Railroad Forums 

• Acela Replacement and Disposition Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1307170  by CComMack

If we're floating Nippon Sharyo, then we should probably also mention its partner/competitor on the N700 series Shinkansen, Kawasaki. There is already a Shinkansen variant built European safety standards (THSR's 700T), so if FRA crash standards reform gets to Euro- or near-Euro-, the Japanese companies can pull those adaptations off the shelf.
 #1307211  by gokeefe

Not that has been indicated publicly for the former joint order. There is a Chinese firm bidding on the CA HSR trainset order separately.
 #1307218  by Greg Moore

Backshophoss wrote:There was talk about GE and Alstom were in merger talks earlier this year,but was quashed by
the French Governmentfor political reason.
Source on that? As far as I can tell, the deal is still on.

However the train unit of Alstom is not part of the deal. It's primarily the energy side.
 #1307340  by Backshophoss

Believe that was a burb in the NY Times,a month or so back,(Hard copy version)
and in the Wall Street Journal. Both stories will be buried behind the paywalls. :(
 #1307651  by Tadman

I always liked those Metroliner EMUs, but talk about all sizzle and no steak. They didn't quite live up to the promises of that poster.
 #1307798  by gokeefe

Tadman wrote:I always liked those Metroliner EMUs, but talk about all sizzle and no steak. They didn't quite live up to the promises of that poster.
My perspective on this question is that the route was at fault and not the rolling stock.

Regardless, Amtrak today is very much the opposite of moribund, corrupt and inept Penn Central. There is not a single day in the history of the Penn Central when trains operated at 150 MPH in regularly scheduled revenue service. Amtrak has done this as a routine matter since December 11, 2000. The new speed limit of 160 MPH will also place that section of the NEC "officially" at a higher speed rating than the minimum for the French TGV classification.

I am very much looking forward to the positive effects on Amtrak's NEC capital budget that will be generated by the ultra high visibility improvements in New Jersey. Combined with the new trainsets coming into service at roughly the same time I think the effect will be quite mesmerizing to the media.
 #1307804  by Backshophoss

As an EMU,Metroliners became "shop queens",before and after rebuilding,however,as the shells were converted to
coaches/cabcars,they became a useful part of the fleet,2 cars found their way to be part of Amtrak's Biz car fleet
(9800,conference car,and 10005,Catenary inspection car)
Over time 2 Acela I sets will stick around,1set for high speed track geometry testing with the Acela track Geometry car,
the other set for Charter work along the NEC(Baseball/Football team charters,etc...).

Not sure if the "Eurostar" used in the "Chunnel" services between UK and rest of Europe has
started a 2nd generation design yet, could be adapted for NEC,"Eurostar" has to run
across many different Catenary voltages/hertz(AC+DC)and different Cab Signal systems.
At least on the NEC,2 different Catenary voltages and 1 hertz change,with ACSES/cab signals
across the entire corridor.
 #1307840  by deathtopumpkins

Backshophoss wrote:Not sure if the "Eurostar" used in the "Chunnel" services between UK and rest of Europe has
started a 2nd generation design yet, could be adapted for NEC,"Eurostar" has to run
across many different Catenary voltages/hertz(AC+DC)and different Cab Signal systems.
At least on the NEC,2 different Catenary voltages and 1 hertz change,with ACSES/cab signals
across the entire corridor.
The 2nd-generation Eurostar trains have already begun testing and will enter service sometime next year. A bit farther along than starting design.

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 58642.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think it would be feasible to adapt for American use.
 #1307847  by Jishnu

Greg Moore wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:There was talk about GE and Alstom were in merger talks earlier this year,but was quashed by
the French Governmentfor political reason.
Source on that? As far as I can tell, the deal is still on.

However the train unit of Alstom is not part of the deal. It's primarily the energy side.
Yes it was the Energy side of the house only, and the deal was approved by France. Here you go....

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/ ... ness/?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1307893  by Ridgefielder

Tadman wrote:I always liked those Metroliner EMUs, but talk about all sizzle and no steak. They didn't quite live up to the promises of that poster.
You know, though- given that they were the basis for the Amfleets which have now been soldiering on in daily mainline service on the NEC for 40+ years-- longer than the legacy streamlined equipment lasted, and longer even than the heavyweights lasted in first-class service in pre-Amtrak days-- you could consider the design a success.
 #1307903  by Matt Johnson

Ridgefielder wrote:
You know, though- given that they were the basis for the Amfleets which have now been soldiering on in daily mainline service on the NEC for 40+ years-- longer than the legacy streamlined equipment lasted, and longer even than the heavyweights lasted in first-class service in pre-Amtrak days-- you could consider the design a success.
A successful coach design with a failed EMU propulsion system, basically! But I do think the Amfleets are crude by today's standards, and the Acela Express coaches exemplify what I'd want in a modern coach design. My biggest gripes with the Amfleets are small windows (rectified on the Amfleet II of course), rough riding trucks (easily rectified by ditching the inboard bearing trucks), and HVAC that always seems to be troublesome (and I've gathered can only be controlled from outside the car).

But also the cramped vestibules with all the bare metal (which I've found is quite slippery when wet) contrasts sharply with the Acela's more open and modern finished vestibule design with proper flooring, restrooms that are separated from the passenger area via automatic sliding doors, generous lighting, etc. I'm sure the next-gen HSR equipment will retain those modern features, but whether the next-gen Regional coaches do we'll have to see. (My good 'ol favorite trains - the rebuilt RTL-III Turboliners - did demonstrate that such design elements can certainly be done on non-permanently attached coaches with conventional couplers and low level traps. They were kind of like Acela-lite, which I really liked and was part of why I was sad to see 'em fail only to be stuck with only the old Amfleets.)