Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1486532  by Arlington

ApproachMedium wrote:Maybe by the time i retire ill see them all delievered... before CAF meets their commitment.
Haven't we determined that it is as much that Amtrak is not eager to take delivery?
 #1486553  by gokeefe

Arlington wrote:Haven't we determined that it is as much that Amtrak is not eager to take delivery?
Not at all. We don't really know what happened at this point. Amtrak OIG might ...
 #1486606  by ApproachMedium

Arlington wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:Maybe by the time i retire ill see them all delievered... before CAF meets their commitment.
Haven't we determined that it is as much that Amtrak is not eager to take delivery?
Amtrak would gladly take all the cars at once when they are ready. Amtrak took 18 baggage cars at once.
 #1486985  by Amtrak706

ApproachMedium wrote:
Arlington wrote:
Amtrak would gladly take all the cars at once when they are ready. Amtrak took 18 baggage cars at once.
But that was still during the pro-LD administration that ordered them.
 #1489070  by Matt Johnson

dgvrengineer wrote:Anyone heard anything about more car releases from CAF? Hopefully they will get out some more baggage-dorms and maybe a sleeper or two soon.
Nope, but I've seen recent photos of the prototype Viewliner diner 8400 being used along with old Heritage cars to meet axle count requirements in Illinois. Sickening.
 #1489123  by ApproachMedium

thats not sickening. at least its being used. Whats sickening is the sale of lots of cars and engines that could be rebuilt to fill gaps in service.
 #1489518  by mtuandrew

True, Amtrak could use any box on wheels to satisfy CN’s axle count nonsense. It has a deep backlot still at Beech - why not any shell of a car, like a wreck-repair Horizon or Amfleet without a complete interior? It even might have a few MHCs that could serve the purpose, if they can get COTS successfully.
 #1489580  by Gilbert B Norman

twropr wrote:According to my notes, "Dover", "Frankford" and "Providence" diners still have not been released from CAF.
Is this correct?
Andy
Actually, it's Albany, Dover, and Frankfort.

When I saw that the immediate post was made by Mr. Approach, I thought something had been released. There are still thirty seven cars to go (the noted three Diners, nine Dorms, and twenty five Sleepers).

There has been nothing released in four months; the Dorms and Sleepers represent additional revenue space to sell. The status of the unfilled order is "most definitely on the QT".
 #1489743  by Tadman

I think we're confusing a few different problems here. As I see it, the issues being discussed are:

1. What to do with diners not used for full service in the short term (IE current administration)
2. What do do with diners long term
3. What to do for axle count cars
4. What did the state ask for?
5. How to sell these seats in the diners-table cars

In the short term, most anything is better than being an axle count car. I think they could honestly sell a table seat as a sort of business class seat. I like to spread out my work. While the benches aren't ideal for 6-8 hour rides, they are just fine for 2-4 hours. It's worth noting that busines class sells out frequently on midwest trains, which means the car counts for axles anyway while earning revenue.

In the long term, that's anybody's guess. It all goes back to that famous question we can never solve - is this a business or a service?

What to do for axle count cars? Honestly, I've always thought that if this rule is going to stay for long term, Amtrak should order six-axle power and passenger cars. Yes, it's more costly and old fashioned, but how crazy is dragging empty and old baggage cars around? How crazy is it to drag around brand new diners? None of the above makes any sense.

What did the states ask for? I don't know that states are always the heart of innovation. It might be worth take the proposal to the states and selling them on upgraded business class with new cars and maybe a coffee/snack stand. Just because the state didn't ask for it doesn't mean you can't sell them on it.

How to sell the seats? This is an open ended discussion, but I sure wouldn't give them away.
 #1489862  by Gilbert B Norman

mtuandrew wrote:
Sorry, this is way beyond V-IIs.
You said it, Mr. Stephens; this topic has gone wild.

Official sources have simply gone "Ziplips" regarding when, or if, the 37 remaining V-II's will be delivered. Even the reliable "internal" sources around here have gone noticably silent.

But lest we forget the contract between Amtrak and CAF is bilateral and exempt from public disclosure. Any litigation that has or may arise from the execution of this contract is likewise shielded.

It's time for "Phase V - Acceptance" that little, if any, information regarding performance of the contract will be available in the public domain.

But allow me to say, this has been the most "botched" major procurement of equipment Amtrak has confronted within its 47 years of existence.
 #1489880  by Matt Johnson

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
But allow me to say, this has been the most "botched" major procurement of equipment Amtrak has confronted within its 47 years of existence.
Assuming the RTL-III Turboliner upgrade doesn't count as major, then I guess it's either this or the Nippon-Sharyo bilevel order. At least this has produced some actual rolling stock, though I guess the other procurement will too in the form of Siemens single level cars.

Any word on where the one bag-dorm went after being delivered?