Railroad Forums 

• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#877751  by twropr

On Sun. Nov. 28 the PENNSYLVANIAN in each direction had seven cars - don't believe it's been that big in years.

Andy
 #877756  by hi55us

strench707 wrote:If the Pennsylvanian and Palmetto share sets why don't they just keep the baggage car on for the Pennsylvanian's runs?
Maybe this is how they got the bag on the cardinal, which if you ask me is much more important.
 #880944  by jp1822

With the train operating with Amfleet II's - larger windows, good amount of legroom space etc., I really don't see the incentive anymore to book business class. At least when the Amfleet II's and Amfleet I coaches were on the Pennsylvanian, along with a 1/2 cafe and 1/2 business Amfleet coach, it sort of made it worth while as the 1/2 business class section had 2-1 seating, an upgraded interior, and less people in that section - let alone being right next to the cafe. But if a standard Amfleet I coach is now the business class car, might as well book passage in the Amfleet II coach if traveling west of Harrisburg - which is largely what this train and its Amfleet II coaches are for I presume. It's great that the train has a full business class car, but it needs additional amenities in the business class car if I were to ever book it (unless it was out of desparation). And I used to ride the Pennsylvanian at least once a quarter up until recently. I don't travel that much to Pittsburgh anymore, but when I did I always tried to get a seat in the 1/2 business and 1/2 cafe Amfleet coach as the 2-1 leather seating was much preferred and you had a more smaller party travelling in this section of the train.
 #880970  by R36 Combine Coach

The Amfleet I business class coaches are the 81500 series. The "enhanced" Business Class with 2-1 leather seating are the 48100 series cafe/clubs (many were former Metroliner cars). They tend to be on the Empire Service, Ethan Allen and Vermonter.
 #881224  by atsf sp

I took the pennsylvanian yesterday and the business class is back to the end of the train, or at least for yesterday.
 #881227  by BuddSilverliner269

skalow wrote:Does the Pennsylvanian ever get a helper at Altoona for the trip over the mountain ?
Thanks.
No. Why would it, it only has 6 cars and sometimes 7 cars. Surely a 4250hp locomotive can pull 7 cars over the middle division...
 #890227  by Oldsmoboi

Septa Fan wrote:FWIW, I rode the Pennsylvania in Business Class last week PHL to PGH, Every row had at least two passengers,but in only one instance did I see two people sitting next to each other. I had two seats to myself, great for working on the computer. The train crew, Harrisburg to Pittsburgh could not be better, professional and personable: They even announced the Horseshoe Curve on the PA ! The train was very crowded, all the more reason for the "upgrade" to business class if one needs or wants to workor just stretch out. Arrival in PGH was slghtly late,but the surprise there was the lack of personnel greeting the arrival. No redcap to help the elderly and disabled with the baggage and. surprisingly enough, no taxis at the station! Some 15 passsngers( myself included) had to wait almost 30 minutes for the sporadic cabs to arrive. Sadly. with only 4 trains/day PGH is not Penn Station NY or even 30th street and that is reflected in the station activity. Other than that, great trip, Railroading is certainly alive on the old PRR mailine.
As a tip for those getting off in PGH and looking for a taxi. There is a Westin hotel just across the street, walk over there and there are always half a dozen taxis waiting.
 #891030  by Oldsmoboi

A question about the Pennsylvanian:

I bought the upgrade to business for Friday the 28th to go to Philly. I bought it because I absolutely need a working power outlet to run my laptop the entire trip. (and because work is paying, so it's not my nickles). I carry my own Wifi with me and have two different networks, so internet access won't be a problem.This is my first trip on Amtrak in over 5 years, the last being a run on the Capitol to WAS.

This will be my first trip on this train, would there have been power outlets it normal coach? I intend to start using the train for trips to NYP and (connecting at NYP or 30th Street) to New Haven in the future, but I have to have power outlets for the duration.
 #891384  by hi55us

Oldsmoboi wrote:A question about the Pennsylvanian:

I bought the upgrade to business for Friday the 28th to go to Philly. I bought it because I absolutely need a working power outlet to run my laptop the entire trip. (and because work is paying, so it's not my nickles). I carry my own Wifi with me and have two different networks, so internet access won't be a problem.This is my first trip on Amtrak in over 5 years, the last being a run on the Capitol to WAS.

This will be my first trip on this train, would there have been power outlets it normal coach? I intend to start using the train for trips to NYP and (connecting at NYP or 30th Street) to New Haven in the future, but I have to have power outlets for the duration.
The Pennsylvanian as well as Northeast Regional trains all operate with single level amfleet equipment that all should have power outlets. Riding on the NEC over the last 4/5 years I can count on one hand the number of cars without power outlets. (as far as the capitol limited, which uses superliner cars, its a toss up, some of them do, some of them don't).

If you happend to end up in a car without power outlets I would bring it up with the conductor and ask for your seat to be moved to one with a power outlet.

In all honesty, now that the Pennsylvanian uses a full size business class car, I would not upgrade to business class. When the pennsylvanian used 2-1 leather seats that where in the cafe, it was well worth the upgrade.
 #891402  by Silverliner II

Oldsmoboi wrote:Thanks for the tip. Can I stroll back to the other car to peek?
Sure, after departure, you can walk back through the cafe car, and the rest of the train (except for one other coach) would be the Amfleet II coaches normally used for the trip. They also are equipped with power outlets at each seat.
 #891785  by Silverliner II

Oldsmoboi wrote:Anyone want me to report anything on the trip?
I am curious as to how the on-time performance over NS turns out to be between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh myself.....