Railroad Forums 

• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1470690  by Milepost 110

I saw a picture that surfaced sometime in January of 3 units getting scrapped in Bear. 952 is seen with its guts out and 949 is seen barely intact and lying on its side. In the background of those pictures was another unidentifiable AEM-7 likely meeting the same fate. 3 questions arose from these photos:

1) Why has it taken them this long to scrap the obsolete DC units? I would assume that while they were in storage Amtrak had to pay some sort of tax on them which eats up some funds.
2) Are there any more DC units surviving on property? (besides 915 and 945 in museums).
3) Have they started scrapping AC units? I do remember that 3 were cut up a couple of years ago.

There was also a photo of 2 AEM-7 cabs on the back of a flatbed truck traveling down the highway, I was surprised that they didn't chop those up on site.

Thanks for taking the time and reading all this, I know I just bombarded you all with so many questions. Please don't answer anything that might possibly get you in trouble/leak any information that is classified. I'm new to this site and I don't want to get anyone in trouble for any reason.
 #1470693  by amtrakhogger

Some AEM7's are banked owned or financed (most of the AC's), and that would preclude scrapping. Two AEM7AC's were sent to AAR test track (I don't know if the were donated or sold) and two more (supposedly)
AEM7AC's are going to Caltran for the PCS electrification.
 #1470835  by ApproachMedium

All of the DC units except for 915 and 945 are scrapped as of the end of Feb. All of the Amtrak owned AEM-7 ACs were scrapped, save the 901.

Two bank owned units sold to TTCI. Two bank owned units are in hold status currently pending sale. 15 remaining units are still on the property pending sale from the bank.

The DC units were not costing any money to amtrak other than storage space. It seems to be though they have had some kind of pressing move to get rid of the stuff taking up space at Bear. Everything is getting scrapped. All of the old cars, engines and the one remaining turbo trainset.
 #1470849  by Milepost 110

I do still have the pictures, however I can't figure out how to post them. They're saved on my computer so there isn't a link to them.

Sad for me to hear, but they aren't doing anyone any good by just sitting there. I'm not surprised the DC's were cut up, but its interesting that the Amtrak owned AC's are gone now too. Too bad they don't sell much of anything on eBay anymore. :(
 #1470855  by Matt Johnson

ApproachMedium wrote: The DC units were not costing any money to amtrak other than storage space. It seems to be though they have had some kind of pressing move to get rid of the stuff taking up space at Bear. Everything is getting scrapped. All of the old cars, engines and the one remaining turbo trainset.
Is there something needing space there? I'm guessing not the Acela fleet, since Avelia is still a few years away.
 #1470858  by ApproachMedium

They said for concrete tie cars. But they have room for that already. I would imagine it is for storing 20 acela trainsets as they are removed from service.
 #1470883  by ryanov

Milepost 110 wrote:I do still have the pictures, however I can't figure out how to post them. They're saved on my computer so there isn't a link to them.
Probably the easiest is sign up for an account on RailPictures: http://www.railpictures.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and upload them there and link to them.
 #1470891  by Milepost 110

I only saw the photos, I didn't physically take them so I don't have the rights to the images. As much as I'd want to post them, I can't. Below is a link to pictures taken in April 2016, when 916, 918, and 924 were scrapped. They were posted to instagram about a year after they were taken.

https://instagram.com/p/BTC_rZVlPY2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1472376  by bikentransit

How come none were/could be retained for work service on the NEC/Harrisburg line? Just curious why they couldn't use electrics to haul around cars of track laying equipment.
 #1472382  by ConstanceR46

I'd assume versatility and parts; the E-44s were retained for work for a bit and then put to scrap. A GP38H can rescue a passenger train, provide backup if a genesis craps out, and grab cars from the typical non-electric MOW yards, things an AEM-7 cannot do outside of the NEC
 #1472387  by ApproachMedium

When track work is done they take the wire out of service so they really provide zero help during work trains. All of the work train yards do not have wire either so you would be stuck.
 #1472413  by Tadman

The toasters were toast. They had quite a high failure rate toward the end. The last thing you want to do is have a work train crap out, delaying delivery of materials to a job site, have 100 guys standing around on the clock, and tying up the main for the revenue trains. The toasters more than earned their keep, they probably lasted 150% longer than they were supposed to. It's time to let them go and run work trains with geeps that have a good chance of making it down the road all day.
 #1472474  by R36 Combine Coach

Briefly around 2009-10, a few ALP44s leased/loaned from NJT as work motors, but that was it. They went back and remained stored since.
 #1472480  by Backshophoss

The E-44's were ment to handle the welded rail train in and out of Cedar Hill yard where Amtrak had a Welded rail facility during the rebuilding
of the NEC,and to move trains of Ballast,track materials between yards for staging,allowing the mixed bag of switchers,RS-3's and "junk" given to
Amtrak at the time the NEC takeover as work train equipment to stay close to some form of support from M of E forces.
The Orange work GP-18's arrived after the change of ownership of the NEC.