Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1526908  by ApproachMedium

Looks to be regular on 19/20 I think i saw one on 92 or 98 the other day behind the regular baggage car which made no sense unless it was being strictly used as a dorm car
 #1526933  by mtuandrew

ApproachMedium wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:58 am Looks to be regular on 19/20 I think i saw one on 92 or 98 the other day behind the regular baggage car which made no sense unless it was being strictly used as a dorm car
It could have been deadheading to Hialeah for commissioning and/or maintenance?
 #1526983  by lordsigma12345

mtuandrew wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:34 am
USRailFan wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:53 amThey could always rebuild the diners they wasted money on instead of using them for axle count cars...
I think it’s better to build them out into cafe/diner-lite cars with a vastly smaller kitchen. Amtrak will need those eventually, and it would be a much cheaper conversion. (Still expensive of course.)

That frees up some older, worn-out cafes for axle count, if needed.
I think that's the plan. They want to go to a single car model. Once they figure out a final layout for the car you're probably going to see the unused/axle count diners go in to get modified followed by those that are in service - then you'll probably see the amfleet cafes go away. I wouldn't be surprised if they basically just modify the kitchen side of the diner with a carry out counter for the café and just stick both LSAs in the kitchen and restrict the diner seating for sleeper passengers only - coach passengers would have to carry away their meals and eat at their seat - of which a big chunk of people do anyway when visiting the café car. That's my guess for the direction they'll end up going and it would be the cheapest way to do it.
 #1527366  by gokeefe

Exactly. Hopefully the diners will make their way back into the good graces of the executive suite eventually. I'm sure it won't be as "full service" dining but limited use as a lounge/cafe would be nice to see.
 #1527391  by SouthernRailway

Are the interiors of the dorm portions of the Viewliner II baggage-dorms identical to the sleeping car rooms in Viewliner II sleepers?

If so, maybe Amtrak could sell that space for even more sleeping car space on occasion?
 #1527394  by gokeefe

They might be but the cars probably do not have the required ADA accomodations which as I recall must be present in every car.
 #1527397  by mtuandrew

gokeefe wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:36 pm They might be but the cars probably do not have the required ADA accomodations which as I recall must be present in every car.
And woe be it unto the switching crew that accidentally puts the baggage section between the Roomettes and the rest of the train.
 #1527464  by Greg Moore

So it seems to me generally the bag-dorms will be filled with crew actually on the trains.

But, I can see circumstances (especially with the new fubared diner setup) where there's a cabin or two open.
I understand there are certain ways that off-duty crew can ride for personal reasons. I can see these being a nice additional perk without impacting revenue.
 #1527482  by ApproachMedium

Greg Moore wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:15 pm So it seems to me generally the bag-dorms will be filled with crew actually on the trains.

But, I can see circumstances (especially with the new fubared diner setup) where there's a cabin or two open.
I understand there are certain ways that off-duty crew can ride for personal reasons. I can see these being a nice additional perk without impacting revenue.
Employees are not allowed to ride for personal reasons anymore on vouchers. Everyone must pay. We only get free coach passage on any train. Any upgraded accomodations are full price now, no discounts. We are not allowed in business class on regionals, period or acela first class anymore. Full price for the auto train too. They took everything away. How can we ride our own stuff and preach the praises of it to friends and family if we have to pay full price?? Guess ill just drive!
 #1527494  by Greg Moore

Bah, that's idiotic. Seriously. I mean I can see "no ride on business/Acela except on standby because we want to sell out seats" but especially on something like a bag-dorm, I'd hope they'd rethink the policy.

Yes, I get revenue seats need to be filled, but as you say, comping employees is a great morale and goodwill gesture.

Blah.