Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1505236  by bostontrainguy

Did you see the posting of the pics of the cafe car on the Lake Shore Limited Boston section? They have removed 4 tables to put in bike racks!!! Seriously Amtrak?

These baggage/dorms got to get out there and stop the insanity!

(PS - for those who don't know, Amtrak has removed the baggage car from 448/449 and eliminated checked baggage)
 #1505435  by Tadman

I wish they'd store the full bags and replace with bag-dorms. Those bags are half empty, so it would be better to run bag-dorms with crew sleeping in the dorms and more revenue space, but same car count and head count.
 #1505438  by Gilbert B Norman

Rockingham Racer wrote:The bag dorms ARE out there, on their way to Hialeah. Probably for storage would be my guess.
Unless something has occurred not reported by the several railroad forums, one Bag-Dorm and one Sleeper have been delivered. Neither is in revenue service, and apparently are just "tinker toys" at present.
 #1505442  by Bob Roberts

Tadman wrote:I wish they'd store the full bags and replace with bag-dorms. Those bags are half empty, so it would be better to run bag-dorms with crew sleeping in the dorms and more revenue space, but same car count and head count.
And give the crew a place to camp out other than the tables in the cafe (4 tables were consumed by crew on the 79 last week)
 #1506237  by mcgrath618

Question: I just saw two of these diners on an Amtrak train pulling into 30th from NYC, and it’s opposite. What trains would these have been, and are these things in revenue service now?

Btw they met each other at 30th around 3:45 PM.
 #1506332  by andrewjw

mcgrath618 wrote:Question: I just saw two of these diners on an Amtrak train pulling into 30th from NYC, and it’s opposite. What trains would these have been, and are these things in revenue service now?

Btw they met each other at 30th around 3:45 PM.
The diners have been in revenue service for some time.
 #1506347  by Gilbert B Norman

andrewjw wrote:The diners have been in revenue service for some time.
And even to such extent that while only eleven of such are needed to fill the existing assignments, there are all twenty five on hand - quite enough for "protects and shops".
 #1506476  by jp1822

I bet Amtrak would make more money by charging a modest fee for people to use or access the Viewliner II Diner - as a lounge or business class car or something creative - than hauling around a Viewliner Baggage car on some eastern long distance trains (Silver Meteor aside). Amtrak could keep the kitchen closed, and monetize the "other space" - booth seating etc. - for those that want to enjoy this car's comfort in viewing the scenery on the Cardinal, or completing work AND viewing the scenery considering the Vermonter's daylight schedule through New England and peak period travel on the NEC. Many business folks on the NEC enjoy the booth seating for "finishing out their day" working on their laptops in the Amfleet Lounge/Cafe car.

I have been fairly impressed with the Viewliner II production car (Tallahassee) on the Crescent on a recent trip and even the prototype diner when on the Lake Shore Limited. The double row of windows particularly makes this a VERY nice car.

Amtrak has had these brand new multi-million dollar cars parked long enough and to not find SOME SORT of use for them as most long distance trains and others enter peak travel season. Such a waste, and potentially misuse of [brand-new high-end] assets.