Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1507987  by mcgrath618

rcthompson04 wrote:
8th Notch wrote:I don’t think anyone is implying that they will live a short life in this case, rather that things are going wrong that shouldn’t be at this stage of the game. This is more on Amtrak for lack of maintenance vs build quality (minus some of the cab defects that are already present.)
It will be interesting to see Howe SEPTA does with these locomotives? Definitely a different tempo and service model though.
They’ve served dutifully on the express service, but as stated the daily local set that goes around all day is struggling.
 #1508006  by rcthompson04

I would agree as I ride at least one push pull train a day (usually in the afternoon). They seem to outperform the Toasters and Silverliner IVs and do as well as the Silverliner Vs.

I have taken a few runs of the “all-day Push Pull” service on the Paoli Thorndale Line ( the later Great Valley Flyer). One of the runs was a bit late, but most have performed well. That is a great run for the train as long as not tied up coming from Warminster. But they do seem to struggle on Media Elwyn to Norristown runs from what I can tell.

Related to this topic I saw the disabled Amtrak train stuck in Bryn Mawr today causing chaos.
 #1508692  by Gilbert B Norman

ApproachMedium wrote:I haven't a clue and I'd love to know where this came from. There's two outside Wilmington that don't appear to be wrecked. I forget the numbers; there's one wrapped shoved in the no mans land in Wilmington that's the 627 and 601 is in Bear
First Mr. Approach, please accept my cleaning up your quote that likely was "made on the quick" and on a phone.

Any updates on 601 and 627? If they are to be written off, how about just taking some evidentiary photos and get the usable parts into inventory. If they are to be rebuilt and returned to service, how about "getting on with it"?

It seems astounding the amount of equipment Amtrak has sitting around that could be placed in/returned to revenue service.
 #1508701  by east point

Gilbert B Norman wrote:It seems astounding the amount of equipment Amtrak has sitting around that could be placed in/returned to revenue service.
Didm't the early years of Obama administration have almost 80 pieces ( cars and locos ) rebuilt. ?
 #1508715  by Gilbert B Norman

Agreed, Mr. East Point; Amtrak "did OK" with the allocation of ARRA09 funding. However, with two Talgo sets just sitting around being "easels" for the "Beech Grove Art's Society", the sixteen "unassigned" V-II D's, the two ACS-64's, reports of V-II B's being used for axle count csrs on the IC, one tends to wonder "YYYYYYYY".
 #1508726  by liftedjeep

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Any updates on 601 and 627?
As of last June, #601 was in its wrap, coupled up to "Beech Grove" behind the car shops in Bear.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4978431" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben
 #1509330  by DutchRailnut

still its not like Amtrak can just pull 28 million out of hat as if it was a bunny.
 #1509335  by liftedjeep

rcthompson04 wrote:You got to wonder why Amtrak did not pick up the unused SEPTA options (3) to replace the two damaged locomotives.
From what I have heard, Amtrak still has more then enough City Sprinters to handle the daily load. That's taking into consideration the two that are out for the count, and any others that might shopped on any given day for daily maintenance.

I don't think Amtrak needs the unused Septa 3....... yet

Ben
 #1509567  by mcgrath618

mtuandrew wrote:If Amtrak were to use those options, how simple would it be to build to the original Amtrak specs versus the reduced-power SEPRA specs? Same with the computer equipment, can it be backdated?
The SEPTA Sprinters also don't have bathrooms, so those would have to be somehow added. How difficult that would be I'm not sure.
 #1509617  by MattW

mtuandrew wrote:If Amtrak were to use those options, how simple would it be to build to the original Amtrak specs versus the reduced-power SEPRA specs? Same with the computer equipment, can it be backdated?
Isn't the reduced power just a software option?