Railroad Forums 

• Northeast Regional 188 - Accident In Philadelphia

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1443863  by Gilbert B Norman

Unlikely, but might anyone know what Mr. Bostian's present status is with Amtrak?

Resigned; Held From Service; appealing discipline assessed?

Likely the only thing known is if he resigned. Know so first hand from when I was in Labor Relations: employee discipline matters are sealed.
 #1443991  by mmi16

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Unlikely, but might anyone know what Mr. Bostian's present status is with Amtrak?

Resigned; Held From Service; appealing discipline assessed?

Likely the only thing known is if he resigned. Know so first hand from when I was in Labor Relations: employee discipline matters are sealed.
I would suspect, due to contractual obligations in the Amtrak Engineers agreement, that company disciplinary hearing has already been conducted. There are time limits on when charges have to be filed and the hearing held as well as imposition of discipline after the hearing. The company has no obligation to make any of this process public.
 #1444470  by Tadman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:"Blood from a turnip", Mr. Backshop.

The only job he will ever get is flipping 'em at MickeyD.
I agree with the first comment - what can you get from a guy that's lost everything? It's not like he has $10m in microsoft stock that can be sold to cover any civil suits.

As for future employment, I think the McD comment is a bit over the top. There are plenty of good jobs for people willing to work hard. It won't be in transportation, but you could sell cars, be a skilled tradesman (IE welder, boilermaker, ironworker), other construction-related work, go into web design (if you have a mind for it, there is always money to be made there). Let's put some good vibes toward this guy have a second act that might enrich the lives of others, because dwelling on his past won't bring people back.
 #1444534  by STrRedWolf

It's a reasonable assumption that he will not be an engineer. But will he be in a position that is "safety sensitive" in Amtrak? Well... depends on what is classified as safety sensitive. If I go by MTA Maryland's definition, that's any mechanic or operator/engineer.

Station staff is probably the best so far, and conductor is a biiiig stretch.
 #1444556  by mtuandrew

justalurker66 wrote:His second act does not need to be on the same stage.
Well put. I hope Mr. Bostian lands on his feet, but also that he remains a quiet advocate for efficient and safe rail passenger travel. He most likely won't be with Amtrak or a railroad after this, but ought to have some training that could set him up in heavy industry if he chooses.
 #1444558  by Backshophoss

"Safety Sensitive" would include AC and Conductor positions along with engine service.
That would include any kind of "Block operator",lever man(tower operator),and Dispatching position.
If he has a medical problem,that would also DSQ him from any kind of CDL license position,in Trucking or Bus driving (down to school buses).
 #1454085  by R36 Combine Coach

UPDATE:
Prosecutors seek to reinstate charges in 2015 Amtrak wreck

Associated Press Dec 20, 2017 12:11 AM EST
Prosecutors are set to argue that criminal charges should be reinstated against the engineer in a deadly 2015 Amtrak derailment in Philadelphia. Pennsylvania's attorney general on Wednesday is appealing a judge's decision to dismiss the case against Brandon Bostian.

Philadelphia's district attorney previously declined to pursue a case against the 34-year-old engineer. A separate lawsuit brought by a victim's family was thrown out by a judge in September who said evidence suggested the derailment was accidental.
 #1460351  by n2cbo

STrRedWolf wrote:Just saw on the MD news about the engineer in this accident going through another hearing to defend against charges of manslaughter being reinstated. That hearing is today.

AP news blurb about it
Something tells me that he is going to be "RAILROADED" (no pun intended)
 #1460352  by MCL1981

Pennsylvania law defines involuntary manslaughter as:
A person is guilty of involuntary manslaughter when as a direct result
of the doing of an unlawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, or
the doing of a lawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, he
causes the death of another person
Acting recklessly would require intent, which obviously is not the case, so that's out. Acting grossly negligent will probably be a very hard sell. It also requires some kind of intent to ignore the dangers. Which again obviously is not the case here. Gross negligence is a very specific term in the eyes of the law. So is recklessness. And neither of them apply here. This looks more like political and career grandstanding than a legitimate prosecution.
 #1460366  by n2cbo

MCL1981 wrote:Pennsylvania law defines involuntary manslaughter as:
A person is guilty of involuntary manslaughter when as a direct result
of the doing of an unlawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, or
the doing of a lawful act in a reckless or grossly negligent manner, he
causes the death of another person
Acting recklessly would require intent, which obviously is not the case, so that's out. Acting grossly negligent will probably be a very hard sell. It also requires some kind of intent to ignore the dangers. Which again obviously is not the case here. Gross negligence is a very specific term in the eyes of the law. So is recklessness. And neither of them apply here. This looks more like political and career grandstanding than a legitimate prosecution.

My guess is that eventually, he will be exonerated, however with all of the legal costs, he will probably be financially ruined. Not to mention all the stress that will affect his health.