Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1226526  by ExCon90

dt_rt40 wrote:Thanks for the trip report...hope to see some video from inside the train.
Can someone clarify: did the prior recent versions of Port Road excursions - weren't there 2 that originated in Philly sponsored by CHRS and 1 from DC by that chapter, in the summer - all re-join the main line after Harrisburg? Sounds like this was even a unique experience beyond what they had offered. Makes me sick I couldn't get tickets, but hopefully Amtrak will see they have a winner on their hands and offer it again next year. (edit: yes indeed if you saw my prior posting, I was on the first one in 2008...or was it 09? But by the time we were in Harrisburg I was so irritated by the experience I can hardly remember it. I think we just returned along the Harrisburg-Philadelphia mainline.)
I particularly love this picture of the train, even though it isn't on the rare mileage: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 013&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Looks like people got their money's worth when It came to the fall foliage. Also found this sarky blog posting: http://rubincatlarge.blogspot.com/2013/ ... press.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think that's true: afaik the previous trips operated via Amtrak all the way from Harrisburg. The route via the Royalton Branch and the Columbia Branch was mentioned in the earliest announcements of the trip, and I remember wondering at the time whether they really meant that -- they did.
 #1226527  by ExCon90

Patrick Boylan wrote:On the Hudson line or Empire Connection you get to gorgeous scenery within less than 10 minutes of leaving Penn Station New York, and it gets better and better pretty much nonstop to at least Albany. It is however not rare trackage, there are more than 5 Amtrak trains a day, and throngs of Metro North trains, so Amtrak might have problems marketing special trains.
Even at that it might be worth trying. There are people who will sign up for an excursion (especially a fall-foliage excursion) who would not ordinarily think "hey, it's a nice day, let's go to Albany and back" on a regular train. They'd probably also pay a premium fare without bothering to check the regular advance-purchase round trip.
 #1226553  by acelaphillies

Jersey_Mike wrote:If anyone finds a video of that train doing the ton on the NEC or HBG Line let me know. Train maxed out at 109 so it wasn't permanently hobbled.
Is this what you are looking for? I shot this on Saturday monring on the NEC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pazPf1jhGMM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1226572  by westernfalls

Jersey_Mike wrote:If anyone finds a video of that train doing the ton on the NEC or HBG Line let me know. Train maxed out at 109 so it wasn't permanently hobbled.
Would Jersey Mike care to explain "the ton" and what it was that "wasn't permanently hobbled"?
Lady Penelope wrote:I show 23 cars on the computer. Shows 7 cars added due to demand. The video and thread is old.
Would the Lady Penelope care to divulge what his/her computer was connected to when it listed 23 cars?
 #1226618  by Greg Moore

ExCon90 wrote:
Patrick Boylan wrote:On the Hudson line or Empire Connection you get to gorgeous scenery within less than 10 minutes of leaving Penn Station New York, and it gets better and better pretty much nonstop to at least Albany. It is however not rare trackage, there are more than 5 Amtrak trains a day, and throngs of Metro North trains, so Amtrak might have problems marketing special trains.
Even at that it might be worth trying. There are people who will sign up for an excursion (especially a fall-foliage excursion) who would not ordinarily think "hey, it's a nice day, let's go to Albany and back" on a regular train. They'd probably also pay a premium fare without bothering to check the regular advance-purchase round trip.
More than 10 trains a day is an understatement :-)

But, what I'd love to do is a ride up the WEST side of the Hudson for a change.
 #1226643  by JimBoylan

The West Shore of the Hudson, and the Boston & Albany RR are now CSX lines. The secret to the routing of the 2013 trip was Norfolk Southern, which does have routes from the New York City area to Harrisburg via Allentown and Reading, and via the Trenton Cutoff.
Now that the State of Massachusetts owns West to Worcester, a Boston South Station to Hoosac Tunnel trip could be possible, without CSXT's permission. The Providence and Worcester might also cooperate for a different routing.
 #1226670  by Jersey_Mike

ryanch wrote:My rough thumbnail - 16 cars, a conservative estimate of 50 pax per car, $90/person, 2 runs adds up to a $140,000 weekend for just this train.
Three of the cars were non-revenue, but I'd say there were at least 70 people per car so that is $160,000 for the weekend. Still, you have to factor in lunch costs and the increased crew costs. I'd say Amtrak made some money, but not a huge amount of money. Still, I'll bet this can be used to ++ Ridership on both the HBG line and NEC.
 #1226674  by Jersey_Mike

westernfalls wrote: Would Jersey Mike care to explain "the ton" and what it was that "wasn't permanently hobbled"?
The Ton and I meant that while the train was a pig to accelerate it still hit the maximum speed authorized for the equipment.
acelaphillies wrote: Is this what you are looking for? I shot this on Saturday monring on the NEC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pazPf1jhGMM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. Reminds me of that NJCoC Special.
 #1226690  by TomNelligan

JimBoylan wrote: Now that the State of Massachusetts owns West to Worcester, a Boston South Station to Hoosac Tunnel trip could be possible, without CSXT's permission. The Providence and Worcester might also cooperate for a different routing.
Hoosac Tunnel is on the Boston & Maine, now the "Pan Am Southern", not on CSX's B&A. Pan Am is an Amtrak operator that recently hosted a private car fantrip on the West End, so my guess is that if Amtrak wanted to run to the Berkshires out of North Station, that could happen.

Amtrak has operating rights over the B&A so they could presumably run a Boston-Berkshires excursion (to Pittsfield, likely) on their own. This has happened in the past under the sponsorship of the Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiasts.

Providence & Worcester does run occasional excursions on its line using its own equipment.
 #1226746  by Mackensen

Jersey_Mike wrote:
ryanch wrote:My rough thumbnail - 16 cars, a conservative estimate of 50 pax per car, $90/person, 2 runs adds up to a $140,000 weekend for just this train.
Three of the cars were non-revenue, but I'd say there were at least 70 people per car so that is $160,000 for the weekend. Still, you have to factor in lunch costs and the increased crew costs. I'd say Amtrak made some money, but not a huge amount of money. Still, I'll bet this can be used to ++ Ridership on both the HBG line and NEC.
According to the conductor there were about 800 people aboard the Saturday train.
 #1226766  by ExCon90

Another possibility might be from LA to Barstow and back over Cajon Pass. Granted it's mileage you can cover any day of the week, but not in daylight from LA out and back the same day. A departure from LA at 8.00 am would mean a departure from Fullerton at 8.35/45, protecting the connection from 763 from San Diego, arriving in Barstow at 12.00 noon. A 2.00 pm departure from Barstow should provide for arrival in Fullerton at ~5.15 pm, connecting with 784's departure at 5.39, with 1790 at 7.59 as fallback. If daisypickers are needed to fill out the train, it might be scheduled for sometime in the spring when desert wildflowers are in bloom, if the dates can be predicted far enough in advance to schedule an excursion (I think they last longer than the cherry blossoms in Washington). It would almost certainly be the only daylight trip over Cajon for the entire year, so that might bring out the railfans, even though there's not much there for mileage collectors (except for the wye at Barstow?). Amtrak seems to have good relations with BNSF (at least based on the Cascades operation), and they ought to be able to slot in a passenger extra amongst the freights. There might even be enough interest to support a separate trip from and to San Diego.