• Amtrak Google Maps Real Time Train Tracking

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

Wow! According to this, Amtrak and Google Maps are introducing real time train tracking. This is really useful, because I've wanted to kill Julie (the phone recording answering machine) so many times when I was looking for my train... "I'm sorry, I don't recognize that number, press or say the number of your train... and you want that for today, correct?"

It's also nice if I'm just goofing off trackside and I want to see if there's a train nearby - way easier than the schedule app.

http://blog.amtrak.com/2013/09/google-maps-engine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Today we're launching a new interactive tool that we created with Google to help you track any of our more than 300 daily trains and more accurately predict arrival times. The map covers coast to coast movements, 365 days a year and can be accessed 24 hours a day with just the click of a mouse."

It appears the app has not launched yet, the link leads to the old route map.
  by lirr42

It's working now, you go to this page on Amtrak's Website and you click the big banner that says "get tracking now" at the top. Then there's a JavaScript popup window that springs up and shows you everything. It's quite cool.
  by Ken W2KB

Cool! Just found 2165 on which I currently am, and looking out the window, the location appears correct. :-)
  by rohr turbo

This is the picture I get right now:

Is it correct to assume the CZ is being rerouted over the Cheyenne route?
  by lirr42

Mr. Turbo, 5(28), 5(29), and 6(29) all experienced a disruption as per the other status maps, so I think that might be a possibility.

Interesting find on the first day of the new software. It's coming in handy sooner than expected!
  by Tadman

Turbo, it is indeed. Moffatt tunnel is being worked on and there's a few pics of 5/6 being re-routed over the Overland on railpictures.net. Good guess.
  by afiggatt

lirr42 wrote:Mr. Turbo, 5(28), 5(29), and 6(29) all experienced a disruption as per the other status maps, so I think that might be a possibility.

Interesting find on the first day of the new software. It's coming in handy sooner than expected!
Actually it is the second day of the new feature. It was on Amtrak's website on Sunday morning. Initial reports are that it is a little glitchy with different mixes of OS and browser versions. Exiting the browser or the website and then going back to the map can sometimes help get the map up with the location markers. It can also be sluggish, but I figure it will take a while to get the kinks out.

The map is clearly showing the GPS reported location and current speed snapshot of the trains. Whether they are on a scheduled route or a detour. So this will be handy to observe the route and train speeds for detours of the CZ, TE,and Coast Starlight. Have to experiment with it to see what the update rate is, but it appears to be at least several minutes between updates.
  by hi55us

It makes sense that they are doing this now, as Dixieland software has been doing it for years (by piggybacking off the amtrak website) and the on-board wifi now tells you where your train is.

It's very cool how it shows the Auto Train and it shows the speed of the train.
Last edited by hi55us on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by lirr42

hi55us wrote:It makes sense that they are doing this now, as Dixieland software has been doing it for years (by piggybacking off the amtrak website) and the on-board wifi now tells you where your train is.
I think this is a bit better than the Dixieland software too. The Dixieland software was basically just a static series of dots and when the train was reported at the next station the dot would move up. These new maps basically show you exactly where the train is in real time.
  by Greg Moore

I'm having a lot of fun with this.

But you know one thing I like... it shows that Amtrak actually has a lot of trains in motion. It's almost deceptive in that sense.

i.e. we all know there's "one train a day" between NYP and NOL (19/20). But when you look, you'll possibly see MORE trains because you start to see train 19/20 of today AND yesterday. I suspect this might help people think, "hey, Amtrak is a bit more than just a train here or there."
  by electricron

David Benton wrote:I take it the white lines are other railroads?
No, the white lines in that map are Interstate Highways (IHs).
Of course, most IHs parallel railroad corridors, but there's more than one location on the map where there aren't railroads paralleling the IHs, so they are definitely representing IHs.