Railroad Forums 

• Wisconsin Talgos Disposition - MI and now Pacific Surfliner

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1459757  by D.Carleton

mtuandrew wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:After a little investigation:

Amtrak plans to lease two articulated
Series 8 trainsets from Tren Articulado
Ligero Goicoechea Oriol (Talgo) to
support its Cascade intercity service.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2018-0 ... -01959.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any word on whether Amtrak is leasing them on its own dime, or getting funding from WA and OR?

(Or is BC funding them and planning to plaster the red & white paint job with maple leaves?) :wink:
Or is Amtrak on the hook after partially derailing one set and wrecking another?
 #1484200  by Tadman

I have a bad feeling these will never see use on US rails. Although I'm not a huge fan, I do enjoy the speed they allow in the PNW over curvy territory.

Worth noting, the Argentines have sent their older Talgos in for upgrade/rehab despite having a raft of brand new Chinese cars. They are really spending money on passenger trains down there, rumor has it the 1948 ex-Chessie streamliner cars (by Budd) are in Escalada shops for rehab as well.
 #1514382  by bostontrainguy

It has been reported that the two former Wisconsin Talgo trains are in Amtrak’s Chicago 16th Street yard. Talgo did offer to replace the Series 6 sets so that must be the plan. They might be heading to Talgo in Milwaukee for some modifications on the way.
 #1526973  by bostontrainguy

Once again the Talgos are on the move and this time it seems for real. First out to Mailwaukee for reconfiguring and other adjustments and then over to the Cascades. Finally the saga might be over.
 #1527080  by JimBoylan

A while ago, Amtrak had offered to take responsibility for replacing the damaged Talgo train and locomotive from the derailment near DuPont, Washington on December 18, 2017.
 #1527105  by Jeff Smith

https://www.wpr.org/derailed/years-afte ... s-sit-idle

Somewhat dated:
In Beech Grove, Indiana, two massive brick warehouses have been a part of the landscape for more than a century.

One of the buildings has a concrete sign that reads 1907. The other reads 1910. Both belong to Amtrak, which maintains its fleet here.

Most of the trains that come into this facility don't stay long. The big silver cars Amtrak is known for make a stop here, get repaired and return to service.

But in the front of the rail yard, there are two trains that never move.
... but a good history.
 #1527502  by John_Perkowski

Will their move to the factory be prepared for service after years on the dead line, or is this a run to Super Steel?

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ee-factory
 #1527510  by Tadman

I thought that factory was long closed. I'm curious what all the work entails. I suspect a business class will be added. They may repaint them, although that's very expensive for a basically new train. Trains mag once said it costs $25k to paint a new KCS widecab, can you imagine what it costs to paint an entire Talgo?
 #1527642  by frequentflyer

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ee-factory

From Trains-

Until more specifics are revealed, Amtrak’s Friday statement reflects the following:

— Amtrak is on the hook for supplying a replacement for the Talgo Series VI trainset damaged in the Dec. 18, 2017, Cascades wreck at DuPont, Wash., and perhaps at least one of the other two Washington DOT-owned Talgo VI’s. Amtrak also owns two.

— Contract details between Talgo and Amtrak have yet to be worked out. A sticking point is likely the “interim” aspect.

— The replacements could use a new paint job and will require modifications that add business class seating and a different bistro car setup than their as-ordered configuration. Wisconsin ordered the equipment for enhanced Chicago-Milwaukee-Madison Hiawatha service before Republican Gov. Scott Walker turned back $800 million of federal stimulus money for the route after he was elected in 2010.

— If Amtrak reaches a lease or purchase agreement with Talgo, the ex-Wisconsin Talgo 8’s can operate under a waiver issued in 2018 by the Federal Railroad Administration.

— Washington DOT spokeswoman Janet Matkin tells Trains News Wire, “Amtrak is responsible for supplying appropriate interim equipment to replace Talgo Series VI trainsets currently in service for the Amtrak Cascades system,” but the Federal Railroad Administration is not requiring replacement. She recently told the Seattle Times that her agency wants all Talgo VI trainsets removed from service “as soon as possible” based on a National Transportation Board recommendation. The manufacturer has formally disputed that recommendation [see “Talgo challenges NTSB finding in Cascades accident report,” Trains News Wire, Nov. 1, 2019]. The ongoing conflict between the state and Talgo with Amtrak in the middle has delayed the use of the Series 8s and complicated negotiations.

— Oregon intends to keep in service the two Series 8 trainsets it purchased in 2013, despite Washington’s animosity toward the manufacturer (WashDOT recently shortened Talgo’s renewable maintenance contract). A permanent addition of more compatible equipment would help protect Oregon’s investment. Though three shorter trainsets can be created from the red-and-white orphans, it is more likely that they will be configured into two trainsets with an additional spare cab car, baggage, and bistro available to substitute as necessary.

Trains News Wire will continue to seek more details as they become available.
 #1527768  by eolesen

John_Perkowski wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:11 am Will their move to the factory be prepared for service after years on the dead line, or is this a run to Super Steel?
Talgo still has some operations in MKE rehabbing cars built for the LA Metrolink.

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2019/05/14/e ... -contract/

My guess is they'll slot these in between that work to do i.e. PTC installs and cabin upgrades.