Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1491180  by Tadman

Matt Johnson wrote:
From a customer service perspective, it makes zero sense that overnight sleeper passengers can't expect at least the food quality of Acela first class.
Based on what? The Acela First passenger adds a big chunk of revenue to the bottom line, the Sleeper passenger takes a big chunk away.

Either way you look at it, I’ve had Acela First meals and they’re not that good, certainly not as good as the Sleeper meals under Wick Moorman. I’m not sure it’s a comparison you want to make in the first place.
 #1491196  by Amtrak706

Tadman wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:
From a customer service perspective, it makes zero sense that overnight sleeper passengers can't expect at least the food quality of Acela first class.
Based on what? The Acela First passenger adds a big chunk of revenue to the bottom line, the Sleeper passenger takes a big chunk away.

Either way you look at it, I’ve had Acela First meals and they’re not that good, certainly not as good as the Sleeper meals under Wick Moorman. I’m not sure it’s a comparison you want to make in the first place.
Moorman did not change anything about Sleeper meals so I am not really sure what you are talking about. And how do you know that sleeper cars lose money? Amtrak's accounting practices are not exactly accurate.
 #1491339  by electricron

Matt Johnson wrote:I know it's a triviality relative to other current Amtrak issues, but I stand by my earlier claim that the Phase III stripes show dirt and grime more and don't age as well as the Phase IV.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqLJxTVB4tb ... 0cpzg2d7wz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So what's so wrong cleaning the stripes more often?
While they are at it, how about cleaning the windows more often too!
 #1491365  by ThirdRail7

electricron wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:I know it's a triviality relative to other current Amtrak issues, but I stand by my earlier claim that the Phase III stripes show dirt and grime more and don't age as well as the Phase IV.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqLJxTVB4tb ... 0cpzg2d7wz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So what's so wrong cleaning the stripes more often?
While they are at it, how about cleaning the windows more often too!

Not all places the trains operate have car washing facilities. Indeed, some trains may not get near them for days at a time.
 #1491470  by electricron

ThirdRail7 wrote:Not all places the trains operate have car washing facilities. Indeed, some trains may not get near them for days at a time.
Who's fault is it that Amtrak doesn't have enough washing facilities?
 #1491472  by ApproachMedium

Other problem is like train 90, doesnt get to SSYD till after the car wash closes. Without the old pennsylvanian swap like they used to do the cars basically do not get cleaned. The add on cars from DC do. When the train arrives the car goes thru the wash gets cleaned inside and out. So it always looks diff.
 #1491509  by east point

ApproachMedium wrote:Other problem is like train 90, doesnt get to SSYD till after the car wash closes. Without the old pennsylvanian swap like they used to do the cars basically do not get cleaned. The add on cars from DC do. When the train arrives the car goes thru the wash gets cleaned inside and out. So it always looks diff.
This is another example that Amtrak is too thin in service. Amtrak cannot afford to have the nmber car wash facilities that it could if service was more extent.
A car wash ( or any other kind of wash ) needs to be able to capture the run off, send thru a separation device and then be able to reuse most of the detergent and water and just dispose of the dirt. That is not cheap. As an example the airlines also have those kind of facilities with the added proviso that the facility can separate the anti-icing fluid as well.
 #1491515  by Matt Johnson

I think the decals quickly become stained to the point where a wash doesn't do much. That's one reason I think the dark blue Phase IV bands with minimal white tend to age better.
 #1491551  by jp1822

Tadman wrote:I doubt Via wants either new or used diners at this point. The Canadian and Ocean are at historic lows in frequency and the Chaleur is probably gone for good. They probably have more diners than they know what to do with, and all the diners match right now, coming from the same CP fleet.
VIA‘s actually renovating four former CP Budd Diners for the Canadia n coming up!With only 13 Diners in the fleet (total)they need all the Diners they can get。They have no surplus of diners....They need at least 8 diners for the Canadaian in peak season、then at least one fo r Hudson Bay Service. Leaves only 4 diners spare - the exact number going for renovating!!!
 #1491553  by amtrakhogger

mtuandrew wrote:But what if the engineer forgot to bring a roll of quarters? :wink:

If an automated commercial car wash can recycle most of its effluent dozens of times daily, Amtrak should be able to do the same.
Detergent for trains is an acid (sulfuric?) base, I don't know if that can be recycled or reused.
 #1491555  by jp1822

Best that Amtrak can do is wait for the RFI to come back and let them battle it out with the unions when the recommendation is for F&B service to be outsourced to a third party that would save Amtrak a lot of money. Not saying I am supporting this, just saying that this will likely be the fight that Amtrak pursues. How they will deal with logistics - loading food as opposed to carrying it onboard for the entire trip, will be interesting to find out. But these are all things Amtrak’s looking for in the RFI.

If Amtrak can “outsource” the whole diner operation and be done with it, they will gladly hand over the Viewliner II Diner. I am thinking some sort of buffet style food arrangement.
 #1491566  by east point

amtrakhogger wrote:[
Detergent for trains is an acid (sulfuric?) base, I don't know if that can be recycled or reused.

If it is acid ( maybe muratic acid ) still has to be reclaimed and recycled . No discharge would be allowed. Same with glycol for aircraft de icing though some airlines in past have not been caught .. Remember new RR fueling bays must have reclamation of spilled fuel.