Railroad Forums 

• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#891793  by Oldsmoboi

Silverliner II wrote:
Oldsmoboi wrote:Anyone want me to report anything on the trip?
I am curious as to how the on-time performance over NS turns out to be between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh myself.....
I have the Amtrak schedule printed out and will note the times. I am only using Amtrak for the PIT - PHL part of the journey. Due to time restriction, I had to USAir it back.
 #891800  by Silverliner II

Oldsmoboi wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
Oldsmoboi wrote:Anyone want me to report anything on the trip?
I am curious as to how the on-time performance over NS turns out to be between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh myself.....
I have the Amtrak schedule printed out and will note the times. I am only using Amtrak for the PIT - PHL part of the journey. Due to time restriction, I had to USAir it back.
Thanks.
 #891801  by goodnightjohnwayne

Oldsmoboi wrote:A question about the Pennsylvanian:

I bought the upgrade to business for Friday the 28th to go to Philly. I bought it because I absolutely need a working power outlet to run my laptop the entire trip. (and because work is paying, so it's not my nickles). I carry my own Wifi with me and have two different networks, so internet access won't be a problem.This is my first trip on Amtrak in over 5 years, the last being a run on the Capitol to WAS.

This will be my first trip on this train, would there have been power outlets it normal coach? I intend to start using the train for trips to NYP and (connecting at NYP or 30th Street) to New Haven in the future, but I have to have power outlets for the duration.
Yes, there are outlets in every coach. I've never found one that didn't work.
 #893531  by Oldsmoboi

Jersey Jeff wrote:At Penn State, the University Park Undergraduate Association is investigating establishing shuttle bus service between Lewistown and State College.

Hasn't this been tried before and hasn't this been cancelled due to low bus ridership?
Without more Pennys running, it's bound to fail. One train each direction each day is insufficient to create critical mass.

I'd say it's hardly worth buying the buses.
 #893583  by Station Aficionado

Oldsmoboi wrote:
Jersey Jeff wrote:At Penn State, the University Park Undergraduate Association is investigating establishing shuttle bus service between Lewistown and State College.

Hasn't this been tried before and hasn't this been cancelled due to low bus ridership?
Without more Pennys running, it's bound to fail. One train each direction each day is insufficient to create critical mass.

Such a service would almost certainly entail contracting with an existing operator to provide service, not purchase of buses by the university or some other party. Also, what is the basis for saying that connecting bus service for "one-a-days" is bound to fail? Has that been the experience with connecting service for other "one-a-days"? It's not something we need to guess about--there should be for a considerable body of information on this somewhere, as such connections have existed for most (all?) of Amtrak's history.
 #893591  by Oldsmoboi

Station Aficionado wrote:
Oldsmoboi wrote:

Such a service would almost certainly entail contracting with an existing operator to provide service, not purchase of buses by the university or some other party. Also, what is the basis for saying that connecting bus service for "one-a-days" is bound to fail? Has that been the experience with connecting service for other "one-a-days"? It's not something we need to guess about--there should be for a considerable body of information on this somewhere, as such connections have existed for most (all?) of Amtrak's history.
We're talking about "One-a-days" to a college town...and nothing but a college town, population 38,000.

The one-a-days that go to Detroit or even Ann Arbor far exceed that.
 #893732  by Station Aficionado

Ann Arbor and Detroit have three trains a day in each direction, not one. My question remains, what has been the experience with ridership on connecting buses where there is only train per day--say on the Wenatchee-Omak Thruway connection to the Empire Builder?
 #893781  by Matt Johnson

I just caught these latest posts, having just returned from a trip out to State College to visit Penn State yesterday and today, and I was commenting earlier on how much less isolated State College would feel if it were accessible by rail! (Of course, what I'd like is if we didn't have a third world transportation system, and there was a 220 mph high speed train making a stop downtown like you'd find in most civilized countries these days!) Same goes for Blacksburg, VA and my undergrad alma mater, Virginia Tech! (I'd definitely have visited more in recent years if there were a train there.)

I'm heading down to Williamsburg for a visit to William & Mary, and I'll be traveling on Amtrak and renting a car down there. I'll likely take Amtrak when I head up to Boston too, so I do put my money where my mouth is when it comes to rail. I really do prefer a relaxing, civilized train ride over putting all that wear and tear on my car, dodging tire re-treads and other debris, having trucks throw up rocks into my windshield, etc.

I had a good drive yesterday and today, and I don't mean to imply that I hate driving, but this was a good example of the type of trip where rail could've been a viable option. Traveling alone, packing light...
 #893959  by Oldsmoboi

Station Aficionado wrote:Ann Arbor and Detroit have three trains a day in each direction, not one. My question remains, what has been the experience with ridership on connecting buses where there is only train per day--say on the Wenatchee-Omak Thruway connection to the Empire Builder?
I was referring to the throughway coach service that Amtrak offers from Toledo to Detroit to connect passengers to the Capitol.
 #894029  by Suburban Station

Oldsmoboi wrote: I was referring to the throughway coach service that Amtrak offers from Toledo to Detroit to connect passengers to the Capitol.
I'm not sure that's comparable given the time of day that connection runs. this would be a one a day connection to a day train. still, they should also consider a connection to harrisburg instead of lewistown. while you'd be forgoing the pittsburgh market riders would have more options. maybe they could start by contracting with rabbit, or whatever it's called that runs express service between york and harrisburg (M-F) to run a service on weekend only. does the first the first train from philly saturday morning get you there in time to catch a bus to state college for a game?
 #894235  by nickrapak

As a Penn State student currently at U. Park, I think that it is a good idea, but it needs to be scheduled and priced correctly. The thruway service would really only have a good amount if riders Fri-Sun, and of course finals week. The bus from the PSU bus terminal to PHL is $34.00. I think in order to be competitive, PHL-PSU via Lewistown would have to be $40 or less.
 #894566  by brettj22

I used to go to grad school at PSU and would take the Pennsylvanian from Lewistown back to NY. Fortunately the Lewistown station allowed long term parking and the volunteers would keep an eye on my car. When I taught undergrad classes, no one had any idea Amtrak was in the area! It would be great if a bus service to campus could be initiated directly from the train (the walk into Lewistown proper is a bit long). I would even make use of it when I go back to campus for business from time to time!
 #895162  by Oldsmoboi

Running about 10-15 minutes behind today. They needed to do a crew change in Johnstown heading EB.

Seem to be averaging about 60mph as we start towards the curve.

Station Arrive Depart Scheduled Departure
Pittsburgh 7:30am 7:20am
Greensburg 8:09am 8:14am 8:01am
Latrobe 8:23am 8:24am 8:11am
Johnstown 9:05am 9:10am 8:54am Crew Change
 #895230  by Oldsmoboi

Altoona 10:07am 10:11am 9:51am 20 minutes late
Tyrone 10:25am 10:27am 10:07am 20 minutes late
Huntington 10:50am 10:51am 10:34am 23 minutes late
Lewistown 11:27am 11:30am 11:11am 19 minutes late
Harrisburg 12:40pm 1:00pm 1:00pm On Time