Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Sunset East Reactivation Proposal (Including City of New Orleans Extension)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1423549  by markhb

electricron wrote:I"m not sure if it'll be better as a stand alone train. But there's one thing for sure, there were not that many people wanting a one seat ride from Texas or California to Florida, hopefully there will be more demand for a one seat ride from Chicago and the Midwest to Florida.
To me, it gets rid of the current necessity to ride northeast to Washington if you are trying to connect to Chicago to go west. My gut feeling is that having to go far out of the way to get where you're going (given the existence of competing offers that don't do that) is a strike against any mode of transportation, especially since rail doesn't offer the speed of air travel which mitigates the inconvenience of strange routings.
 #1423596  by electricron

I'm not that sure Orlando to Chicago is closer via New Orleans or via D.C. - but an extension of the CONO would be a one seat ride, while a two seat ride would be still available via D.C. A one seat ride should be more convenient for the Midwest to Florida passengers whether it is slower or faster.
 #1423614  by mtuandrew

I don't imagine there being many people riding Amtrak from south of Chicago to Florida at this point, so it'd be worth a try to see whether a City of Now Orlando would get many through riders. Also would likely mean a necessary return to full dining and lounge facilities.

Anyone suppose that such a long-distance train will also be paralleled by a regional Gulf Breeze?
 #1423648  by Jeff Smith

My preference would be two separate trains. I think it makes it easier for timekeeping. A delay early in a train's run has a domino effect. This way, the intermediate stations are a bit more reliable.
 #1427721  by Balerion

Yet another meeting took place yesterday.

http://www.newsherald.com/news/20170412 ... -panhandle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some quotes from the Southern Rail Commission and Amtrak:
The SRC received studies from Amtrak and host railroad CSX on infrastructure needs, and negotiations are ongoing regarding those needs and the cost required to meet them, Ross said.

The congressionally mandated Gulf Coast Working Group, which has been looking at the logistics of restarting that service, is also in the process of preparing a final report to present to the Federal Railroad Administration.

“This is what’s going on now: We will continue to negotiate with CSX about requirements necessary to have a fluid operation of both freight traffic and the passenger service, and we’re waiting on the final report,” Ross said. “Those two things are sort of running parallel right now.”

Once agreements are finalized between the states, CSX and Amtrak, the rail service could be up and running in as little as six to 12 months, according to Amtrak Director of Government Affairs Todd Stenniss.
 #1433904  by Gilbert B Norman

If there is any foundation to Bob Johnston's July TRAINS report, it's time to lay this puppy to rest.

PERIOD.

$100M for infrastructure just to be able to start losing $5M a year. Somebody up there on The Hill had best break out the Micascope; what if The President became aware; "all the little birdies go Tweet Tweet Tweet".

But on the flip side I must wonder how did Amtrak restore the North Coast Limited/Hiawatha during '72 along with the many other additions made during that era
without incurring those kind of capItaly costs?

Signed; "Perplexed"
 #1433915  by bdawe

Gilbert B Norman wrote:If there is any foundation to Bob Johnston's July TRAINS report, it's time to lay this puppy to rest.

PERIOD.

But on the flip side I must wonder how did Amtrak restore the North Coast Limited/Hiawatha during '72 along with the many other additions made during that era
without incurring those kind of capItaly costs?

Signed; "Perplexed"
With private services only a few years gone in Amtrak's first decade, wouldn't much of what was needed to operate passenger trains already have been in place and with more spare capacity to be borrowed?
 #1433920  by Gilbert B Norman

You do indeed raise a good point, Mr. Dawe.

Trains such as the Ltd/Hi and Harley's Comet, were as good as simply "annulled"; they were back on as good as when they went off. The "infrastructure" was in place. Roads such as BN still had a Passenger Dept, they had Conductors and Engineers qualified on passenger trains.
 #1434711  by gokeefe

I would be curious to know what had happened with all of the crossing timings on that route. If they were still set to provide the required warning time (still 20s back in the 70's?) for passenger speed then "there's your answer".

I have yet to read the Bob Johnston report but I have been aware for some time that the infrastructure bill for this particular route restoration came in much higher than expected.