Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Great Dome Schedule Sightings Status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1505954  by NorthWest

There aren't a ton of full domes out there. I don't see Ocean View being scrapped if someone's willing to purchase it for higher than scrap value, which seems to me to be a realistic prospect.
 #1505959  by Backshophoss

Other than "Friends of MILW 261 " ex-MILW Full Dome and BNSF Biz Fleet,the rest of the known "active" Big Domes are under IP ownership,all have 3 axle
trucks, there must be some design glitch in the truck's brake rigging that's creating the "problem" that vex's Amtrak's M of E personel. :(

Is the Exhibit train still at 30th st in philly? or stored elsewhere now? The consist is all Heritage fleet except that "gift shop" Amfleet.
That and the "staff Sleeper" that tags along with Beech Grove "Office Car" are the last "active" Heritage fleet other than the Bags retained for
Axle count service on CN(IC) and Wheel and parts being moved to the Running repair shops across the system.
 #1505962  by NS VIA FAN

Railjunkie wrote:
Ill take a '53 vette with brake issues way cheaper to fix. I got to play with that POS dome car way to many times and cussed it out plenty. It didnt like to stop. When it didnt run it was due to brake issues. Good bye and good riddance
Went to Cuba on vacation and these things right out of the '50s are still in everyday use. BTW....beautiful beaches and resorts...and great people, food and culture + some interesting rail-fanning too!
 #1505972  by chuchubob

Backshophoss wrote:...
Is the Exhibit train still at 30th st in philly? or stored elsewhere now? ...
Still at Penn Coach Yard, 30th Street, Philly.
 #1505980  by Gilbert B Norman

NS VIA FAN wrote:Went to Cuba on vacation
Glad you can go; we can't without jumping through all kind of hoops.

Until we can, here is a discussion link to Mr. Benton's Rail Travel Forum:

viewtopic.php?f=149&t=909" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since they have scrounged the world for equipment, might they be after the Dome? The only requirement they seem to have is Standard Gauge. However, it would first need be sold to a third party in a "friendly foreign nation".

However, they do not appear to be "much on fixing air conditioning"; that could get hot, HOT, HOT
 #1506210  by Tadman

Good to hear, there are so few left in decent shape. Supposedly N88ZL was carrying horses for a while...
 #1506631  by mmi16

ryanov wrote:Travolta's 707 was not scrapped.

https://www.flyingmag.com/john-travolta ... ian-museum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can only imagine what it has cost Travolta to keep or get it back in the air.

My hobby is sports car racing, the price of the car is the cheapest thing in the entire exercise - running and maintaining the car is where the expenses compound - I can only imagine what the costs would be for a 707.
 #1507569  by east point

mmi16 wrote:
ryanov wrote:Travolta's 707 was not scrapped.

https://www.flyingmag.com/john-travolta ... ian-museum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can only imagine what it has cost Travolta to keep or get it back in the air.

My hobby is sports car racing, the price of the car is the cheapest thing in the entire exercise - running and maintaining the car is where the expenses compound - I can only imagine what the costs would be for a 707.
If work could not be done at present location here are some of items.
1, Get certified inspectors to verify that aircraft can fly. If not make necessary repairs.
2. Acquire a one time special ferry permit day time VFR meet other certain weather criteria. Fly non pressurized if required
3. If aircraft has to return or land short then another permit once problems resolved.
4. Start inspections especially looking for corrasion.
5. Replace or get special use permits for each part(s) separately.
6. Same for all 4 engines.
7. Get FAA inspection
8. Fly day VFR test flight.
Final ferry

Note" Paperwork will probablyfill a tractor trailer.