking about the new Acela II which has one red door to indicate the first class car.
 #1549051  by flexliner

from what i can see the first car where the door is open seems like it is high level
the other doors that are closed seem to be long doors (low level)
wonder why one car has doors both vestibules and the others do not.,....
 #1549141  by Matt Johnson

Greg Moore wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:17 pm I can't recall, were any ordered as cab cars? If so my guess is every 2nd car only has one vestibule because the other has the cab.
There are cab cars on order but they don't look like NJ Transit Comet cabs or whatever...they have streamlined, crash protection designed cabs.
 #1549219  by Pensyfan19

Someone just caught this. I must say, they look interesting in real life.
Attachments:
Screenshot_2020-08-01-13-41-02-1.png
Screenshot_2020-08-01-13-41-02-1.png (688.39 KiB) Viewed 4166 times