Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#888871  by Champlain Division

Okay, Amtrak has released drawings and artists concepts for future corridor cars and new electric locomotives. Why is it that this, the FIRST, order Amtrak placed has yet to release any information? Something just doesn't look right!

Come on, you guys!!!
 #888893  by DutchRailnut

cause no new corridor cars have been ordered yet ?? as for new electrics, plenty of info available, but thats another topic.
 #889605  by Champlain Division

Exactly my point. They've released drawings of cars they haven't ordered yet; but won't release drawings of cars they HAVE ordered!!!

Am I the only one or does anybody else see the backward logic here?
 #889677  by DutchRailnut

you do realize that besides a very few railbuffs no one cares what non-revenue service cars will look like ??
expect the car shape to be like viewliner and you won't be disappointed.
 #889768  by Jishnu

Champlain Division wrote:Exactly my point. They've released drawings of cars they haven't ordered yet; but won't release drawings of cars they HAVE ordered!!!

Am I the only one or does anybody else see the backward logic here?
The only place where they are required to release those Viewliner car drawings is to the manufacturer, and trust me they have, because I have seen them. Whether rail buffs get to see the drawings or not I don't think is of a huge concern to anyone, other than the railbuffs of course :)

The case of the Corridor Cars is different, because in that case they are trying to establish a standard that will be eventually used by several agencies, hence they need to be discussed in a more public fashion. What has been released AFAIK is a draft document, that is yet to be finalized.
 #889873  by Champlain Division

Gentlemen, you write as if you don't consider yourselves "railbuffs" I hate to break it to you, but you both most certainly are or you wouldn't be on this forum.

Railbuff is a term generally used by those outside of the rail enthusiast community, at least as I have experienced it. "Train Buff" is even more a Joe Public reference used by the uneducated sometimes to deride us, the educated, who prefer to refer to ourselves a "Railfans".

Buff or Fan or whatever, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to see what these various cars are going to look like. Besides, it is just downright unusual for an order to be given to a manufacturer and there not be the virtually prerequisite artists concepts, drawings and general marketing hype.

And upon that gospel I stand. Halleluia!!!
 #901624  by Champlain Division

Okay, I TOLD you all that something didn't look right!!!

CAFUSA has dropped any mention of the Viewliner II order from its website.

Has Amtrak quietly cancelled this contract?

If I were CAFUSA and still had that contract I would definitely be crowing about it online.

The Republicans may be anti-Amtrak, but they aren't the Gestapo, for Pete's sake!!!
 #901696  by afiggatt

Champlain Division wrote:Okay, I TOLD you all that something didn't look right!!!

I would not get to excited about things like this. Any reference to the order might have been moved or accidentally deleted because of a web site revision or shuffle. The Viewliner 2 order was listed in the Amtrak FY2012 budget request which was sent out earlier this week.
 #901711  by goodnightjohnwayne

afiggatt wrote:
Champlain Division wrote:Okay, I TOLD you all that something didn't look right!!!

I would not get to excited about things like this. Any reference to the order might have been moved or accidentally deleted because of a web site revision or shuffle. The Viewliner 2 order was listed in the Amtrak FY2012 budget request which was sent out earlier this week.
Amtrak's FY2012 budget request seems to be a work of fantasy, considering the new political and fiscal realities. Not a great source of comfort in these trying times.

As far as the Viewliner II order, I wouldn't be surprised by any development. It's a very small order, with very high per unit costs stemming from the fact that it's a very small order. It's no wonder that the bidders weren't exactly lining up. In the end, it would have made more sense to defer the sleeper/diner/baggage/dorm car order and combine it with the single level corridor coach requirement.

I'm also not exactly sure if Amtrak has the money in hand. In the current fiscal climate, anything can happen. It seems foolish to be order a tiny number of sleepers when the funding picture is so uncertain.
 #901762  by BuddSilverliner269

DutchRailnut wrote:Other than the Bagage and Bagage Dorm cars there was no CAFUSA Viewliner order.
Huh??? Did I miss something?

Boardman explained that the 130 single-level passenger rail cars are similar to the popular Viewliner model and includes 25 sleeping cars, 25 diners, 55 baggage cars and 25 baggage / dormitory cars for use primarily on long-distance trains. They will replace and supplement the existing fleet, improve financial and on-time performance, and foster a more modern, positive image of Amtrak. In addition, Amtrak can begin to retire some of its oldest cars still in service that date back to the 1940s and 1950s

Also this was qouted in our newest issue of our employee newsletter, The Amtrak Ink
The company has awarded contracts to Siemens, in Sacramento, Calif., to build 70 electric locomotives for Northeast Corridor services, and to CAF, USA, in Elmira, N.Y., to build 130 single-level passenger cars.

This is from the November issue of Amtrak Ink
The locomotive acquisition is the second major equipment purchase of the year. In July, Amtrak made a deal to buy 130 new long-distance rail cars from CAF USA. Both deals are part of the company’s 30-year plan
to completely renew its entire rolling stock fleet. Amtrak’s purchases are expected to lead to a combined 825 jobs in four states as manufacturers add staff to complete the work and help boost the national economy.
 #902557  by DutchRailnut

The order from CAF did not include new corridor cars
yes it includes sleepers/dorms and bagage , but no other cars.
the confusion started when moderator merged two seperate threads

The locomotive acquisition is the second major equipment
purchase of the year. In July, Amtrak made a deal to buy 130 new
long-distance rail cars from CAF USA. Both deals are part of the
company’s 30-year plan to completely renew its entire rolling
stock fleet. Amtrak’s purchases are expected to lead to a combined
825 jobs in four states as manufacturers add staff to
complete the work and help boost the national economy.
“Part of the responsibility of leadership is to ensure that the
men and women meeting our mission have the tools they need to
do the mission well,” said President and CEO Joe Boardman in a
letter to employees announcing the purchase. “Not only does
aging and problematic equipment hurt our ability to deliver
good service, but I know it also takes a toll on our crews.”
The new long-distance cars, which include 25 sleepers, 25
diners and 25 baggage/dorm cars are intended primarily for
operation in the Eastern long-distance routes, while 55
baggage cars will serve routes across the country. They will
replace and supplement the existing fleet, allowing Amtrak to
retire most of its oldest cars, which have been in service for