• Cardinal discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

• 880 posts
  by justalurker66

When was the business class added? Back when IPH started providing business class on the Hoosier State or when Amtrak took back the Hoosier State?

Business class makes more sense on a daily train than a tri-weekly. And if dropping the "business" car allows for improvement of service (a full lounge or another sleeper) that is a bonus.
  by dgvrengineer

Are there enough new sleepers on hand and serviceable to add another sleeping car?
  by Gilbert B Norman

The five V-II Bag-dorms now on the property is a good start.
  by David Benton

According to the Facebook page , the business class car will be replaced by a new Viewdiner , to be used as a sleeper lounge. this is announced as now been "official".
How many seats in the new diners? With only one sleeping car , could they sell some seats in the diner as business class?
  by gokeefe

Well this is a piece of very welcome news. Nice to see efforts being made on routes that have such a hard time making a go of it.
  by jhdeasy

I had the opportunity to observe today's Cardinal, train 51(10), in northern Virginia

P42 locomotive 5, two A2 coaches, one A2 cafe lounge, one A1 business class lounge (lounge section forward, with business class section to rear against sleeper), one V1 sleeper, and one V2 baggage dorm 69003.

This is the first time I have seen a new V2 baggage dorm operating on this train.
  by Tadman

mtuandrew wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:59 pm Mr. Benton: Good idea, but you can’t reasonably sell a bench seat at a table. There’s no conventional seats in a V-II diner.
I agree with your statement, but that's exactly what Iowa Pacific did. Their "business class" was a full dome. Every seat was at a larger table, basically a dining car arrangement, with low-back seats to allow full 360-views.

I enjoyed the dome a bit (it was cornfields) but the low-back seats in "business" were a contrast with high-back seats in "coach", which was P-S straight coach. Huh??? The dome was also a very lively affair while the coach was quiet. It totally missed the idea of business class by assuming all businesspeople wanted a dome seat.
  by Jeff Smith

mtuandrew wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:44 pm Moderator Note: pushed a few seating-related posts elsewhere. Carry on.
Good Eye!