Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1527592  by gokeefe

ApproachMedium wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:45 amWe only get free coach passage on any train. Any upgraded accomodations are full price now, no discounts. We are not allowed in business class on regionals, period or acela first class anymore. Full price for the auto train too.
Just for clarification ... Are you saying you have to pay the coach ticket on Auto Train as well (in addition to car fare)?
 #1527611  by ApproachMedium

I havnt looked in to the auto train since they changed it but yes, i believe we must pay our fare as well as NO chance to upgrade to sleeper accommodations even if they are empty. Amtrak would often stick first come first served employees traveling on pass in to open sleepers on the auto train to give coach passengers some "breathing room" as coach can fill up quick. We have to pay for the seat, the car, and the food.

The biz class travel is no longer allowed. Acelas we are no longer allowed to do within an hour of travel and zero first class. We used to be able to do first class for $30 and biz for 5 on regional or acelas. They will let a biz class go half empty before they allow employees to take a ticket in one.

And my statement of riding in coach for free on any train, i mean any train thats on a blue day off corridor. Corridor rides we can pretty much always get on, but are not guaranteed a seat. There is no such thing as a standby for amtrak pass rider employees. We either book a seat/accommodation or we do not ride that train unless again, corridor trains do not require a booking to ride and pretty much works as first come first served. Now however! if you are an employee scheduled to deadhead to a trip or from a trip as part of your tour of duty, and you are assigned to that train to deadhead, then technically you should have a coach seat as you would be on the manifest. But even at that, on some very busy trains they may not have anything available due to overbooking.
 #1527647  by Tadman

Didn't NJT cut their employee pass program significantly? And I recently heard a Metra employee say that there is no such thing as a free ride to work.

You can imagine us pukes in the crane industry. We don't get free train rides ever, nor free company products. If we get a company car, it's not a first class or business class affair, usually a cloth-seat Chevrolet.

On the other hand, BNSF just bought two ex-Amtrak/ATSF hi-level cars for shuttling employees to trains when the snow is too high out west for the usual taxi.
 #1527675  by gokeefe

These changes certainly are unfortunate and I am very sympathetic to the point of view that employees should be able to ride for free and take upgrades if they are available. I think I understand the thinking by the company with regards to First Class but very much agreed that they could be more lenient on Business Class.

Frontline Amtrak employees are some of the hardest working people in passenger transportation anywhere. Anybody working on or around trains running into and out of the world's second busiest train station (NYP) has their hands full and then some.

The Long Distance services are "no joke" in their own way.

I can only hope that the deliver of new equipment and continued fiscal improvement of the company will ultimately result in better conditions all around. Better safety would be a good start.
 #1527680  by Tadman

gokeefe wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:08 pm Frontline Amtrak employees are some of the hardest working people in passenger transportation anywhere. Anybody working on or around trains running into and out of the world's second busiest train station (NYP) has their hands full and then some.
I fully understand that this statement is not to the detriment of airline and commuter train employees, but those folks work very hard, too. The time has come when freebie travel options for employees or families are just not making sense anymore, and it's not just one carrier hoodwinking their employees, it's across the board.
 #1529812  by jp1822

Alphaboi wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:50 pm Does anyone know when the Viewliner II sleeps will start to enter service and on which routes?
That’s the million dollar question we are all waiting for!!! It would also be nice if Amtrak deployed more than just the 11 Viewliner Diners - aka Sleeper Lounges (14 Production + 1 Prototype could be deployed!). Beautiful cars with no assignments!
 #1530282  by Rockingham Racer

jp1822 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:52 pm
Alphaboi wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:50 pm Does anyone know when the Viewliner II sleeps will start to enter service and on which routes?
That’s the million dollar question we are all waiting for!!! It would also be nice if Amtrak deployed more than just the 11 Viewliner Diners - aka Sleeper Lounges (14 Production + 1 Prototype could be deployed!). Beautiful cars with no assignments!
Apparently, 91/92 are getting them next May.
 #1530305  by mcgrath618

Rockingham Racer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:23 am
jp1822 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:52 pm
Apparently, 91/92 are getting them next May.
As in 5 months or as in 17?