Railroad Forums 

• Elyria Station Relocation? - Lake Shore and Capitol Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1116558  by Jeff Smith

As far as I know, these are the only two trains using this station (I believe they join in Cleveland)

Morning Journal
Sherrod Brown seeks relocation of Amtrak service

S. Sen. Sherrod Brown is asking Amtrak and Norfolk Southern Corporation to relocate Amtrak service to the Lorain County Transportation and Community Center.

“Moving Amtrak service to the Lorain County Transit Center would be a tremendous step forward in our efforts to revitalize downtown Elyria and provide a common sense solution to the problems posed by the current station which has no amenities and very little space,” Brown wrote in the letter to Amtrak’s president Joe Boardman.

Brown told Boardman he believes that Amtrak should make use of the recent $5 million renovation of the transportation center, rather than spending to upgrade its current Elyria stop.

“It is my hope that Amtrak will expedite planning, engineering and logistical meetings both with local officials and Norfolk Southern to make this new station a reality.”
 #1116793  by ThirdRail7

Jeff Smith wrote:As far as I know, these are the only two trains using this station (I believe they join in Cleveland)

These trains don't join in Cleveland. Oberlin students are known to use these trains. If this new facility is already ADA compliant, perhaps it is worth considering.
 #1116903  by Station Aficionado

Just as an aside, according to Wikipedia, the current Elyria station (a couple of bolted together trailers) was actually the first Amtrak Lakefront station in Cleveland. Apparently, it was in service there right after Amtrak left Terminal Tower, and was then moved to Elyria when the current Amtrak Lakefront station was built.
 #1116941  by SwingMan

The current Elyria station is..special. I couldn't believe the building was open for the 2-4 people boarding each train (if that many even).

The talk of the intermodal facility has been one of those all talk little action things. I remember reading about it a while back in a local Elyria newspaper.
 #1117362  by neroden

As is fairly typical with station renovation projects, the station renovation project is actually mostly done -- "all but the platform". The building is already renovated, it's already the bus center and already has the local tourist bureau stuff and all the spare space is already rented out. The platform, of course, costs a lot of money.

But it needs to be done anyway. Elyria platform needs to be rebuilt for ADA compliance and it might as well be moved to the intermodal transportation center / old NYC station. The current station is, as someone else said, "special".'

I expect the platform will be off to the east side of the station to avoid most of the curve.