Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1450236  by Jehochman

Hartford’s relatively new high level platform has a retractable edge for allowing freight trains through. I just road the Vermonter last week. The platform really speeds the unloading and loading. No more schlepping bags up steps.
 #1450296  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Hartford only has the retractable edge because the station's on a slight curve and there's enough potential for harmonic rocking on the consist from freight cars still rounding the curve to make the cars immediately passing the platform scrape it up. But that's just a temporary hack because they've now settled on moving the station up the street into a new rail cut when I-84 gets relocated, and will have a proper Providence-style freight passing track at the new platforms.
 #1450373  by CVRA7

Regarding rocking freight cars through the Hartford station - many years ago when I worked there I remember several occasions when the canopy edge was "trimmed" from what is now the single main track - this taking place mainly at the south (capital) end of the station.
New Station - I sure hope there will be 4 tracks plus the freight track through the new station for all the additional passenger trains planned.
Gauntlet tracks - The new gauntlet track at Berlin looked completed as of last week's visit.
 #1450390  by shadyjay

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Hartford only has the retractable edge because the station's on a slight curve and there's enough potential for harmonic rocking on the consist from freight cars still rounding the curve to make the cars immediately passing the platform scrape it up. But that's just a temporary hack because they've now settled on moving the station up the street into a new rail cut when I-84 gets relocated, and will have a proper Providence-style freight passing track at the new platforms.
So who retracts the edge for an incoming freight? Station personnel? The freight crew itself? Do they get out and hit a button or just radio to the station agent to go out there and drop the edge?

And do all freights need it retracted? When the platforms at OSB were built "early in the 21st century", a gauntlet track was put in for the freights. But for at least 5-10 years, I don't think it's ever been used. What makes the decision to use the gauntlet vs the regular iron through a station with full highs?
 #1450401  by CVRA7

Regarding the platform edge at Hartford, the Operating dept would contact the Bridge & Building dept to move the platform edge prior to any over-dimension freight move. The station staff - the few that remain - doesn't touch it. (this is the way it was through Jan. 2017 when I was still working there)
 #1450435  by F-line to Dudley via Park

shadyjay wrote:So who retracts the edge for an incoming freight? Station personnel? The freight crew itself? Do they get out and hit a button or just radio to the station agent to go out there and drop the edge?

And do all freights need it retracted? When the platforms at OSB were built "early in the 21st century", a gauntlet track was put in for the freights. But for at least 5-10 years, I don't think it's ever been used. What makes the decision to use the gauntlet vs the regular iron through a station with full highs?
Just for Plate F cars. Those are the only ones that won't clear a full-high that has so much as 1 degree of curvature in it because the cars are longer than Plates B-D freight cars and can be up to 17' tall, which both require allowances for more lateral movement on the axles. In cases like Hartford where there's a curve right up to the foot of the platform, but the full-high itself is tangent...there's still a harmonic rocking strike risk on the cars passing the tangent platform from the lateral movement of the freight cars 1 or 2 cars behind still rounding the curve. In all other cases where it's tangent track passing tangent platform it's reasonably safe to pass...but the freight train will get hit with a speed restriction to minimize its lateral movement. Hence, the gauntlets and passers being installed elsewhere as a traffic management measure...and the full passer that will be installed at the relocated Hartford station up the block in the I-84 trench.

The Springfield Line, now that it's getting its first-ever full-highs, is an analogue to the NEC in Rhode Island between Central Falls and Davisville after its retrofit for the FRIP track and the RIDOT infill stops. P&W autoracks currently pass restricted-speed through the single T.F. Green full-high platform as a temporary measure, but when full-build RIDOT commuter rail comes that stop will get a gauntlet installed and all of the other infills north of the Quonset turnout in Davisville will be done up with full passers so all traffic can go at full speed without getting entangled.
 #1450452  by Jeff Smith

jonnhrr wrote:In former NH territory Track 1 is westbound and track 2 is eastbound.
This is a north/south line; which track is on the western edge, and which on the eastern? Thanks.
 #1450454  by shadyjay

In 2-track sections... track 1 is the westernmost track and the track that's been in tact throughout the Springfield Line. Track 2 is the easternmost track and the one that has been relaid as part of this project.

In the early 1990s, Amtrak single-tracked the Springfield Line, removing Track 2 in most spots, but retaining it for various passing sidings, including through Meriden, in the Newington area, and in northern Windsor. Also, across the CT River Bridge in Windsor Locks, the Track 2 alignment was selected as the one operational track.

Now there are two tracks along most of the route between New Haven and just south of Windsor Locks, the only exception is through Hartford station where just Track 1 remains. Track 2 would've abutted right up against the Union Station building.
 #1451457  by Gilbert B Norman

Ridgefielder wrote:Just FYI- in general, on the ex-New Haven, "Westbound" = toward NY; "Eastbound" = toward Boston:
Mr. Ridgefield, in New Havenese , it was Esstward/Westward in both ETT and signage. Not sure what term is used in either Amtrak or MN ETT's