Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited bottlenecks

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1239579  by shlustig

In NYC days, there was another interlocking at Mt. St. Vincent which incorporated crossovers to main tracks Tks. 5 & 6 so that freight traffic could merge or diverge there and run straight rail via the bridge.
 #1239601  by F-line to Dudley via Park

shlustig wrote:In NYC days, there was another interlocking at Mt. St. Vincent which incorporated crossovers to main tracks Tks. 5 & 6 so that freight traffic could merge or diverge there and run straight rail via the bridge.
That might be necessary to bring back in some form or another. Constructing a flyover junction in such a tight space is going to be very difficult. There's little to no lateral room to start the flyover incline north of the bridge and sweep overhead with the river and the abutting private property pinning the ROW in to its footprint. And putting the incline further south before the wye requires nuking the bridge for a high span, which is self-defeating on cost. The way to do this may be to do an improved set of universal crossovers right at the junction, and bring back Track 5 to do a second set up by the old Mt. St. Vincent location so there's 2 options to merge/diverge around train meets. Not as elegant as a perfect grade-separated flyover, but this is a high-priority bottleneck that really can't wait for that kind of extremely large funding commitment. Spreading it out and offering up some crossover redundancy around meets may be a fully effective solution that can get done a lot quicker and with less disruption. Save the talk of flyovers for when this is a full NY State HSR line and get something meaningful done here this decade that provides big relief at current traffic levels and effectively provisions for future MNRR-Penn service.
 #1239888  by Tadman

afiggatt wrote: The bridge at Spuyten Duyvil is given a 1990 build/rebuild date and opens approximately 250 times a year.
Worth noting that the Michigan City bridge, which is the same design (age?) but not rebuilt recently, opens 8x/day-ish (3 detroit trains and one to Port Huron, plus their corresponding westbounds, plus random local NS and CSS freights). It stays open except at train time, so it's opened much more than the Spuyten bridge. I'm not aware of any reliability issues.
 #1240008  by Mackensen

Tadman wrote:
afiggatt wrote: The bridge at Spuyten Duyvil is given a 1990 build/rebuild date and opens approximately 250 times a year.
Worth noting that the Michigan City bridge, which is the same design (age?) but not rebuilt recently, opens 8x/day-ish (3 detroit trains and one to Port Huron, plus their corresponding westbounds, plus random local NS and CSS freights). It stays open except at train time, so it's opened much more than the Spuyten bridge. I'm not aware of any reliability issues.
I was on the Wolverine over the 4th of July weekend in 2010 and we spent close to two hours in Michigan City because the bridge was open and wouldn't lock back into place. Terrible time for an issue like that--we had one of those ten-car holiday specials (at least we had two cafes), and we were at that spot in Michigan City where the train sort of leans to one side. Granted, one issue one time does not unreliable make ;).
 #1240025  by BenH

Slightly off topic, but 48(2) was just reported 10 hours 20 minutes late out of Erie, PA. That would put them into NYP at about 5 am tomorrow, if they don't lose any more time, or make up time enroute. I could imagine that many on, or waiting for, this train are thinking to themselves -- "never again."

Details can be found on this link:

http://dixielandsoftware.net/cgi-bin/ge ... &selday=02
Amtrak Status Maps
Train 48(2) / Departed CHI Jan 2, 2014
 #1240111  by jp1822

It's over 13 hours late now trying to get through upstate NY. Be lucky if it makes it into NYC before 1 pm Saturday. Should be interesting to see how this all pans out tomorrow for the turn of #48 to #49 on a same day in Sunnyside. Amtrak used to be able to do same day turns in NYC's Sunnyside Yard, often "robbing Peter to pay Paul" in getting consists out. However, I am sure the arriving #48's equipment is going to have to go to warmer climates on say #97. So this may prove to be some interesting train shuffling if #49 is to get out of NYC on Saturday.
 #1240157  by hi55us

jp1822 wrote:It's over 13 hours late now trying to get through upstate NY. Be lucky if it makes it into NYC before 1 pm Saturday. Should be interesting to see how this all pans out tomorrow for the turn of #48 to #49 on a same day in Sunnyside. Amtrak used to be able to do same day turns in NYC's Sunnyside Yard, often "robbing Peter to pay Paul" in getting consists out. However, I am sure the arriving #48's equipment is going to have to go to warmer climates on say #97. So this may prove to be some interesting train shuffling if #49 is to get out of NYC on Saturday.
I was in NYP last night and #49 was indefinitely "Delayed" and upon review of amtrak.com it looks like it didn't leave until 9:45! He left Buffalo at 8:21 this morning, down 8 hours and 42 minutes...
 #1240164  by ThirdRail7

hi55us wrote:
jp1822 wrote:It's over 13 hours late now trying to get through upstate NY. Be lucky if it makes it into NYC before 1 pm Saturday. Should be interesting to see how this all pans out tomorrow for the turn of #48 to #49 on a same day in Sunnyside. Amtrak used to be able to do same day turns in NYC's Sunnyside Yard, often "robbing Peter to pay Paul" in getting consists out. However, I am sure the arriving #48's equipment is going to have to go to warmer climates on say #97. So this may prove to be some interesting train shuffling if #49 is to get out of NYC on Saturday.
I was in NYP last night and #49 was indefinitely "Delayed" and upon review of amtrak.com it looks like it didn't leave until 9:45! He left Buffalo at 8:21 this morning, down 8 hours and 42 minutes...
So, it has lost roughly 2:30 on the run. That seems typical.
 #1240197  by runningwithscalpels

What time did 48 end up rolling into NYP? Amtrak's site gives an ETA of 8:46am but no definitive arrival time.