Railroad Forums 

• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#994406  by Jishnu

train2 wrote:So the short answer is this is not going to happen anytime soon? Yet the schedule has been changed now.

T2
Soon is a relative term. It could happen as early as late 2012 or sometime after that. There have been recent reports from folks in Pittsburgh that there has been some activity in the area where the new crossover is supposed to go in.

And as I said the cause of the change of timing was just idle speculation on my part, and should be treated just as such.
 #994472  by jp1822

Suburban Station wrote:fwiw when they moved the 44 they simply swapped it with a keystone train. I don't know that Amtrak cares if it's rush hour or not so long as it's in a keystone slot
If I recall correctly, #44 was the last train of the day eastbound from Pittsburgh to Philly and NYC. So this timing was an important slot to fill. When the westboundmoved off of the 7:30 a.m slot, Amtrak filled that with a Keystone train as well.
 #994728  by David Benton

i quess they could borrow a sleeper from the LSL ,on the grounds that some patronage would move from it to the pittsburgh train .
but it seems that there are enough viewliners to have a spare 3 now , if it wernt for the 24 hour black hole at Sunnyside .
 #995046  by jp1822

David Benton wrote:i quess they could borrow a sleeper from the LSL ,on the grounds that some patronage would move from it to the pittsburgh train .
but it seems that there are enough viewliners to have a spare 3 now , if it wernt for the 24 hour black hole at Sunnyside .
Plain and simple - Sunnyside needs to get rid of the "black hole."

Amtrak is stretching what revenue Viewliners it keeps in operation very thinly. At least three more Viewliners should be released into revenue service in my opiion. Having 11 in reserve is just too many.

As I mentioned, even if some schedules of single level overnight Viewliner sleeper trains were adjusted - ever so slightly - Amtrak could get a "same day turn" out of some trainsets that come into Sunnyside. This would free-up extra Viewliner sleepers ONCE AGAIN. And frankly, this should be their goal with these high revenue priced cars. This was in place at one time.

I even remember when not only the Silver Meteor did a same day turn with one of its trainsets, but also the Lake Shore Limited when it had a later departure time westbound with Heritage sleepers!

Also, for Amtrak to keep 11 Viewliners in reserve, you'd think the fleet would be better maintained. If my recent "eastern long distance overnight trips" were any indication of the Viewliner fleet, Amtrak has NOT been doing a good job at what appears to be basic maintenance or "wear and tear." Having 11 Viewliners in reserve should be MORE than enough Viewliners for Amtrak to cycle through the shops in Hialeah, FL (near Miami).

I look forward to the "pilot" program that Amtrak is going to try on the Crescent - that is assigning ONE attendant to two Viewliner sleepers (re-arranging how the cars are positioned as well). With crew now occupying the revenue based VIewliner sleepers, I think this pilot is long overdue. Just try it out and see if it works!

One would think that Amtrak could "release" an additional 3 Viewliners to cover "through train operation" of the Pennsylvanian and Capitol Limited. Or for that matter, just two Viewliners to cover for an extra sleeper on the Cardinal route or overnight sleeping service on the NEC. It's been done folks! And this would still leave 8 Viewliners in reserve. I haven't heard of Hialeah working on more than three Viewliner sleepers at one time in a while. Course, they ought to with some of the rooms I had on a recent trip!
 #1057156  by ThirdRail7

Septa Fan wrote:Does AMTRAK employ, or need to employ, helper locomotives on the Pennsylvanian between Altoona through Gallitzin ?
No. It is only a 6 car train. The P42s can handle it.
 #1057477  by CSX Conductor

boatsmate wrote:what is the limit that teh P42's can pull?? I think the F40's where linited to 7 or 8 before a second engine needed to added.
I once had a P42 towing a dead P42, a dead AEM-7, an 7 cars on 66.

As for the F40's, I believe the normal practice on the NEC between BOS & NHV was 8 cars or more had 2 F40s.
 #1057514  by ThirdRail7

boatsmate wrote:what is the limit that teh P42's can pull?? I think the F40's where linited to 7 or 8 before a second engine needed to added.

It depends on what is occurring. I remember F40s handling trains longer than 8 cars. It most likely depends on the territory and how much time they would lose.The Auto Pain operate for long distances with 1 P40 after the other one went to sleep. The train moved, but obviously couldn't maintain track speed. 48(24) operated with a P32 and 11 cars between ALB-NYP and didn't lose a minute of time. Hell, a DC AEM-7 pull 16 cars with a dead in tow DC in the middle. It made it slowly but surely.